Blistering blue barnacles

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Shizo

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Shizo » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:25 am UTC

It does. I know that I can say almost anything on the internet and not have it affect my life.

If I call someone a nigger IRL, I'm going to get my ass kicked. If I call someone a nigger on the internet, some *chan lurkers will laugh.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:29 am UTC

No we aren't. I accept that you can be a tool on the inter-wob and get away with it. I still disapprove of you doing it.

So don't. Here anyway. If you want some channers to laugh, go do it in their spawning pit.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:14 pm UTC

I hate it when people mispronounce my name. It has 13 letters in it, 10 if you ignore my middle name. No trick letters, no S that actually isn't there. It's pronounced exactly as it's spelt.

And don't insert letters that aren't there. Don't pronounce the apostrophe that you think should be there. We're not talking to half the family because they did that.

*Fumes.*
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:42 pm UTC

Meowgan wrote:I hate it when people mispronounce my name. It has 13 letters in it, 10 if you ignore my middle name. No trick letters, no S that actually isn't there. It's pronounced exactly as it's spelt.

And don't insert letters that aren't there. Don't pronounce the apostrophe that you think should be there. We're not talking to half the family because they did that.

*Fumes.*

Dare I ask what your name is? I have a similar problem, but it's always when being written down. I have a double-barrelled surname, but some people simply cannot wrap their heads around it. They assume I'm telling them my middle name, as if I'm some pretentious fuckwit, and then ignore it and only write down my first and last names. Double-barrelled surnames are NOT RARE!!! WHY do they INSIST on being confused by it?!?! And when I go to pick up a doctor's prescription or a package at the post office, and I tell them my name, they usually just look under R and tell me it's not there. I have to patiently explain to them that my surname does, in fact, begin with an S and they should try looking in that section.

Fresh rant: Couriers + Royal Mail

Why is it, whenever you order a package and the day comes to deliver it, they don't even ATTEMPT to deliver it to you? They always, without fail, just stick a card through the door accusing you of not being home. No knock. Just a card. One time, I was waiting in the living room for my delivery. I heard the card come through the letter box, so I ran to the front door and caught the delivery driver just before he was about to drive away. When asked why he didn't knock, he claimed he tried my doorbell and nobody answered. I don't even HAVE a doorbell. How could he have tried pressing a non-existent button?

Laziness of delivery drivers is not the only thing. I once ordered a book costing 40 quid, and the delivery man put it in my dustbin. And he forgot to put the card through the door telling me where it was. So I was waiting all week for my book to arrive, and I found out the day before the dustbin men were due. One more day, and that 40 quid would have been chucked into a landfill site. I've also had packages of very expensive, delicate electronic components put under my doormat. Just right to be crushed by anyone walking on it.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:43 pm UTC

I have a bunch of trophies and things lying around here with my name spelt incorrectly on them. I've simply stopped caring whether it's Brendan (correct) or Brendon (incorrect)

MechanicalPen

Postby MechanicalPen » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

Mini-rant:

I hate writing thank you notes. I like thanking people but when it takes me an hour and a half to write one note, it's just ridiculous. One down... twelve to go. :x

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

So I got back my scientific abstract in Geology. Several aspects of it were graded on a 1-4 scale.

I'm sure you all remember the 1-4 scale from elementary school:
4=excellence; exceeds standard
3=competence; meets standard
2=development; approaches standard
1=concern; below standard

I got two twos, two fours, and three threes. Each area was worth the same amount of points and so my average grade was exactly a 3.

So my grade was 75%. C.

Gah! Science department, why must you do this? It's time to realize that a C is NOT what you give to someone who meets standards on their assignments! 75% is a BAD grade. You can't convert it by percentage! We have a fucking GPA scale that illustrates this principle quite simply, let me show you it.

4=A
3=B
2=C
1=D
0=F

YOU LEFT OUT THE ZERO! And by doing so, you have SCREWED ME OVER. You keep doing this, claiming that it makes mathematical sense, when it DOESN'T! Stop it! Damn you, science department, damn you to hell! If I had a 2.0 GPA, I couldn't have gotten into college, because a C is BAD and implies that I DID NOT MEET THE FUCKING STANDARDS.

Fuck you, science department; I'm going into women's studies.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:15 pm UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:
benjhuey wrote:Video games always inspire such hilarious rants.

I'm just amazed someone got so worked up about not beating a video game :/

Well, when you try to beat it so many times, yet can't, it can get a little frustrating.

MechanicalPen wrote:Mini-rant:

I hate writing thank you notes. I like thanking people but when it takes me an hour and a half to write one note, it's just ridiculous. One down... twelve to go. :x

Writing thank you notes does suck, but an hour and a half for just one?! What kind of thank you notes are you writing, boy?
多么现在棕色母牛?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:14 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:Grade Rant

A C is as low as you can go and still meet the standards. D is usually not meeting the standards, but they'll send you along anyway. F (or sometimes E) is a failure to meet the standards.

So.. yeah, a C is what you give someone who's met the standards, but not exceeded them. At least, that's my understanding of the grading system. Which is why you can pass and graduate and so forth with a C average.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:22 pm UTC

I'd be more pissed at the geology prof. Grading university level stuff with a 1-4 scale seems... wrong. It's science, how can it be marked so subjectively? There's a reason it's used in elementary.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

Nerds_McGee

Postby Nerds_McGee » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:36 am UTC

well it's called the rant thread, so it seems the most appropriate.
Could somebody PLEASE tell the maker(s) of xkcd that I love them? Seriously. I will marry one if any of them are near my own age (which I'm guessing they are not.) Not only am I pleased to see that this kind of humour survives beyond the teenage years, but I'm also thankful for being reminded of just how wonderful it is to be a nerd. And I must say, BEST Your Mom jokes I've ever heard in my life. :wink:
Thank you ever so much. You're an inspiration to all of us.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:47 am UTC

xkcd is 'produced' by Randall... so it's not really producers (although, davean made the website if you want to count that as helping the production).

And he's only in his mid-20's or somesuch.

And he doesn't read here. Go to irc or something and you can ask him to marry you there.

Meowgan

Postby Meowgan » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:51 am UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:xkcd is 'produced' by Randall... so it's not really producers (although, davean made the website if you want to count that as helping the production).

And he's only in his mid-20's or somesuch.

And he doesn't read here. Go to irc or something and you can ask him to marry you there.

Lol, yep.

He said my knitting was awesome. Because it is.

MechanicalPen

Postby MechanicalPen » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:23 am UTC

I don't mean to make anyone forget the awesomeness of Meowgan's last name, but...

Mini-rant: "I don't see any global warming! It's cold!"
:x
Morbo: GLOBAL WARMING DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY! /Morbo

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:15 am UTC

Here's one.

Otherwise nice, normal, and boring people, who I might get one with in other circumstances, who assume that, with my long hair, I must be a hippy. That's fine by me. But what annoys me, is that these people assume that, because of my carefree, hippy nature, and laid back demeanour, they can come up to me, and tell me I need to get a haircut.

WHAT.

What the fuck gave you the impression that I care?

What the fuck told you that those 6 words, "You need to get a haircut", coming out of your ignorant mouth would make me suddenly reconsider not getting my hair cut after growing it for only 3 years. Dipshit.

I generally turn to them with a pleasant smile, and calmly say, "And you need to fuck off, you simple-minded cuntmonkey."

That generally gets rid of them.

I've ranted about similar things before. I don't care. THESE PEOPLE NEED TO BE TAUGHT A LESSON.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:22 am UTC

At least they aren't asking if you have any trees, then trying to start a fight with you when you look at them like they're goddamn crazy.

That was a fun night.

Also, apparently "got any trees" is/was a late 90's hip way of asking if you had any marijuana to sell. I had to ask about 15 people before someone was able to tell me.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:30 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:At least they aren't asking if you have any trees, then trying to start a fight with you when you look at them like they're goddamn crazy.

That was a fun night.

Also, apparently "got any trees" is/was a late 90's hip way of asking if you had any marijuana to sell. I had to ask about 15 people before someone was able to tell me.

XD

As if I have weed to sell. I can barely afford it myself.

If I want some... I'll scrounge off my mates. O.o

Lycur

Postby Lycur » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:38 am UTC

SPELLED. As it, the word is spelled 'spelled' and, so help me, the next person who spells it 'spelt' is having a toy soldier effigy put in my microwave to melled.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:39 am UTC

i c wot u did ther.

Meowgan

Postby Meowgan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:13 am UTC

sleepygamer wrote:i c wot u did ther.

Oh, you need to get your hair cut.

That one there. *Tugs at a hair.*

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:25 am UTC

Meowgan wrote:
sleepygamer wrote:i c wot u did ther.

Oh, you need to get your hair cut.

That one there. *Tugs at a hair.*

Oh, right.

*Yanks single hair from head*

I see what you mean. This one was pretty crap.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:55 am UTC

Lycur wrote:SPELLED. As it, the word is spelled 'spelled' and, so help me, the next person who spells it 'spelt' is having a toy soldier effigy put in my microwave to melled.

and you are part of the reason that people dislike americans on the internet.

you do -not- see me complaining about you people being unable to spell 'mum' or 'colour'...

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:07 am UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:
Lycur wrote:SPELLED. As it, the word is spelled 'spelled' and, so help me, the next person who spells it 'spelt' is having a toy soldier effigy put in my microwave to melled.

and you are part of the reason that people dislike americans on the internet.

you do -not- see me complaining about you people being unable to spell 'mum' or 'colour'...

Because we Americans are spelling correctly. You Aussies, Brits, and Kiwis are spelling incorrectly.
Live with passion. Die with passion.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:17 am UTC

At least the differences are standardized nowadays. Way back in the day, people just spelled things however the hell they wanted. Good times, good times...
多么现在棕色母牛?

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:44 am UTC

If you're American, sure. Both variants are correct, but 'spelt' is more common in British usage.
*hides toy soldiers* :P

My rant for today: Wedding dress shopping (again).

Meowgan

Postby Meowgan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:05 am UTC

Spelt. Isn't that spilt with a kiwi accent?

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:59 am UTC

Meowgan wrote:Spelt. Isn't that spilt with a kiwi accent?

"Bret" "Brit?" "Bret." "Brit??" "Bret" "Brit as in Britney?" "Bret, B-r-e-t."

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:32 am UTC

3 things:

People who say "Apsolutely" instead of "Absolutely".

People who say "Bought" instead of "Brought". There was a song out a while ago (Sugababes I think) where they said bought about 150-200 times by the time the song was done - I just wanted to curb-stomp the lot of those stupid bitches and the fucker who wrote those lyrics. Fucking Cockends.

People (my mum/northerners) who don't pronounce their "H"s. Confusion usually ensues and you sound like you have some sort of mild retardation.

There's a lot of overlap between the first two sets of people.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

sleepygamer wrote:Here's one.

Otherwise nice, normal, and boring people, who I might get one with in other circumstances, who assume that, with my long hair, I must be a hippy. That's fine by me. But what annoys me, is that these people assume that, because of my carefree, hippy nature, and laid back demeanour, they can come up to me, and tell me I need to get a haircut.

WHAT.

What the fuck gave you the impression that I care?

What the fuck told you that those 6 words, "You need to get a haircut", coming out of your ignorant mouth would make me suddenly reconsider not getting my hair cut after growing it for only 3 years. Dipshit.

I generally turn to them with a pleasant smile, and calmly say, "And you need to fuck off, you simple-minded cuntmonkey."

That generally gets rid of them.

I've ranted about similar things before. I don't care. THESE PEOPLE NEED TO BE TAUGHT A LESSON.

Ditto. Except change 3 years to 6.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:16 pm UTC

ishikiri wrote:People who say "Apsolutely" instead of "Absolutely".
I've taken up saying "absatively" lately. Is that worse?
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:24 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:
Posilutely.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

cypherspace wrote:
JayDee wrote:
Posilutely.

Absotiplay.

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:00 am UTC

My mom is such a bitch sometimes...

We have a rule in our house, Ask before you borrow stuff, and put it back when you're done with it. I was at a friends house, so she "Borrowed" my printer for two days because hers was broken. When I got back, I went to move it downstairs, and she got mad at me.. I told her that I had to print something on my Desktop computer that I couldn't move, But that if she needed to print she could bring her laptop down and use my printer... Then she yells at me for being "Selfish" and complains to my dad about how I have to make sure everything is perfectly fair...

WHAT THE HELL!? If I had even borrowed her printer and then gotten mad when she wanted it back, I would have gotten in trouble, Not even to mention what would happen if I started to call her selfish.

Worst of all, she does this ALL THE FUCKING TIME. Just because I'm your kid doesn't mean you shouldn't treat me the same way you want me to treat you >.<
Rawr!

Socal Swimmer

Postby Socal Swimmer » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:31 am UTC

I hate debates over regional spelling (even joking) so fucking much! They are not funny!

(sorry. :) )
Yawgmoth wrote:Girls who play "hard to get" are the fucking-devil incarnate.

I Am Raven wrote:"I don't wear underwear and like to swing the goods from left to right!"

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:17 am UTC

SPsnow02 wrote:My mom is such a bitch sometimes...

We have a rule in our house, Ask before you borrow stuff, and put it back when you're done with it. I was at a friends house, so she "Borrowed" my printer for two days because hers was broken. When I got back, I went to move it downstairs, and she got mad at me.. I told her that I had to print something on my Desktop computer that I couldn't move, But that if she needed to print she could bring her laptop down and use my printer... Then she yells at me for being "Selfish" and complains to my dad about how I have to make sure everything is perfectly fair...

WHAT THE HELL!? If I had even borrowed her printer and then gotten mad when she wanted it back, I would have gotten in trouble, Not even to mention what would happen if I started to call her selfish.

Worst of all, she does this ALL THE FUCKING TIME. Just because I'm your kid doesn't mean you shouldn't treat me the same way you want me to treat you >.<

It's called a network. It involves not physically moving printers when you want to print something.

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:48 am UTC

My rant:

How some states (including mine) don't sell beer or liquor after fucking midnight.

What the fuck. That is fucking lame as hell. Fucking ruined my night. I only had 4 beers instead of 10. Only got buzzed instead of wasted.

God fucking damnit.

So goddamn stupid. This is the first I've drank in a month or so, and I wanted it to be fucking awesome. Instead it was only mediocre.

FUCK!

Maybe tomorrow night will be better...
Live with passion. Die with passion.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:33 am UTC

My rant:

people who think going out is boring unless they manage to get totally wasted.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:42 am UTC

The language is called English, not American.

My Rant: Americans on the internet who think they are the standard that everyone else needs to meet. The rest of them are fine :D
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Meowgan

Postby Meowgan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:50 am UTC

Rants: Noone's sigged me yet.

Apparently only grandmas knit. Although, the conversation usually goes along the lines of“Whatcha making Grandma?”
“You ever played Starcraft? No. Well, it’s an RTS released by Blizzard games in 1998. One of the Terran units is a Siegetank, it’s produced at the factory with attached machine shop. That is what I’m making. It’s currently in tank mode, and yes, yes I am gonna charge the guy I’m making it for 100 minerals, 150 vespene gas and 2 little men. Next I plan to make a monster truck, an A380 Airbus, a weighted companion cube and an aircraft carrier. Any other questions?”

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:28 am UTC

Meowgan wrote:Noone's sigged me yet.

Sigged.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Return to “General”