Can Renesemee catch on?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ColletArrow

Re: Can Renesemee catch on?

Postby ColletArrow » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:35 pm UTC

Seeing as my surname is "Bond", all I can say is that I'm glad my parents didn't name me "James". I do occasionally get comments, but I've built up a few stock responses, and I quite like it really. . There are of course other famous "Bond"s; my dad shares his name with the author of the Paddington Bear books, which is pretty cool as he tends to be less known. And seeing as GWR have named one of they're new IEP trains after said author, my dad now has his own train!

I think the governmental lists mentioned by somitomi sound interesting; they will certainly help to remove the annoying spelling differences, especially the ones where parents decide to use a perfectly normal name but use a bizarre spelling. Does the system also help to eradicate the situations where the persons initials will (intentionally or accidentally) spell a word?
I think a good first name should have a built-in nickname or shortening; again using "Michael" as an example, it can be left full or trimmed to "Mike". I like being able to change the length as I wish; I use my short version with friends and family, but prefer my full name for professional stuff. If I had to use the same for both, the two situations wouldn't feel segregated.

Overall, names are weird things, aren't they?

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:22 pm UTC

ColletArrow wrote:I think the governmental lists mentioned by somitomi sound interesting; they will certainly help to remove the annoying spelling differences, especially the ones where parents decide to use a perfectly normal name but use a bizarre spelling. Does the system also help to eradicate the situations where the persons initials will (intentionally or accidentally) spell a word?

I don't think so, at least the guidelines don't mention family names or initials at all.
—◯-◯

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:55 pm UTC

Bloopy wrote:If I constantly had to clarify the spelling of my name I'd get it changed to the most common/correct spelling or something similar.
Without going into the zone of personal info that's over the border of what I might casually share online vs. otherwise, suffice to say that my first name is a quite common one, but with two spellings to it (without going into 'deliberately odd' mode, like some parents do). I personally think my variation is the more ordinary of the two, but then I might have observational bias behind that assessment, as with my idea of how many times people who don't know me give me the wrong one (lots!).

Apart from the one-shot-and-missed ces, though, I've had to correct the same person once a year every year for more than a decade because they always get it wrong on official documentation for an annual event. Yes, it might be down on their computer records, or something, but then they're willfully not correcting the records as a direct followup to when I mention to them "you got it wrong, this year, just like last year, and the year before that, and the year before that…", which surely should have sparked some idea to make a note and (having made that note, probably not for the first time) remembered it existed some time between the first time sat down at the system after the event and the last time sat down at the system before the next year's initial Mail Merge.

(I actually go, popularly, by a shortened version of the name. Which even more so abbreviates to the version that relates directly to my full version, regardlesss, though there are hold-out exceptions to this in the world. I get alternate-version alternate-shortening a lot more than I'd expect.)

Himself

Postby Himself » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:21 pm UTC

While I would never change it, I do have one little pet peeve about my name: I have two middle names, but many official forms only allow for one middle initial.
What is fun is that my middle names make up a decent full name, as they are my grandfather's first name and my mother's maiden name.
"Looking me am a civilization person"
-Ratio Tile

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:59 pm UTC

Bloopy wrote:What's disturbing is not the name itself, but the fact that parents have managed to spell it so many different ways already (none of which match OP's spelling, funnily enough).

My parents considered calling me Christopher, but settled on Paul, partly to save me time and effort. :lol: If I constantly had to clarify the spelling of my name I'd get it changed to the most common/correct spelling or something similar.

So is it spelt Poul or Pall? (Hopefully not Pol.)

I am assuming others pronounce these and "Paul" all the same, as I do.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:24 pm UTC

ColletArrow wrote:Seeing as my surname is "Bond", all I can say is that I'm glad my parents didn't name me "James".

I wonder if we could be distantly related. My great grandma's maiden mame was Bond.

My name is Bond. Renesemee Bond. Doesn't sound very sinister.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

Return to “General”