Thoughts for ships

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

PolakoVoador

Re: Fluff

Postby PolakoVoador » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:21 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:At any rate, having driven down Florida's interstate..... I will never mock Indiana drivers again. Indiana drivers are perfect compared to these lunatics.

While in Berlin I was once told by a local that if you try to cross the street when you don't have a walk signal the drivers will intentionally try and hit you.

That being said, Boston drivers are insane.

Around here (Porto Alegre, Brazil), drivers might try to hit and hit you regardless. I've lived in Berlin*, and it's almost magical how things work compared to here. We're not at South East Asia levels of insanity, but people will cross the street just about anywhere, ignoring crosswalks, and drivers will retibute by also ignoring crosswalks. Man, I miss Germany.

*Ok, it was Potsdam actually, but it's a good enough aproximation.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:36 pm UTC

When I was studying abroad in Germany, the professor warned us not to jaywalk, because the cars would try to hit us. Then every time we were walking somewhere as a group, he would dash across the street and leave half the group on the wrong side waiting for cars to pass.

And he once told a story that started "This one time I had to kill a chicken for the military..."

I miss Germany, too. I have a semi-secret ambition of someday living and working there. I don't know how many US-American software engineers get hired to work in Germany, though.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:05 pm UTC

Isotope_238 wrote:I miss Germany, too. I have a semi-secret ambition of someday living and working there. I don't know how many US-American software engineers get hired to work in Germany, though.

If you're good at the job, you can definitely get a job doing software development in Europe. I think my current employer (Swedish software development house) has employees from something like 28 nationalities.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:12 pm UTC

There is a Huge difference between being Childlike and being Childish.
Do you ever think about That?

If not, Lucky You.
Who questions delightful circumstances?

Well...Some people do.
It always comes 'round to The Weather.
Spoiler:
The delightful warm wind with a dropping Barometer means Tie Shit Down to an Adult.
That wind is a Joy to a Childlike Child and to a Childlike Adult.

Childish People sometimes don't notice the Weather, until the Electricity goes out.

It does not always come 'round to The Weather.
Sociology and Psychology both study our control.

Most of my life, Man did not have control of The Weather.
Man had control of Self.

The last frontier was The Mind.
The Mind was the first frontier, too.

Aristotle did not Start it.
Humans were Thinking about Thinking long before the Old Boy was born.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:39 pm UTC

addams wrote:There is a Huge difference between being Childlike and being Childish.
Do you ever think about That?

My mom always says that you're only young once, but you can be immature forever. "Immature" has some negative connotations, but she means it like you don't have to grow up and stop doing things like eating ice cream for breakfast (to pick an example at random that bears absolutely no resemblance to my life).

You, sir, name? wrote:If you're good at the job, you can definitely get a job doing software development in Europe. I think my current employer (Swedish software development house) has employees from something like 28 nationalities.

I'll keep harboring that ambition, then. I graduated from college this spring and am now working at a fairly large software company. It's not one of the Silicon Valley giants, but after five years here, I shouldn't have any trouble finding a job elsewhere if I want to go looking. Or in five years' time, this company may very well have expanded to Germany and I could try wrangling a position on that team.

speising

Postby speising » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:57 pm UTC

Isotope_238 wrote:When I was studying abroad in Germany, the professor warned us not to jaywalk, because the cars would try to hit us.

i suspect he was just messing with you. germans love their cars too much to risk dents.

on another note, i had heard horror stories before visiting vietnam, but i found the traffic in Hanoi rather refreshing. sure, if you wait for a green light and stopping cars to cross the street, you'll die of old age, but if you just start walking determinedly, the traffic'll flow around you naturally, no problem. don't try that in germany, unless you want to learn profanities.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:49 pm UTC

German cars kill 1/10th as many people as cars in Vietnam.

Now, it isn't central africa, where some countries apparently hit "10% chance per year to kill someone per car" -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... death_rate -- but SE asia is NOT a safe spot to be on or near roads with cars on them.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

speising

Postby speising » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:57 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:German cars kill 1/10th as many people as cars in Vietnam.

Now, it isn't central africa, where some countries apparently hit "10% chance per year to kill someone per car" -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... death_rate -- but SE asia is NOT a safe spot to be on or near roads with cars on them.

yes, but i'd actually like to see that splitted for pedestrians and car passengers. it wouldn't surprise me at all that there's a huge number of crashes, seeing how they drive with reckless abandon.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:37 pm UTC

I'm excited to see autonomous cars, because then they can drive even more recklessly without crashing. (in theory)

Actually, I'm expecting car security to become a major issue in the next few decades. Especially if cars start talking to each other in a peer-to-peer network to avoid collisions.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:44 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:recklessly

More aggressively, perhaps. But I'd hope a computer would work out what consequences were and take them into account :P

speising

Postby speising » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:45 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:I'm excited to see autonomous cars, because then they can drive even more recklessly without crashing. (in theory)

Actually, I'm expecting car security to become a major issue in the next few decades. Especially if cars start talking to each other in a peer-to-peer network to avoid collisions.

i don't see that happen anytime soon. maybe toyotas talk to toyotas and bmw to bmw, each with their own proprietary protocol, of course...
but then they don't reach critical mass and the whole thing get shelved.
and the privacy conscious paranoid won't want that anyway, lest they get tracked.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:17 pm UTC

Evidence shows that worry about being tracked without a warrant is well founded.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:48 pm UTC

We are pushing for new technologies really fast and not really pushing for security. One example is the recent vulnerabilities in wifi-enabled appliances, including toilets and light bulbs (the latter leaked your WiFi password). If driverless cars are to become a reality, it makes sense that they talk to each other, but that brings in security issues like man in the middle attacks and it's a difficult problem to solve.
The rage in their eyes, torches in their hands
And the power of the cross bringing fear to all the land
And darkness will come to us all.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:52 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Evidence shows that worry about being tracked without a warrant is well founded.

Evidence also shows that most people don't particularly care about it. There's not exactly been a popular revolt over all the recent privacy scandals.

On road safety, I honestly think in 30-50 years people will look back at how we do transportation now and be utterly appalled. We just accept, without even really thinking about it, that 1-2 million people die every year from car accidents, because we let poorly trained human amateurs control almost all of our vehicles. I suspect that in 50 years, when the technology exists to make car accidents practically non-existant, that statistic will be shocking to most younger people.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:10 am UTC

Adacore wrote:Evidence also shows that most people don't particularly care about it. There's not exactly been a popular revolt over all the recent privacy scandals.

I think that people care, but they're generally lazy about being active about it.

Such as you just said, how we allow so many road deaths without really thinking about it.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:40 am UTC

Adacore wrote:On road safety, I honestly think in 30-50 years people will look back at how we do transportation now and be utterly appalled. We just accept, without even really thinking about it, that 1-2 million people die every year from car accidents, because we let poorly trained human amateurs control almost all of our vehicles. I suspect that in 50 years, when the technology exists to make car accidents practically non-existant, that statistic will be shocking to most younger people.

Killed more before (relatively, in the United States).

Traffic Deaths.png
(Source)

Finds previous percentages unsurprising. Invented something. Improved it over time. Views automated driving as another step. Predicts viruses for popular automobiles, sadly.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:50 am UTC

I don't see who has an incentive to make viruses/malware for vehicle safety systems. There's not much financial benefit, and I don't think many hackers want to actually murder people for the lulz. It's not a particularly viable method for criminals/secret agencies to assassinate people, because you couldn't guarantee fatality (or even injury), and you'd risk leaving some record of the malware on the car's computer which would be detected in the accident investigation. I guess you could track location data, which might be somewhat saleable, but hacking phones is probably an easier way to do that. Terrorism is possible I guess, but only on a very small scale, unless you somehow manage to infect a large number of cars with stealth malware and activate it all simultaneously.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:04 am UTC

Guesses pettiness. Hacks refrigerators. Sees no reason for automobiles to be immune. Hates a company for some reason. Hopes to reduce sales. Programs something malicious. May not intend to kill. Disables or impedes the automobile's functions, such as a sudden shutdown. Might be sufficient.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:18 am UTC

Adacore wrote:I don't see who has an incentive to make viruses/malware for vehicle safety systems. There's not much financial benefit, and I don't think many hackers want to actually murder people for the lulz.

"Send $300 worth of bitcoins to this wallet, or we'll disable your car" or even more likely "send $300 worth of bitcoins to this wallet and we'll let your car work again". Ransomeware is nothing new, and when it's something you need on a daily basis I bet enough people would pay up to make it worthwhile.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:14 am UTC

You've seen Doctor Horrible, right? Van heist. Or the scene in Bruce Almighty where he parts traffic like thto your to your care Red Sea.

More likely, just identity theft. Some new models advertise the ability to connect your phone wirelessly to your car, which is a colossally bad idea.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:00 am UTC

I don't think it's a bad idea. The potential negative effects of my car/phone being hacked in some movie plot scenario present a risk that is significantly outweighed by the convenience of having my phone connected to my car without having to take it out of my pocket. This seems pretty obvious to me.

Also, completely unrelated question. One of my Korean colleagues has used the word 'vitalize' in a report I'm reviewing. He wants a word that means 'revitalize', but without the connotation that there has been a decline/deterioration that is being restored. So I'm looking for a word I can use to mean 'inject a burst of energy and vigor into an area of the business through this new project'.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:05 am UTC

Adacore wrote:I don't see who has an incentive to make viruses/malware for vehicle safety systems. There's not much financial benefit, and I don't think many hackers want to actually murder people for the lulz.

They could cause traffic just for the lulz. Or lead the car to an endless loop for the lulz. Plus making viruses sounds like a nice way to carnap. E.g. make the car go crazy, terrifying the passengers, then make it stop, and knowing that the car is insane the passengers would probably leave. Then start it again and lead it to your place.

Edit: @Adacore: try invigorate?

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:00 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:You've seen Doctor Horrible, right? Van heist. Or the scene in Bruce Almighty where he parts traffic like thto your to your care Red Sea.

... Uh... Sometimes typing on my phone doesn't turn out so well.

@Adacore: Really the only problem is that cars don't have very strong network security systems in place, as far as I know. Although it also wouldn't be very hard to implement one as cars get more advanced.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:02 am UTC

No financial motivation? Lone car, driving on the highway at night, a couple of kidnappers/robbers...

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:08 am UTC

Maybe it's just that my perception is different because I live in South Korea. The road fatality rate is relatively high, and the violent crime rate is extremely low. Even if such a crime were possible, and reasonably easy, I can't see it happening more than once or twice a year here, compared to several people dying on the roads every day.

EDIT: Prostitution rates, on the other hand, are ridiculously high. Not that prostitution should necessarily be a crime. But, from Wikipedia, in 2002 it was estimated that 20% of Korean men in their 20s paid for sex at least 4 times a month, over 350,000 visited prostitutes daily, and more than 5% of Korean young women were involved in the sex trade. Those numbers have gone down a bit in the last decade, but they're still very high. I knew this already, but didn't realize how extreme it was.

tastelikecoke wrote:Edit: @Adacore: try invigorate?

Thanks - that might just work!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:39 pm UTC

Adacore wrote: the convenience of having my phone connected to my car without having to take it out of my pocket. This seems pretty obvious to me. .

What doesn't seem obvious to me - why do you want the two talking, ever? What purpose does it serve?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

roband

Postby roband » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:42 pm UTC

Bluetooth putting call-audio through speakers and picking up a microphone?

yurell

Postby yurell » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:58 pm UTC

Your mobile can stay happily in your bag without you having to touch it, and the call is re-routed through your car's speaker and microphone, allowing you to talk as if the caller were in the car with you, instead of having to pull over. Extremely convenient when you're driving in a city or on a highway, and would have to pull over just to see whether the call is important enough to pull over for.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:57 pm UTC

Yeah, phone calls is the big one. The ability to listen to audio files (music, books, &c.) from your phone while driving is also nice. Personally, I don't have a great music selection on my car stereo, but I do have gigabytes of storage and a lot of mp3s on my phone, so being able to easily listen to that would be nice - especially living in a country where the radio stations aren't in English and mostly play K-Pop...

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:21 pm UTC

My car is connected to my phone.

When I get a call when I'm driving, the name/number shows up on my dash screen, even if my phone is tucked away in a bag. I can dismiss or answer the phone call with a button on my steering wheel. If I want to listen to Pandora or whatever, I can pipe it through my car speakers. It's pretty rad.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:23 pm UTC

I've never had a situation where I absolutely couldn't wait until I could park somewhere before talking on my phone. If I feel like I need to take a call, it's never a problem to find the nearest parking lot. As far as music goes, CDs, radios, hard drives, and iPods work every bit as well as Pandora. Personally, I'm more afraid my phone and my car will conspire against me than I am that I'll miss that all-important phone call.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:38 am UTC

I want a self-driving car. I don't care about the practical reasons to get one (or the practical problems of having one). Self-driving cars are like something out of science fiction and I frequently get really excited by the fact that we're actually living in the future. In fact, the future we're in now is even cooler than the fictional one of sixty years ago. No vacuum tubes in our spaceships, for example.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:50 am UTC

My wife's car does the Bluetooth thing. Having used it on both sides....

Just check your voicemail/pull over and make the call.

But yea, that. Any other reason that involves a more involved connection than essentially turning your vehicle into a Bluetooth headset?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

yurell

Postby yurell » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:06 am UTC

Isotope_238 wrote:No vacuum tubes in our spaceships, for example.

On the other hand, not much in the way of space ships either — optimistic fiction before the printed circuit had large space stations for things like weather etc., and so a (comparatively) large number of people living space (and a commensurably larger infrastructure to launch objects into space). Now, we just have unmanned satellites and so people in space is more of a novelty than actually useful.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:20 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:My wife's car does the Bluetooth thing. Having used it on both sides....

Just check your voicemail/pull over and make the call.

But yea, that. Any other reason that involves a more involved connection than essentially turning your vehicle into a Bluetooth headset?
Automated fuel consumption tracking - add in paying via NFC app and GPS logging, and you could have a very simple but extremely useful data source. Turn-by-turn directions on a HUD, informed by real time traffic data. Tracking and/or displaying performance metrics not displayed on the dashboard. Traction control settings influenced by weather data. Maybe facebook will come up with an RSVP system that gives live ETAs of people to events. You might be able to do interesting climate things with the "outside temperture" data from huge numbers of cars.

This is just off the top of my head, as someone who has no experience with automotive engineering or much with mobile development. The availability of a pile of sensors, moderate compute power, some storage, and internet access where they really weren't before opens to door to people coming up with some creative and awesome things.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:37 am UTC

Honestly, being able to pipe my Google Play or Amazon Prime music libraries through my car speakers is reason enough for me. On the other hand, a head-unit with an AUX jack and a male-male miniphone cable would work just as well and probably be cheaper.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:49 am UTC

I was using my Bluetooth phone to play music, but with my new phone (HTC One M8) I couldn't get it to auto play (it worked about 10% of the time) so I just put my music on an SD card and play from there. Also, I can load an address into my GPS from contacts via voice commands.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:34 am UTC

Thesh wrote:so I just put my music on an SD card and play from there.
Wait, are you putting the SD card in a port on your dash? Or into a different device?
--Flobots "Mayday"

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:39 am UTC

Into an SD card slot on my dash.

EDIT: Or multimedia console, or whatever it's called these days.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:32 am UTC

I had no idea that was a thing. That's kind of cool.
--Flobots "Mayday"

Return to “General”