Thoughts for ships

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Re: Random natterings

Postby Sableagle » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:51 pm UTC

Angua wrote:http://www.nhs.uk/news/2016/09September/Pages/cuddling-a-kitten-almost-certainly-wont-kill-you.aspx

Can we please just stop with ridiculous science "reporting".
Would you prefer just plain ridiculous "reporting" without the science part?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 27356.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 19831.html

There you go.

Oh, yeah, some guy got shot in the hea at a protest in Charlotte, too, but that only concerns people in a tiny part of the world. The zodiac being wrong is, like, completely irrelevant everywhere, man ...

Fear, anger and confusion erupted this week when reports, apparently originating in Cosmopolitan, suggested that Nasa was going to be changing the star signs around.

The two announcements caused panic in people who are interested in astronomy, provoking personal crises as it suggested that people weren’t who they thought and might have the wrong signs tattooed on their body. But there is not really any need to worry.

But modern astrology is its own thing, and acts by its own rules. It doesn’t really matter whether the star signs change as long as everyone still reads their old one, and astrologers still write about them the same way.

A third of a page or so dedicated to an article that could have been just:
It doesn’t really matter
... plus a full stop.

If they'd settled for that, they wouldn't have put "astronomy" where they meant "astrology."
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:35 pm UTC

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:05 pm UTC

I've just been reminded that I never did get answers to these, possibly because I never actually asked:

Next question to ask Randall Munroe: which would be the better ski slope at -10'C, meringue, sorbet or "traditional" dairy ice-cream ...

... and which would be the best place to land in a 10,000ft parachute-failure incident, the giant bowl of frozen yoghurt, the giant ball of candyfloss (no stick) or the giant raspberry pavlova?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:31 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:I've just been reminded that I never did get answers to these, possibly because I never actually asked:

Next question to ask Randall Munroe: which would be the better ski slope at -10'C, meringue, sorbet or "traditional" dairy ice-cream ...

... and which would be the best place to land in a 10,000ft parachute-failure incident, the giant bowl of frozen yoghurt, the giant ball of candyfloss (no stick) or the giant raspberry pavlova?

You could always try the what if thread in the science forum.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:42 pm UTC

This may be the only time I ever write "candy floss ftw".
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
- Anais Nin, writer (21 Feb 1903-1977)

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:38 am UTC

If you have an arbitrarily large number of thin sheets of tissue paper (and a way to mount them in mid-air), you could probably use them to survive a fall.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:50 am UTC

Well, yes, if I have a stack of crumpled toilet paper sheets 10,000ft high, I could jump out of a slow-moving plane at 10,000ft right onto it and survive that, I'm sure. They're ... well, okay, technically they are made of sugar, but they're not a "sweet treat," so they don't count as a way to survive your unexpected arrival in Candy World.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:44 pm UTC

Currently sitting in the exam schools waiting for a talk followed by a book signing by none other than Randall Munroe!
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:11 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Currently sitting in the exam schools waiting for a talk followed by a book signing by none other than Randall Munroe!

Punch him in the face and yell "And that's for making comics that make MRAs and Climate Change Deniers join the forum!"
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:24 pm UTC

Hold up a pic of ST while you're doing it so he knows that ST sent you. (Sent the punch, I suppose. Is that what's meant by telegraphing your intentions?)
TEAM SHIVAHN

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:06 pm UTC

I'm probably late, but: give him a hat!

SecondTalon wrote:
Angua wrote:Currently sitting in the exam schools waiting for a talk followed by a book signing by none other than Randall Munroe!

Punch him in the face and yell "And that's for making comics that make MRAs and Climate Change Deniers join the forum!"

And then keep punching him until he adds the forum link to the main page again.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:52 pm UTC

The queue for the signing is pretty long. He seems too nice to punch.

I don't have a hat on me.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:18 pm UTC

Double post for update - he was super nice, and also likes manatees.

Also, he started out his talk with 'this is probably the only time I'll ever come to the UK, before both our countries wall themselves in'.
GNU Terry Pratchett

elminster

Postby elminster » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:55 pm UTC

I really should have went to one of the talks in London, I've been reading XKCD for less than a month short of an entire decade (from ~nov 2006) and I could have gotten to either of the locations within ~35mins. Worn out 2 xkcd tshirts in that time from wearing them while training (>500km running).
I'm not that good at going to events on my own.

I've been too busy working on my new project... >1k hour cosplay round 2 (Round 1 here). Really need to learn to properly make pcbs etc as there's no premade parts suitable at a low cost. When you have an absolute max peak rated load of 550w in a single costume, in particular LEDs rated at a total of 78A @5v (actual tested is ~65A), you need some beefy wiring setup(for a costume). Although I'm going to software limit it to time at max, and switch off by default, because it's hard to dissipate that much heat inside a costume.
May not be a flashlight, but ofc relevant xkcd

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:01 pm UTC

man your thing keeps poppping up in my feed (i do theatre/film, know lots of costumers/cosplayers) and everytime i'm like "hey! i know that guy! sorta!"
ImageImageImageImageImage

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:02 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:04 pm UTC

It's Evil Snuffleupagus. Neat.
TEAM SHIVAHN

elminster

Postby elminster » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:50 am UTC

suffer-cait wrote:man your thing keeps poppping up in my feed (i do theatre/film, know lots of costumers/cosplayers) and everytime i'm like "hey! i know that guy! sorta!"
Yeah it's surprising how popular it got, but the video only actually showed about half the things it was designed to do. I would have put more effort into it if I knew it would get >20m views total (>7.6m on the main video). Although it was my first attempt at cosplay, so I can say "I'm a first time beginner that's dabbled in it".
Either way, i'm trying to top it with my newest one. It's far simpler mechanically and smaller, but far more detailed and the electronics are far more complex. Hoping to sell replicas, which I just can't do for my other since it's super impractical. Ideally, if it generates enough interest, I can fund tools to make other stuff I had planned. I mean, if I had tools, space, and funds... minds would get blown.

Although art is a pretty poor choice for money making; essentially what you make is only worth as much as what other people think.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:31 am UTC

elminster wrote:in particular LEDs rated at a total of 78A @5v (actual tested is ~65A), you need some beefy wiring setup(for a costume).

Beefy as in cables as thick as fingers to transfer 65A? Or the sheer number of LEDs, switches and controller board(s) that need wires?

elminster

Postby elminster » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:09 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
elminster wrote:in particular LEDs rated at a total of 78A @5v (actual tested is ~65A), you need some beefy wiring setup(for a costume).

Beefy as in cables as thick as fingers to transfer 65A? Or the sheer number of LEDs, switches and controller board(s) that need wires?
The 65A load was based off testing a few strip's multiplied by the amount that will be in it. I'm using ultra high density addressable LED strips(144/m), so there's a lot leds*, power has to be injected at multiple points else huge voltage drops. Using an 8 cell Lipo/Li-ion setup, 28.8-29.6v nominal, with 5v regulators close to the load. Also it's split between 2 wings, so peak load on any section of wire is actually going to be ~24A for distance of about 5cm (due to how it will be setup). Although the idea is to only run at peak power for seconds at a time, largely due to LEDs dissipating heat, not cabling. I've toyed with the idea of embedding heat sink plates within the external shell (or mixing aluminium powder into sections of the polyurethane casting to increase conductivity), but I'd rather not turn this into an engineering nightmare.
Also since I intend to sell some, I'm being extra conservative/safe with requirements. This is several hundred hours into design/research/testing, well over 100 datasheets read by now. However build time will be much faster as there's 16 laser cut aluminium bits, 82 laser cut acrylic bits in the design.
*If I was to buy these LEDs from one of the few western suppliers, it would cost around $500 just in leds alone, luckily chinese economics makes them around $120.

...i'm not very good at keeping projects expectations reasonable, but at least I'm not No Man's Sky...

addams

Postby addams » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:16 am UTC

Today I was told, "A higher percentage of Swedish citizens read and write English than US citizens read and write English."
With Twitter at everyone's fingertips; How can that be??

Maybe, a person must be able to read and write an entire page of text.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:06 am UTC

Attracts immigrants. May not know English yet. Assumes equal assessments of literacy too.

Also:
Huffington Post in 2013 wrote:According to the Department of Justice, "The link between academic failure and delinquency, violence, and crime is welded to reading failure." The stats back up this claim: 85 percent of all juveniles who interface with the juvenile court system are functionally illiterate, and over 70 percent of inmates in America's prisons cannot read above a fourth grade level, according to BeginToRead.com.

Cannot easily access Twitter while incarcerated.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:58 am UTC

This is utterly hilarious.

Someone took a lot of time and effort in recreating all those pics.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:20 pm UTC

You'd think people in prison would have a lot of time to read books. I'd do some research about their access to libraries but I don't want to be sad.

Also that rock climbing article is hilarious.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:45 pm UTC

I was sort of expecting OR to have identified all the locations and used the same ones ... and maybe had the men in frilly pink blouses and black microskirts too.

As for books in prison, you can just watch The Shawshank Redemption again or ... oh, it was here, not there. Liberal, leftie Europe, always so keen to defend convicts' rights, unless the Tories get in, in which case f__k the bottom 85%.

We know it was a mistake – and we know they know it was a mistake – because it was introduced by Chris Grayling last November as part of a new “incentives and earned privileges” regime. That is, prisoners could get hold of new books, but only by buying them, and only when they had earned the right to do so. Soon after the rule came under fire, however, he and his department began to claim it was a policy aimed at stemming the flow of drugs into prison (an assertion rapidly dismissed by the Prisoner Officers Association). So, right from the start, the Ministry of Justice knew its original justification was preposterous.

One aspect of the ruling that was seldom discussed during the campaign was that a ban on receiving gifts is also a ban on giving gifts. Most prisoners have families on the outside – children, parents, partners, siblings, none of whom have done anything wrong – and this was a punishment for them, too. Especially around birthdays. Especially in the run-up up to Christmas.

I cannot believe that anyone at the Ministry of Justice thought this was a good way of controlling prisoners’ behaviour. I can only guess that no one there did much thinking at all.

Now, there's even a website for it:
Send Books to UK Prisoners

UK Prisons are overflowing and it is hard for prisoners to to access quality reading material to help break the boredom. UK Prisoners need books and other reading material to help pass the time. At many prisons there are very few quality books available to the prison population, and often what is there is poor quality in poor condition.

UK Prison libraries if they exist are often quite limited, and prisoner access to them is often highly restricted. The only way to ensure you family members or friends have access to quality books is to send them yourself. This is the only way for prisoners to access reading material.

As you probably could imagine, most prisoners have very little to look forward to but the passing of time. Mail time is often the single biggest part of the day. Most UK prisons have very strict rules regarding mail and parcels received by the prisoners. But most UK prisons will allow soft cover books and non-spiraled books to be sent if directly from the publisher,

I wonder whether they'd accept books sent to "anyone interested" or "any prisoner who didn't get anything else in today's mail call" rather than books sent to actual named inmates.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:54 am UTC

I know there's a books for prisoners group in Madison, WI. They are always looking for more books with LGBTQ authors or characters.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:36 am UTC

elminster wrote:Ideally, if it generates enough interest, I can fund tools to make other stuff I had planned. I mean, if I had tools, space, and funds... minds would get blown.

Although art is a pretty poor choice for money making; essentially what you make is only worth as much as what other people think.

Happening into that situation is my life goal. You're lucky as you got one people legit spend money on. Good luck!
ImageImageImageImageImage

Mambrino

Postby Mambrino » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:37 pm UTC

Levis relents, 501's available as stretch

I do hope the traditional cotton version stays available. I do hope we will get over this athletic fashion in 5 years. The cycle lasts about ten years, right?

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:14 pm UTC

Hmm. Ctrl-scroll doesn't show the really small stuff either. Even scrolling right in, the 1s never show and the 4s stay as single points, while the 20s become clearly legible.
Somewhere, something is only pretending to scale the text properly.
I wonder whether there is a single threshold for that.
Maybe there are two thresholds.
Maybe there are many.
It is probably easier to just try different sizes out than to try to reverse-engineer the browser ... and things probably look different in preview and after submitting them.

The Large Text Baron has come out of retirement to deal with this wall of tiny textual annoyance.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:25 pm UTC

I'm not sure if the large text baron approves of your post.

She most certainly doesn't.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:28 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:Hmm. Ctrl-scroll doesn't show the really small stuff either. Even scrolling right in, the 1s never show and the 4s stay as single points, while the 20s become clearly legible.
Somewhere, something is only pretending to scale the text properly.
I wonder whether there is a single threshold for that.
Maybe there are two thresholds.
Maybe there are many.
It is probably easier to just try different sizes out than to try to reverse-engineer the browser ... and things probably look different in preview and after submitting them.

I just minimum font size in my browser.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:36 pm UTC

That'd work too. I can zoom out until the largest line is dots before the smallest line disappears, and I can zoom in until the smallest line is just legible, but the size 1 never shows. Maybe it's part of that campaign against anorexia in the fashion industry and just got a bit carried away with not showing anything smaller than a (US) size 2.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:10 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Scan-161008-0001.jpg
I'm curious about something.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:18 am UTC

Approximately once every five years, I come to a point where I realize pretty much everything I held true five years ago was bullshit.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:36 am UTC

It's a recurring theme in life. I look forward to getting to 80 or so and deciding I'm done with updating my beliefs to better match reality.
TEAM SHIVAHN

New User

Postby New User » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:39 am UTC

I hear so much contradictory information, I don't know what to believe about most topics. It's an unprecedented drawback of our modern instant access to such a large volume of information. This problem stems from certain factors. For one, the term information should not be confused with fact. Information alone can be true or untrue. Another factor is that one person cannot possibly take in so much information that is available through the internet. Also, regardless of the amount of information we view, we cannot fact check, research, cross examine, or otherwise verify every claim we are exposed to, and thus must take at least some statements at face value. Thus, when faced with contradictory statements, I can only admit that I don't know what to believe.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:42 am UTC

New User wrote:I hear so much contradictory information, I don't know what to believe about most topics. It's an unprecedented drawback of our modern instant access to such a large volume of information. This problem stems from certain factors. For one, the term information should not be confused with fact. Information alone can be true or untrue. Another factor is that one person cannot possibly take in so much information that is available through the internet. Also, regardless of the amount of information we view, we cannot fact check, research, cross examine, or otherwise verify every claim we are exposed to, and thus must take at least some statements at face value. Thus, when faced with contradictory statements, I can only admit that I don't know what to believe.

I think this means you're the wisest man in Greece.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:34 am UTC

That's the strongest argument for Johnson I've read.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:13 pm UTC

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:30 pm UTC

GNU Terry Pratchett

Return to “General”