Blistering blue barnacles

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
eSOANEM
:D
Posts: 3649
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby eSOANEM » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:56 am UTC

*capitalism*[/jazzhands]

But... you know... free market... something...

That's fucking ridiculous (even moreso than the other fucking ridiculous things).
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3807
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:50 pm UTC

I hit a speed bump going downhill on my bicycle on a poorly lit street at twenty miles per hour and fractured my manubrium and developed a pneumothorax in my left lung.

This means I cannot fly for the next three weeks, which means I cannot go home, which means I cannot see my family for the first time in two years, and also means that I cannot attend my ten-year high school reunion. I cannot participate in the Tour de Cure in November. I cannot even go to bed without difficulty.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 8077
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Zohar » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:05 pm UTC

Ugh, that sucks Speck! I'm sorry. At least it sounds like a relatively short recovery, but it must be frustrating you have to postpone your plans...
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 1996
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Flumble » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:35 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:In the process of them listing what I'm currently paying, one of the line items was a $15 "wifi" fee.

Don't you get, like, bills that list all parts of your subscription? :?

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3807
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:53 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:Ugh, that sucks Speck! I'm sorry. At least it sounds like a relatively short recovery, but it must be frustrating you have to postpone your plans...

The three weeks is just the recovery period for the pneumothorax. They're expecting the manubrium fracture to heal within eight weeks. :(
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5750
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Angua » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:10 pm UTC

As someone who's looking forward to going to see my family in November (last went last September), I would be gutted if something similar happened to me. I'm so sorry :(
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3485
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:38 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:I hit a speed bump going downhill on my bicycle on a poorly lit street at twenty miles per hour and fractured my manubrium and developed a pneumothorax in my left lung.

This means I cannot fly for the next three weeks, which means I cannot go home, which means I cannot see my family for the first time in two years, and also means that I cannot attend my ten-year high school reunion. I cannot participate in the Tour de Cure in November. I cannot even go to bed without difficulty.

All of these sentences were hard to read. My condolences.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3807
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:58 pm UTC

It's hard. I've had an overly stressful year at work and being home would have not only been a major stress reliever, but would have been some temporary relief from island fever. Now I'm mostly stuck at home, parked in front of my computer, only leaving the apartment when I need something and the pain medications have settled in enough that I can drive comfortably.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 8077
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Zohar » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:20 pm UTC

Hopefully you can take your mind off work? Yeah that really sucks. Hope over to Gaming if you need some suggestions on PC games you might want to play in the meantime as a distraction (FTL is highly recommended, incredibly addictive, cheap, and doesn't require a strong computer).
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic
Posts: 4699
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:28 am UTC
Location: Left coast of Canada

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby poxic » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:29 pm UTC

Sorry to hear it, GS. May recovery be speedy.

Also, for those like me who had no idea what was fractured:
Spoiler:
Capture.JPG
Oh shit ow ow ow
Capture.JPG (24.11 KiB) Viewed 7207 times
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
- Anais Nin, writer (21 Feb 1903-1977)

User avatar
Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt
Posts: 1652
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:26 pm UTC
Location: The wrong side of the mirror
Contact:

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Sableagle » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:23 am UTC

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah has a clip on YouTube about the Taliban's reaction to the Trump-Clinton debate. One of the first five comments is from someone saying there are lots of reasons to vote for Trump, including that no other Republican has admitted we were lied into the Iraq war (which seems to me to be a great reason not to vote for the candidate with the (R) after his or her name) and that multiple vaccinations are dangerous.

Yeah? So are patios. 48 stepladder-related accidents on patios, 42 crush injuries on patios just in one year. Want to ban patios? What are you going to put there instead, gardens? Think again! Scroll down. Nearly 300,000 people injured in their gardens in one year! Gardens are deadly! It's no good leaving the untamed forests there either. Over 100 People Are Killed By Trees Every Year in the United States. Be afraid of everything! (Be especially afraid of roads, especially in Iran, Iraq, Venezuela, Guyana and Libya.)

Oh, yeah, and these:
Vaccine Myths Debunked

The widespread fear that vaccines increase risk of autism ... has since been completely discredited due to serious procedural errors, undisclosed financial conflicts of interest, and ethical violations. Andrew Wakefield lost his medical license and the paper was retracted from The Lancet.

Nonetheless, the hypothesis was taken seriously, and several other major studies were conducted. None of them found a link between any vaccine and the likelihood of developing autism.

Based on the number of antibodies present in the blood, a baby would theoretically have the ability to respond to around 10,000 vaccines at one time. Even if all 14 scheduled vaccines were given at once, it would only use up slightly more than 0.1% of a baby’s immune capacity. And scientists believe this capacity is purely theoretical. The immune system could never truly be overwhelmed because the cells in the system are constantly being replenished. In reality, babies are exposed to countless bacteria and viruses every day, and immunizations are negligible in comparison.

In some cases, natural immunity — meaning actually catching a disease and getting sick– results in a stronger immunity to the disease than a vaccination. However, the dangers of this approach far outweigh the relative benefits.

It’s true that these chemicals are toxic to the human body in certain levels, but only trace amounts of these chemicals are used in FDA approved vaccines. In fact, according to the FDA and the CDC, formaldehyde is produced at higher rates by our own metabolic systems and there is no scientific evidence that the low levels of this chemical, mercury or aluminum in vaccines can be harmful.

When the first measles vaccine was introduced in 1963, rates of infection had been holding steady at around 400,000 cases a year. And while hygienic habits and sanitation didn’t change much over the following decade, the rate of measles infections dropped precipitously following the introduction of the vaccine, with only around 25,000 cases by 1970. Another example is Hib disease. According to CDC data, the incidence rate for this malady plummeted from 20,000 in 1990 to around 1,500 in 1993, following the introduction of the vaccine.

Despite parent concerns, children have been successfully vaccinated for decades. In fact, there has never been a single credible study linking vaccines to long term health conditions.

As for immediate danger from vaccines, in the form of allergic reactions or severe side effects, the incidence of death are so rare they can’t even truly be calculated. For example, only one death was reported to the CDC between 1990 and 1992 that was attributable to a vaccine.

Vaccines can cause mild symptoms resembling those of the disease they are protecting against. A common misconception is that these symptoms signal infection. In fact, in the small percentage (less than 1 in one million cases) where symptoms do occur, the vaccine recipients are experiencing a body’s immune response to the vaccine, not the disease itself.
Worldwide, measles is still a major cause of death, especially among children in resource-poor countries. In 2011, 158,000 people died of measles – an average of 432 every day. However, over the last twenty years vaccination has dramatically reduced the number of deaths from measles. Since 1990 (when measles killed 872,000 people), over one in 5 of all child deaths averted have been due to measles vaccination. Between 2001 and 2013 there was a sharp rise in the number of UK measles cases, and three people died. Numbers of cases fell in 2014 and 2015, but have started to increase again in 2016. In the first half of 2016, 234 measles cases were confirmed - more than four times as many as in the first half of 2015.


So, yeah, vaccinations are dangerous. You've got a ... er ... let em check that site again.
As for immediate danger from vaccines, in the form of allergic reactions or severe side effects, the incidence of death are so rare they can’t even truly be calculated.
Oh. So, er, heh ...

People notice that a chunk of sewage that leaked from an aeroplane, froze solid on the outside and broke off has fallen to the ground as a lump more often than people die from vaccinations ... and 432 people die of measles every day?

Turning your head to look both ways before crossing the street is dangerous too, dude. You could sprain a neck muscle, or something.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5750
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Angua » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:30 am UTC

I once watched a (fictional) show that had the parents saying they hadn't got their youngest daughter vaccinated because they thought it would be better safe than sorry.

The joke was on them though, the daughter gave the grandfather whooping cough (immunity tends to wane when you get older).

Edit: On the bright side, I found out yesterday that there were unofficial cease fires on the vaccination campaign days in Syria to stop the polio outbreak in 2013.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt
Posts: 1652
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:26 pm UTC
Location: The wrong side of the mirror
Contact:

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Sableagle » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:05 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Edit: On the bright side, I found out yesterday that there were unofficial cease fires on the vaccination campaign days in Syria to stop the polio outbreak in 2013.
Dear anti-vaxers, ISIS are making you look stupid and reactionary. Think about that. Yours, humanity.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5750
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Angua » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:59 am UTC

All the stuff coming out of the Tory conference is making me so depressed. I'm pretty sure they wish we were back in the 18th century:

Indentured servitude (for doctors)
Africa is 'that country' and should be happy for Britain pulling them out of poverty
We need to let our soldiers ignore the ECHR lest they worry they might be taken to court for human rights violations.

I'm so depressed today. I wish I wasn't on call this evening.

The doctor thing just makes me so depressed, because it takes away from the best time to take any time out of the training pathway (ie between foundation and speciality training, which happens after year 2) - no going to a developing country to gain a different skill set, no doing a diploma/research, no deciding that you actually don't want to be a doctor anymore. There are so many different experiences in other countries that help make your practice in your home country a lot more richer, and taking it away at the prime point for a lot of young doctors before they start having to settle into more years on a training pathway or having kids is just cruel.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4858
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby HES » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:09 pm UTC

And they seem to think that screwing over doctors in as many ways as possible means that more people will want to become doctors? Do they seriously expect to fill those 25% extra training posts?
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.
Posts: 1113
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:11 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Liri » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:16 pm UTC

What is the new doctor pathway policy?

I'm a research assistant at a lab that's part of a school of medicine, so a lot of my co-workers are MDs, including my PI. I'm not sure she ever did a residency, she might have just done her fellowship and gone into research/teaching (she doesn't like MDs, as she told me when I interviewed). From what I could gather, she would have had a tough time with the new restrictions.
There's a certain amount of freedom involved in cycling: you're self-propelled and decide exactly where to go. If you see something that catches your eye to the left, you can veer off there, which isn't so easy in a car, and you can't cover as much ground walking.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5750
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Angua » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:18 pm UTC

Liri wrote:What is the new doctor pathway policy?
I don't know what it's like in the US.

HES wrote:And they seem to think that screwing over doctors in as many ways as possible means that more people will want to become doctors? Do they seriously expect to fill those 25% extra training posts?

Foundation year entry was apparently undersubscribed this year for the first time (I think ever, but it just might have been a long time).
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5750
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Angua » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:34 pm UTC

Double posting for unrelated rant, but when do most people expect to see their contract of employment when starting a new job? I was told it would be up to 8 weeks post starting, they sent an email saying that it would be by a further 5 days after that and I still don't have anything.

I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 8077
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Zohar » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:38 pm UTC

Don't you usually sign these sorts of things before you start work?
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4858
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby HES » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:39 pm UTC

You say unrelated, but other than doctors it tends to be before you start.
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5750
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Angua » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:45 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:Don't you usually sign these sorts of things before you start work?

I mean, this is what I used to think, but then I thought maybe it was a myth.

FML.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Chen
Posts: 5434
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Chen » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:00 pm UTC

Without a contract how do you know what your pay/benefits are, along with work requirements, sicks days and all that jazz? I mean how do you negotiate a position and salary without a contract?

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5750
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Angua » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:07 pm UTC

Chen wrote: I mean how do you negotiate a position and salary without a contract
Negotiate?????

As for the others, rumour and word of mouth. The main worry about sick days is around taking too much time out of training and failing the ARCP (which makes sure we have jumped enough hoops to progress to the next year) - that is controlled by a different entity than our employer, and thus does not come under contractual law and obligations, despite that body being the one who places us with our employers each year.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.
Posts: 1113
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:11 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Liri » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:26 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
Liri wrote:What is the new doctor pathway policy?
I don't know what it's like in the US.

I was asking about the UK.
There's a certain amount of freedom involved in cycling: you're self-propelled and decide exactly where to go. If you see something that catches your eye to the left, you can veer off there, which isn't so easy in a car, and you can't cover as much ground walking.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5750
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Angua » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:51 pm UTC

In that case, I don't understand the question. It depends on where you are in your training. It will be different starting from med school vs coming in later in your training.

Starting from a medical student, you do two years of foundation training which is 6 different posts (often in 2 different hospitals), and then you apply for speciality training. That can be a further 3 years (GP and I think PsycH), up to 7-8 years.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.
Posts: 1113
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:11 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Liri » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:05 pm UTC

I'm not going to medical school, myself - I just didn't know what it was coming out of the Tory conference about doctors that has you bothered.
There's a certain amount of freedom involved in cycling: you're self-propelled and decide exactly where to go. If you see something that catches your eye to the left, you can veer off there, which isn't so easy in a car, and you can't cover as much ground walking.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5750
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Angua » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:16 pm UTC

Trapping people from leaving a monopoly employer on which pay conditions can be unilaterally imposed (though, if you go to court they aren't being imposed, so the government 'wins' the case and then goes around saying that means they can impose when they're argument was that they weren't imposing in the first place).
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3485
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:19 am UTC

I overslept and missed class.

That is all.

User avatar
heuristically_alone
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:43 pm UTC
Location: 37.2368078 and -115.80341870000001

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:58 am UTC

I ate two full dinners this evening, and I am still starving! >:(
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

We'll win, but not everyone will get out

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

User avatar
Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt
Posts: 1652
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:26 pm UTC
Location: The wrong side of the mirror
Contact:

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Sableagle » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:54 pm UTC

On the subject of healthcare:
'Words cannot express how miserable I was today and have been on so many occasions in the past. If anyone asked me advice on pursuing a career in nursing I would strongly advise against it. It is by far the worst decision I have ever made'

Today, yet again like so many other times, I have broken down crying wondering why the hell I bothered pursuing a degree in nursing. I am a fourth year Mental Health nurse student on my last supernumerary placement.

This morning I woke up ill, with a sore throat, blocked sinuses, a headache and to top it off I have vertigo. I contemplated phoning in sick but thought the day hospital are already short of staff and over worked. They need me.

Off I drove, rushing to try get my daughter to school (I am a lone parent) in a car I can’t afford, wondering how I am going to pay for petrol as I am already nearly out, AGAIN. Also worrying about how I am going to pay for food for the rest of the week as I only have €25 and need to buy petrol.

When I got into work I received a phone call from the only other nurse due in that day to tell me she was sick with a fever. I had only been placed in the day hospital 3 days previous and was told that day I would be left with full responsibility of approximately 20+ patients suffering from various mental health issues.

Some are acutely ill. I had very minimal knowledge and how to manage the place, in fact nearly no knowledge and I feel that amount of responsibility should not be left with a student who has never been in a day hospital.

I was to call all the clients to let them know their groups had been cancelled due to staff shortage. I find this to be so unfair to the clients as the care given to them in the day hospital is extremely important in aiding their recovery. The great work the nurses do here is so important to these people.

I never got to breakfast, have a proper lunch or wee as much as I needed to. I managed to stuff a few crackers (they’re all I can ever afford) in my mouth between phone calls which consisted mainly of trying to support people who wanted to self-harm, people who were in distress, people who needed adequate support and care from more than one student nurse who couldn’t cope with running a day hospital on her own sick, tired, hungry and needing the loo. I felt faint at one stage.

Words cannot express how miserable I was today and have been on so many occasions in the past. If anyone asked me advice on pursuing a career in nursing I would strongly advise against it. It is by far the worst decision I ever made. The HSE is shockingly understaffed and over worked.

It really hurts to know that bus drivers spend 4-6 weeks training and get paid more than a nurse after doing a gruelling 4 year degree. We are so unbelievably undervalued and we find it difficult to strike in numbers because people may actually die if we do strike as we are so short of staff. Who the hell else is going to look after the dying patients if we strike????

I did not get paid a penny for the work I did today as I am not even in my internship. Zilch. Even when I finally qualify I get paid buttons for the work I do, just like all the other nurses when they qualify.

I can barely feed my daughter and I cannot pay my car tax/insurance, my electricity, I often stay freezing cold in the winter because I can’t afford to put the heating on. I don’t buy myself any clothes, my socks are full of holes (no joke), I have a non-existent social life because I simply can’t afford to go anywhere (no exaggeration).

I am due to pay €270 for my daughter’s school books and I don’t bloody have it! I don’t get proper sleep every night because I am so anxious about money and work and so pissed off about my not so promising career choice.

I am depressed, run down and so bloody angry right now. I cried the whole way home in the car today that I could barely see the road. My daughter shouldn’t have had to comfort me when I walked in the door from work crying my eyes out, it should be me comforting her in times of need. She made me tea and wrote on the cup with chalk “It will be okay, I love you”. I am crying now even writing this. So many times she has had to see me in this state. I have just had enough.

And what’s worse?

When I qualify I will still be struggling and getting paid f*** all! It’s not fair that the only option that will see me and my daughter have the quality of life we are entitled to and deserve, is to leave my own bloody country. It makes no sense whatsoever. It makes my blood boil.

If I stay here my own mental health will be effected and I won’t be available to look after anyone else’s mental health. If I go I must leave my family, my friends and my home, my culture and take my daughter away from her school, her friends, her life and the things she loves. I am at the end of my tether. I am broken, defeated, deflated and soul destroyed. I am a former shadow of my happy, bright eyed, social self. I am lost.

How are we as nurses expected to look after others if we cannot look after ourselves? Why does the government not care about us? Why are we so undervalued?"


...

Not sure about policy as such but here's a highly-rated university's course page:

The MB ChB programme is divided into three phases. The first phase spans a one-year period and focuses on the scientific basis of medicine, meaning that you will primarily learn through case-based and problem-solving study, attending lectures and working in small groups.

The second, year-long phase gives you an understanding of primary and secondary care settings as well as the expectations of patients and carers. You will be introduced to a series of more complex medical cases, to expand your knowledge and skills. Throughout the programme you will progress from directed-student learning in a structured environment to student-directed learning in the clinical environment. The third phase sets learning
in the context of a series of specialist blocks, further enhancing knowledge around core subject areas and developing professional skills.

This is a graduate entry course. You will need to have or expect to obtain a first class or upper second class honours degree. We accept honours degrees in any subject and we welcome candidates with Master’s and/or
PhD qualifications.


At the end of the MB ChB, graduates will be able to provisionally register with the General Medical Council and begin their Foundation posts. Successful completion of the Foundation programme is usually achieved within one year and enables you to apply for full registration with the General Medical Council as a doctor and to practise medicine within the NHS or in private practice.


... and another:
MB ChB Gateway to Medicine (A108)

Course duration 6 year(s) full-time

This course is aimed at students who have the potential to become doctors but do not meet the academic entry criteria to apply directly to MB ChB Medicine. It is a widening participation initiative for UK students who fulfil specific criteria.

You will develop your interest and knowledge of the basic sciences which underpin the study of medicine and to foster professional behaviours and attitudes. Medical-related work experience will form part of the course. Successful completion of this year will enable you to progress to the MB ChB Medicine.

MB ChB Medicine (A100)

Course duration 5 year(s) full-time

The MB ChB (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) degree is the primary medical qualification awarded by the University of Bristol and is recognised by the General Medical Council.

At the end of the course you will receive an MB ChB (or equivalent) degree, which is a primary medical qualification (PMQ). Holding a PMQ entitles you to provisional registration with the General Medical Council, subject only to its acceptance that there are no Fitness to Practise concerns that need consideration. Provisional registration is time limited to a maximum of three years and 30 days (1125 days in total). After this time period your provisional registration will normally expire.

Provisionally registered doctors can only practise in approved Foundation Year 1 posts: the law does not allow provisionally registered doctors to undertake any other type of work.

Successful completion of the Foundation Year 1 programme is normally achieved within 12 months and is marked by the award of a Certificate of Experience. You will then be eligible to apply for full registration with the GMC. You need full registration with a licence to practise for unsupervised medical practice in the NHS or private practice in the UK.

Although no firm decision has been taken as to whether or when such an exam will be introduced applicants should be aware that the GMC envisages that future cohorts of medical students will need to pass parts of a new UK Medical Licensing Assessment before the GMC will grant them Registration with a Licence to Practise.


Junior doctors' row: The dispute explained

Image

The starting salary for a junior doctor is currently just under £23,000 a year, but with extra payments for things such as unsociable hours, this can quite easily top £30,000.

Junior doctors at the top end of the scale can earn in excess of £70,000. But it's important to remember these doctors can be in charge of teams, making life-and-death decisions and carrying out surgery. They are really only behind consultants in seniority.

Basic pay is to be increased by 13.5% on average.

But that comes at a price: other elements of the pay package are to be curbed, including what constitutes unsociable hours.

Day hours on a Saturday will be paid at a normal rate, while extra premiums that are being offered for night and the rest of the weekend are lower than what is currently paid.

Image


Junior doctors lose High Court case

The group Justice for Health mounted a legal bid arguing the contract was "unsafe and unsustainable" and Mr Hunt did not have the power to impose it.

But Mr Justice Green ruled the health secretary had acted "squarely" within his powers in what he did.

He clarified this as pushing for NHS trusts to introduce the contract, rather than compelling them.

The judge said "in principle" trusts had the freedom as employers to decide whether they did force the contract on doctors.

This prompted Justice for Health to claim the judgement had freed the profession from the "shackles" of Mr Hunt's timeline.

The new terms and conditions are due to start being rolled out next week - and there is no indication hospitals will not do this.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 4610
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:18 pm UTC

As a sometimes-patient with several family members working in various medical professions, it really worries me, just for my own sake never mind theirs, to see how overworked and barely-getting-through-the-day so many people responsible for keeping other people alive are. I know how the quality of my own work goes down when I'm under so much stress, but nobody dies if I'm having a bad day and fuck something up.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
Diemo
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:43 pm UTC

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Diemo » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:17 pm UTC

Yeah Ireland stopped paying student nurses for the work that they do as part of their degree during the bust (yay austerity). It's shit.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5750
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Angua » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:21 pm UTC

Diemo wrote:Yeah Ireland stopped paying student nurses for the work that they do as part of their degree during the bust (yay austerity). It's shit.

I wonder if they also go for the 'tax payer subsidises their course so they owe us' route as well.

grumble
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt
Posts: 1652
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:26 pm UTC
Location: The wrong side of the mirror
Contact:

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Sableagle » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:18 pm UTC

14 years in training to get possibly the hardest job in the world* and the government decides to screw you over for 9 of them? Starting to sound like teaching in terms of how very much I'd rather spend my time checking fences, bridges and waymarkings in the Alps, rebuilding dry stone walls in Wales and the Dales, counting guanacos in Chile, fishing plastic bottles out of the Pacific, cleaning graffiti off railway stations, cutting dead trees out of forests, building coffee tables and bird boxes, mopping out the fruit & veg aisle or maybe driving a train in Scotland.



Spoiler:
* Paediatric oncologist. Seriously.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

User avatar
Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt
Posts: 1652
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:26 pm UTC
Location: The wrong side of the mirror
Contact:

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Sableagle » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:21 pm UTC

Me: places newspaper in front of seat, gets mug and teabag, goes to hot water dispenser
He: enters canteen
Me: begins dispensing hot water into mug
He: "Now, where should I sit?"
Me: continues filling mug
He: walks halfway round canteen to right behind me
Me: finishes filling mug
He: farts.
He: "Oops."
He: leaves canteen
Me: "SERIOUSLY?!?"
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

User avatar
Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????
Posts: 518
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:35 pm UTC
Location: Middletown, RI

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Isaac Hill » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:58 am UTC

I hate my furnace. It's only 3 years old, and I've had to bleed it 7 times so far this fall. I've only been using it for a couple weeks. Maybe I'm not doing a good enough job bleeding it. I haven't done it before this fall. It's hard to do, because the furnace is in a little closet without much room, and the bleeder valve is behind the fuel line.

I got sick of trying to catch the fuel in a an empty gatorade bottle, so I decided to buy a funnel and tube so I could catch the fuel more easily and bleed it longer. I was annoyed that the funnels the local hardware store sold didn't fit the tubes they sold. Then, I saw the funnels with tubing already attached. I bought one and tried to bleed the furnace again, but the funnel was too big, and I couldn't get it in there well enough, so only half the oil went in it. I had a tray down to catch the excess, but that filled up pretty fast, so I still couldn't bleed it as long as I'd've liked. Tommorow, I'll try Home Depot and see if they have decent funnels.

Last year, I had to push the reset button quite often, but it always came back on without needing to be bled. Once I got more oil, it worked pretty well. I'm thinking the fuel line coming in from the ceiling, going to the floor, and coming back up is making the fuel pump work hard than it needs to. Maybe adding more fuel helped. I've already bought oil this fall, so that won't help again.

If I have to call the maintenance company, I'll have them cut a few feet off the fuel line and run it directly from the ceiliing to the furnace. I'm just annoyed because I had the furnace serviced in the spring, the same day as my AC unit, just so I wouldn't have to use another vacation day to watch someone work on the furnace. Now, it seems like not only will I have to use the second vacation day anyway, I'll have to pay for a second service call.
Attachments
furnace2.JPG
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

User avatar
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic
Posts: 4699
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:28 am UTC
Location: Left coast of Canada

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby poxic » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:02 am UTC

This is why I live in a condo.

Also because money, but still.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
- Anais Nin, writer (21 Feb 1903-1977)

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 4610
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:24 am UTC

Condos don't have their own heating?

Also, what does it mean to "bleed" a furnace?

In fact, this whole scenario confuses me. The picture looks an awful lot like the natural-gas-powered air-heating furnaces we use around here, but it sounds like you're talking about a liquid fuel, and a kind of maintenance I've never heard of, so I'm wondering if this is some kind of weird hardware that people in places where it snows have to use for some purpose beyond my comprehension.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 1996
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Flumble » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:30 pm UTC

I've learned only last week that there are places in developed countries where the cheapest/most effective energy source for heating is oil. Actually, that's immediately the case when you have neither a gas pipe to your house nor geothermal/city heating; oil is about half the price of electricity (approximations for the UK – 10p/kWh for electricity, 5p/kWh for oil, 2p/kWh for gas).

And now I've learned "furnace" means a boiler/heater in canadian and american, rather than an industrial furnace (you know, the one in which you smelt bronze, iron, steel, mithril, adamant and rune :P ).

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 4610
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:11 pm UTC

It means that here, too. (And a younger me was confused to first hear a heater called such, for that reason).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests