Lunch reciept Money Laundering?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sardia

Lunch reciept Money Laundering?

Postby sardia » Thu May 10, 2018 5:57 pm UTC

After paying for lunch, the cashier didn't hand me the reciept, so I snagged it after she left the register. While I was expensing it, I noticed that she had inputted my payment wrong. The bill was for 6.99$, and I paid $10 but she inputted a payment of 40$. I checked my wallet, and she gave me the correct change of $3.01. Is this some kind of money laundering or stealing? I couldn't think of a way that it would work. Probably just a wandering mind seeing patterns everywhere.

pogrmman

Re: Lunch reciept Money Laundering?

Postby pogrmman » Thu May 10, 2018 6:47 pm UTC

You could use it to steal semi-covertly from the business. Say the customer payed $40 instead of $10, give the customer the appropriate $3.01 change, and pocket the other $30. Because the company thinks there was $33.01 due in change, they don’t ask about the missing $30 when they realize there’s money missing. It disguises the theft somewhat.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Thu May 10, 2018 9:44 pm UTC

30$ is a huge amount for an uneven till. Like, you get a dollar wiggle room at most. Also, sometimes you type in the wrong button, just do the basic math quickly to find the right answer, and dispense right change. Going back and deleting the input can sometimes be a pain depending on the system.
ImageImageImageImageImage

ThirdParty

Postby ThirdParty » Fri May 11, 2018 1:32 am UTC

Almost certainly just a typo. The "4" and "1" keys are adjacent to one another on a standard keypad.

If the receipt says you paid $40 and got $33 in change, and the reality is that you paid $10 and got $3 in change, that's a net payment of $7 either way. Unless they're hoping to frame you for passing counterfeit $20 bills, I don't see what the benefit to anyone would be in misrepresenting your gross payment while correctly representing your net payment.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 11, 2018 4:37 pm UTC

Yeah, that’s theft. The employee has an extra $30 now.

That’s an incredibly common thing, it’s why cameras point at registers, and shift supervisors typically get training to look for that sort of thing.

Of course, what you do with that information is up to you. If it’s a local mom and pop shop, been in the community for decades? Maybe mention it? If it’s a McDonalds owned by the Franklin Investing Firm, fuck’em. Keep your mouth shut.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri May 11, 2018 10:30 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Yeah, that’s theft. The employee has an extra $30 now.
How so? Check the OP:

sardia wrote:The bill was for 6.99$, and I paid $10 but she inputted a payment of 40$. I checked my wallet, and she gave me the correct change of $3.01.
In terms of actual money in the till (which is where the employee might scarf the $30), there is no extra. Xe paid a net of $6.99 in actual money, and it's in the till.

When the cashier checks out, the slips will show that an extra $30 came in ($40 instead of $10). So, the business will think they have more money than they do, and will come to the employee asking "where is it?". The employee, who didn't actually collect an extra $30, is on the short end of this, not the long one.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

svenman

Postby svenman » Fri May 11, 2018 11:39 pm UTC

ucim wrote:In terms of actual money in the till (which is where the employee might scarf the $30), there is no extra. Xe paid a net of $6.99 in actual money, and it's in the till.

When the cashier checks out, the slips will show that an extra $30 came in ($40 instead of $10). So, the business will think they have more money than they do, and will come to the employee asking "where is it?". The employee, who didn't actually collect an extra $30, is on the short end of this, not the long one.

But the slips will also show that equally, an extra $30 went out ($33.01 instead of $3.01 change), won't they? So it all balances out and nobody is going to either profit from or get into trouble for this.

Would have been a different story if the cashier had mistyped on the price of sardia's lunch, but that's not what happened.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sat May 12, 2018 12:37 am UTC

Could be he typed in $40, realized his mistake immediately, and gave you your correct change trying to play off as a good worker trying to not worry the customer, then went back and fixed it after you left.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat May 12, 2018 3:05 pm UTC

Alright, most of the possible crime situations don't make any sense, so I think the cashier is in the clear. They're only guilty of under-reporting income, at worst.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Mon May 14, 2018 7:03 am UTC

Not even, the till breaks even, what was earned was still the same, definitely no problem.

Source: spent quite a lot of time working with modern cashiers.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu May 17, 2018 7:51 pm UTC

ThirdParty wrote:Almost certainly just a typo. The "4" and "1" keys are adjacent to one another on a standard keypad.

If the receipt says you paid $40 and got $33 in change, and the reality is that you paid $10 and got $3 in change, that's a net payment of $7 either way. Unless they're hoping to frame you for passing counterfeit $20 bills, I don't see what the benefit to anyone would be in misrepresenting your gross payment while correctly representing your net payment.

This.

If they're involved in theft, this wouldn't disguise missing money in the till(you do that by fudging the amount due for the items selected, not by fudging the amount received from the customer). Most likely they fat fingered it, and manually corrected. Cashiers tend to get pretty good at making change mentally.

Return to “General”