Origami and Mental Illness

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Cleverbeans

Origami and Mental Illness

Postby Cleverbeans » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:59 am UTC

I put together some photos of my origami work and I thought I'd share it here. It includes some information about my mental illness and how I use paper folding to manage it. I hope you enjoy it.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln

lorb

Re: Origami and Mental Illness

Postby lorb » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:03 am UTC

Very nice! When my girlfriend of four years left me I was thinking about taking up smoking but instead started doing Origami. Way cheaper and healthier and a lot more interesting. I'm happy to see that you also get a lot of good from it. Especially the tiniest ones are also rather impressive.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
http://decodedarfur.org/

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:46 pm UTC

Thanks, Cleverbeans, for making my day more fun and beautiful.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:05 pm UTC

Wow, that is impressively tiny origami! I also love the geometric ones. I'd love to get back into origami - most of my grad work was spent dissecting animals the size of a grain of rice, and I love fine motor skill requiring projects.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:06 am UTC

Impressive work, Cleverbeans! FWIW, I've folded quite a few flapping birds over the decades, but never any that tiny. (But I do have a cellophane one on my desk that I folded about 20 years ago).

AlfaLyr

Postby AlfaLyr » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:44 pm UTC

Wow, this is amazing, so nice such a beautiful thing could help with your health!
1060 nm : a scientist girl life!

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:18 pm UTC

That's beautiful work Cleverbeans, thanks for sharing it. It's interesting... I also have a GAD diagnosis, and independently hit on origami to manage my anxiety, I find it works very well for me. I'm folding a lot of butterflies just at the moment.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:41 pm UTC

lorb wrote:Very nice! When my girlfriend of four years left me I was thinking about taking up smoking but instead started doing Origami. Way cheaper and healthier and a lot more interesting. I'm happy to see that you also get a lot of good from it. Especially the tiniest ones are also rather impressive.

We should start a chain origami-er gang, hanging out behind dumpsters showing off art
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

Return to “General”