Blistering blue barnacles

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:34 pm UTC

Noc wrote:
Diemo wrote:I don't know what is worse, the fact that this actually exists or that it is not the scariest junction in Britan!

Um. If there is a worse junction in Britain, wouldn't that be worse sort of by definition?

Nope.

Having A worse junction (but all other junctions being normal and the one in the image not existing) would be a better overall experience than this junction existing in conjunction with an even worse junction, as the implication is that confusing junctions like the one in the picture are standard, normal, to be expected, and not at all out of the ordinary.

It's the difference between there being only one horrible thing, or the horrible thing not being so bad because there are so many terrible things around.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

PurplePenguin

Postby PurplePenguin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:47 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:You can dance if you want to.

Can I leave my friends behind?

Only one. And David Elsewhere still does it better than you.

Seriously, though. Emotionally deadening yourself does make certain things easier, but it makes other things a lot more difficult. And the things it made easier ... well, still need to be dealt with, as the emotionally dead response is to basically ignore it until it goes away. Some things don't go away, and just wait around until you ever decide that those "Feeling" things may have a use.

And by then you're so out of practice that it's harder than it would have been the first time around.

But... yeah, it does have it's attractions.

Aye. It's just my emotions haved messed up the best thing I had going. And I now have the choice to either kill them (with fire? no, alcohol perhaps) to keep this going, or keep them and suffer for ages and ages, or...oh I don't even know. GRUMP GRUMP GRUMP.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:59 pm UTC

PurplePenguin wrote:
Whelan wrote:You can dance if you want to.

Can I leave my friends behind?

Well, your friends don't dance and if they don't dance, then they're no friends of mine.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG

Postby Noc » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:12 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Nope.

Um. Are you suggesting that the existence of an even worse junction makes things better by making the Swindon junction seem reasonable by comparison?
PurplePenguin wrote:Aye. It's just my emotions haved messed up the best thing I had going. And I now have the choice to either kill them (with fire? no, alcohol perhaps) to keep this going, or keep them and suffer for ages and ages, or...oh I don't even know. GRUMP GRUMP GRUMP.

You can try troubleshooting them? You need your emotions because they're motivators: if you eliminate them entirely, you become a being of perfect apathy with no reason to do anything -- without them you wouldn't have the desire to dance in the first place ('cause that's an emotion), and wouldn't enjoy it if you did ('cause that's also an emotion). But if you can figure out where they're going wrong, you may have the opportunity to manipulate them into a more suitable structure.
Have you given up?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:17 pm UTC

Noc wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Nope.

Um. Are you suggesting that the existence of an even worse junction makes things better by making the Swindon junction seem reasonable by comparison

No, I'm saying that if those were the only two terrible junctions of which the one in the image is Second Worst Ever that's a better overall position than there being hundreds of terrible junctions of which the one in the image is simply "not the worst possible".
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:21 pm UTC

Cold, overcast for the mornings and most of the days here, every day, constantly. This is supposed to be sunny southern california, but resembles more like white nights in Moscow, minus anything cool. Just dismal and desperate.

Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG

Postby Noc » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:22 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Noc wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Nope.

Um. Are you suggesting that the existence of an even worse junction makes things better by making the Swindon junction seem reasonable by comparison

No, I'm saying that if those were the only two terrible junctions of which the one in the image is Second Worst Ever that's a better overall position than there being hundreds of terrible junctions of which the one in the image is simply "not the worst possible".

Okay. That statement is true, but I'm confused about how it relates to my post? As I parsed it, Diemo's post amounted to:
I don't know which is worse, that:
a) Bad Junction is Bad, or that
b) Bad Junction exists concurrently to other junctions which are worse.
Neither option supposes anything about the general quality of junctions beneath the "Swindon Threshold" of awfulness, which is what your statement seems to be concerned with, hence my confusion.
Have you given up?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:27 pm UTC

Ah, I was reading it as
a) Bad Junction is bad independent of all other factors
b) Bad Junction is just an indication of a greater overall bad picture.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:04 pm UTC

Jave D wrote:Cold, overcast for the mornings and most of the days here, every day, constantly. This is supposed to be sunny southern california, but resembles more like white nights in Moscow, minus anything cool. Just dismal and desperate.

soooo...Oregon?
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:30 am UTC

Jave D wrote:Cold, overcast for the mornings and most of the days here, every day, constantly. This is supposed to be sunny southern california, but resembles more like white nights in Moscow, minus anything cool. Just dismal and desperate.

The alternative is highs in the 90s. Trade you.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:17 am UTC

Yrah
SecondTalon wrote:Ah, I was reading it as
a) Bad Junction is bad independent of all other factors
b) Bad Junction is just an indication of a greater overall bad picture.

Yeah this is what i meant. It just a way to say that both are super bad!
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:20 am UTC

I SO FUCKING NEED ANOTHER DAY TO PREPARE FOR TOMORROW'S EXAM WHICH IS IN LESS THAN SIX HOURS.

No, seriously. I had an exam today (did well), slept 2hrs and I've been working the past 10 hours (made a few short brakes) and will be working the next six hours, and than having the exam - another three hours of residues, Fourier and Laplace transforms (the latter two are the best part), and a lot of shit I haven't even had the time to look at now. Damn. :?
And yes, I did have the illusion of starting on time. But preparation for today's (now it's yesterday's, actually) exam took longer than expected. :|

I feel like my head is emptyish and I'm afraid I might fail tomorrow due to lack of concentration (and knowledge at some points).

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:52 am UTC

I was going to put this in the Airport Security thread, but it turned into so much of a pant...

TSA blog wrote:There were a total of 9 illegal and prohibited items discovered this week with the body scanners at BNA, DRO, EWR, HNL, LAX, LIH, PBI, SEA, and SMF. Among the items were a tube of toothpaste stuffed in a passenger’s waistband and drugs. Finding these types of items in areas where explosives could also be hidden is a testament that the technology works.

TSA blog wrote:There were a total of 12 illegal and prohibited items discovered this week with the body scanners at HOU, SFO, LAX, MKE, SFO, SAN, ATL, OMA, SNA, MOB and PBI. Among the items were a punching weapon, strike anywhere matches, drugs, drug paraphernalia, and a gentleman at Houston (HOU) had a half full bottle of whiskey stuffed in his waistband. Finding these types of items in areas where explosives could also be hidden is a testament that the technology works.

TSA blog wrote:There were nine incidents this week where body scanner alarms resulted in drugs being found on passengers using imaging technology. Items were found everywhere from pockets to the breast, to the groin area at EWR, SAT, ORD, TPA, PHX, SFO and GEG. In addition to these discoveries, there was also a passenger at Tampa (TPA) who had a white drawstring pouch concealed in his underwear containing several types of Narcotics. (See Picture) Another passenger at Chicago O’Hare (ORD) had marijuana taped to his ankle. We’re not looking for drugs, but finding these nonmetallic items in areas where explosives could also be hidden is a testament that the technology works.

Okay, TSA. We get it. The scanner finds items. The technology works. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go back to browsing freesupercoolawesomescreensavers.totallylegitdownloadsite.info with my antivirus that I just recently updated in 2007. It's alerting me that it just found Sasser* and Nimda viruses. Finding these viruses is a testament that the technology works!

*I realize that Sasser never had a web infection vector. That's not the point. Also, Nimda isn't dead yet.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:07 pm UTC

Bleh. Medium rare does not mean 'looks cooked, but the whole interior is raw'.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:56 pm UTC

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:09 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:...er... whole interior, then no.

Yeah. This was a burger, and it was raw. I like medium rare steak. Usually don't have an issue with burgers, but this was raw.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

K-R

Postby K-R » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:39 pm UTC

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:37 pm UTC

emceng wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:...er... whole interior, then no.

Yeah. This was a burger, and it was raw. I like medium rare steak. Usually don't have an issue with burgers, but this was raw.

Wait, burger? Shit no. That shit has to be cooked.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:43 pm UTC

Yeah. Been thinking I need to start ordering burgers as medium. That was not at all how I expect burger to be cooked medium rare. Would have sent it back, but we were in a hurry.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:38 pm UTC

Medium rare burgers can be perfectly safe.

I mean, people serve http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_tartare and don't get sick.

It just takes more effort than a standard hamburger.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:42 am UTC

Woah, what happened here?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:49 am UTC

Nothing. Is a signature.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:47 am UTC

Yakk wrote:Medium rare burgers can be perfectly safe.

I mean, people serve http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_tartare and don't get sick.

It just takes more effort than a standard hamburger.

Steak tartare is not hamburger.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:30 am UTC

I honestly cannot see much of a difference other than the fact that hamburger is usually ground chuck, whereas steak tartare comes from a higher grade of beef.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

Mapar

Postby Mapar » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:03 am UTC

Where I live it is customary for students to get a room in the city where they study, but given that our country is very small, commuting to college is not unheard of either. With me having graduated one year in advance, my parents wanted me to commute for a year. OK, so far so good.

Turns out commuting is a fucking huge waste of time, and there are next to zero opportunities to go out and enjoy life. So I wanted to get a room for the next year. I had next to no time left to look out for one, but I ended up applying to two dorms on the first day they were open for application. Dead silence. A month later, in the middle of fucking exams, I get an e-mail from both informing me that my application was rejected because they give priority to aspiring freshmen, most of which are actually older than I am (so that's not an argument). How backwards is that? Those guys actually do have the time on their hands to look harder, they're in high school. Comparatively, they have all the time in the world! A commuting student like myself has almost none of it, and we are last in the pecking order... My last exam is Monday, and then I'll have ONE WEEK to look for some leftover room somewhere in the city, 'cause by now every decent one is pretty much taken.

TL,DR: fuck backwards student housing regulations

Sorry if this was a bit ranty, but I needed to get this out.
Hi.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:57 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:I honestly cannot see much of a difference other than the fact that hamburger is usually ground chuck, whereas steak tartare comes from a higher grade of beef.

Less likely to be contaminated during the butchering process, alas I understand it. I believe it's also minced after the fact, not in the slaughterhouse, so it's more likely it will be washed as well. As I understand it, at least. I may be mistaken and they're both equally dangerous.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:18 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:I honestly cannot see much of a difference other than the fact that hamburger is usually ground chuck, whereas steak tartare comes from a higher grade of beef.

Less likely to be contaminated during the butchering process, alas I understand it. I believe it's also minced after the fact, not in the slaughterhouse, so it's more likely it will be washed as well. As I understand it, at least. I may be mistaken and they're both equally dangerous.
There is probably some difference.

Of course, a really safety conscious cook could sear the outside, cut the outside off, and grind up the inside. e coli lives on the meat surface...
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

emceng

Postby emceng » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:39 am UTC

Yeah - steak tartare - take a steak, mix/cut it in a kitchen. Hamburger? Grind the f out of meaty bits wherever the fuck. Not exactly the same. But no food poisoning so far, so apparently it was ok.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:08 pm UTC

Ahh, past mistakes haunting me. So commonplace, but always new.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:07 pm UTC

Mapar wrote:TL,DR: fuck backwards student housing regulations

Sorry if this was a bit ranty, but I needed to get this out.

Ranting is fine, but if you're gonna rant, take it to the rant thre... wait. Here we are. Why were you apologizing again?

Housing/comuute issues suck. I would never recommend a long commute. (Exceptions exist, like cheap public transport that you can actively do homework.)
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

retrominge

Postby retrominge » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:06 am UTC

I'd rant but no-one would listen.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:26 pm UTC

retrominge wrote:I'd rant but no-one would listen.

But some would read.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Garm

Postby Garm » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:22 pm UTC

retrominge wrote:I'd rant but no-one would listen.

Is that a meta rant?

My rant: Why in gods name do you reference Admin Guides in your current Administrator's Guide? Is it too hard to actually explain how a feature should work? Can you not, you know, fucking cut and paste the text? This might be fine for people who've been using your product since the dawn of time but for someone just trying to set up your shit for the first time it's kind of frustrating to have to go hunting for years old pdf files.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:56 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I don't know at all what to do about Pride. *has sads*
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:02 pm UTC

Volcanoes are erupting on my FACE. The people are fleeing in terror.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:06 am UTC

According to power company, we won't have power until Saturday, but yay for charging my phone and laptop at work!

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:56 pm UTC

I make bad decisions. Then compound them with more bad decisions. If this most recent one blows up in my face, I am so, so completely screwed.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:00 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Some fancy restaurants will mince the meat as and when it's needed.

Whizzkid1024

Postby Whizzkid1024 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:42 pm UTC

This week I went scouting for a new dorm to stay in next year, it's a pretty hard decision if you get to do it all by yourself. If you get a bad dorm, you've only got yourself to blame. Growing up sucks.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:47 pm UTC

I paid four dollars extra to have something shipped to me a day early, only to find out that it shipped from a building less than a mile from my apartment.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

Return to “General”