INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kozmo

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby Kozmo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:39 pm UTC

Monika wrote:How old were you in 2006?

I was 18. I had just started my first office job, and, after the first week of trying hard to impress I don't know who cause it was a temporary job anyway, I realized I can read webcomics instead. :)

Yakk wrote:The term exists. It may even predate the "Third World" term that is far better known.

Ok good to know. So then I meant, if the term exists in the sense in which I was (hopefully obviously) using it: not exactly first world but not really third world either.

HOLOGRAPHICpizza

Postby HOLOGRAPHICpizza » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:30 pm UTC

Wuzzup wuzzup everybody?? I'm HOLOGRAPHICpizza (With a trivial amount of googling you can find my real name, I don't mind people knowing it, I just prefer to go by HOLOGRAPHICpizza online.), and I'm obviously new here! My name comes from way back in the day when me and my highschool buddies all made up usernames in the form of ADJECTIVEnoun. My friends include ROBUSTham, UNSTABLEocelot, and LEAKYburrito.

I'm a computer science dropout who works in retail, hates every minute of it, and constantly talks about how some day I'm gonna finish my degree and escape the shithole place I work at.

I've been lurking here for quite a while, and decided to finally join the conversation. Also, I noticed that my browser's spell check is not working for this post. Is this a fluke or has something intentionally been done to prevent it from working? (Yes I could search the fora for the answer to that question, so feel free to ignore it. :P )

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:35 pm UTC

Autocorrect generally works on my browser (at least, when I'm posting from a computer).
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:40 am UTC

Besides Firefox repeatedly setting the default language for spell checking to Arabic, it works just fine also on this forum.

(Spell checkers are not for muggles and non-human magical beings, though.)
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people e.g. Ragna needs these items and Frances needs money for food

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:29 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:At one point, the iron curtain was described as separating the world into "two worlds" -- the First World of the "west" (Liberal Capitalist Democracies, more or less), and the Second World of various Communist states (USSR and China). The Third World was then those that belonged to neither -- the "hinterlands" of the world, which where underdeveloped and poor. It was in this Third World that the superpowers in the First and Second Worlds battled in proxy wars, because direct conflict was viewed as too dangerous.

Yep, underdeveloped and poor. Like Ireland, and Sweden.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:20 pm UTC

I hear in Ireland they don't even have green beer on St Patty's Day.

In Sweden, they eat rotten fish, and consider themselves lucky.

Those poor, poor souls.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:57 pm UTC

It so weirds me out that in America it's 'St. Patty's Day'. The Irish shortening of 'Patrick' is 'Paddy' so you get 'St. Paddy's Day'. Patty is a woman's name. Who is this Patty of which you speak?
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:41 am UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:It so weirds me out that in America it's 'St. Patty's Day'. The Irish shortening of 'Patrick' is 'Paddy' so you get 'St. Paddy's Day'. Patty is a woman's name. Who is this Patty of which you speak?
Perhaps that version of the name originated from someone who didn't know how Irish people shorten their names (I know that I, as an American, didn't know that Paddy was a shortening of Patty until just now). Patty and Paddy are pronounced the same in American English (unless the vowels are different, but I wouldn't think they were just from looking at them), so it could also just be a misspelling. I've always just heard it called St. Patrick's Day.
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · they (for now, at least) · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
flicky1991 wrote:In both cases the quote is "I'm being quoted too much!"

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:48 am UTC

chridd wrote:
Fractal_Tangent wrote:It so weirds me out that in America it's 'St. Patty's Day'. The Irish shortening of 'Patrick' is 'Paddy' so you get 'St. Paddy's Day'. Patty is a woman's name. Who is this Patty of which you speak?
Perhaps that version of the name originated from someone who didn't know how Irish people shorten their names (I know that I, as an American, didn't know that Paddy was a shortening of Patty until just now). Patty and Paddy are pronounced the same in American English (unless the vowels are different, but I wouldn't think they were just from looking at them), so it could also just be a misspelling. I've always just heard it called St. Patrick's Day.

Yeah I was born in the States but I have English parents so I've always mostly understood things except this one. I suppose that it is a very easy mistake to make though.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

Logological

Postby Logological » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:55 pm UTC

Greetings, all.

I am Logological. Finding my real name is left as a (trivial) exercise for the reader. I am new here, so here are some interesting facts about me:

1. I was introduced to xkcd by my friend Ruthi. Or was it Emma? I can never remember.
  2. I am interested in computer science, linguistics, and logology (surprise surprise).
  3. I have a theory that Randall Munroe is really The Straight Dope's Cecil Adams. (Has anyone ever seen them in the same room together?)
  4. I am not a bot.
  5. Though I have been posting on web forums for decades, I have never posted in an "introduce yourself"–type thread until now.

That's all for now. Carry on, folks.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:03 pm UTC

Cool, now I know the term "logology"! Welcome!
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Logological

Postby Logological » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:16 pm UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Cool, now I know the term "logology"! Welcome!

Thanks!

P.S. — You totally need to steal my avatar.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:18 pm UTC

Something like that, anyway...
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:31 am UTC

Welcome Andrew! and good luck!
ImageImageImageImageImage

TheAuditors

Postby TheAuditors » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:58 pm UTC

They like it when people tell them who they are.

Most illogical.

To not do so might arouse suspicion.

Very well. We are the auditors. We audit reality, make sure that gravity works, and that atoms spins, we fill in the appropriate paperwork for each chemical reaction and so forth.

baordog

Postby baordog » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:21 pm UTC

Hello am I am boardog. Computer security is my game. I do lots of interesting art and security type things.

Two questions:
1) What's up the forum terminology (is it just a substitution algo? Like when I say t-h-i-s will it become thith automatically?)
test case: this
test case: computer science.
What's up with that?
2)Any formal opposition to long going ongoing threads like "Let's reads" and that kind of thing?

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:57 pm UTC

You've joined during one of our most beloved (or despised, depending on whether you're fun or not) forum holidays. It's mod madness and today is its second day (it usually lasts approximately a week). This announcement may help explain some of it.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

baordog

Postby baordog » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:31 pm UTC

That explains a great deal. I thought you all had just evolved a highly advanced forum slang.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:41 pm UTC

We generally end up with a few filters sticking around and then, when they do eventually disappear, people are so used to them that they enter forum slang.

The first year or two I was here everyone was talking about cheese burning them when they found things funny because it was what "lol" filtered to.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

SFX

Re: You there! It was you what done it, wasn't it? Tell us

Postby SFX » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:58 pm UTC

I AM SPARTACUS!

FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:43 pm UTC

Some preexisting filters are:
ch uck Norris -
Bruce Schneier
Sh rill
- justified
Po litically correct - Basically Decent
OM G - Oh me yarm
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

SFX

Postby SFX » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:53 pm UTC

I DON'T UNDERSTAND ANY OF THIS!

LET'S ROCK!

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:42 am UTC

You may find a list of filters at http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/The_Madness_(2_A.T.)
Indeed, we have forum slang, but nothing livens the experience as much as the insane Azrael giving us a myriad filters.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:14 pm UTC

Wir sollten einfach auf Deutsch kommunizieren, bis der Moderatorenwahnsinn vorbei ist.
Please donate to help these people e.g. Ragna needs these items and Frances needs money for food

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:23 pm UTC

Eine feine Idee!
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

treereenee

Postby treereenee » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:07 pm UTC

I'm Renee, I've been a lurker for a long time but I joined today so I could play with Mod Madness.

I'm 36 and a scientist for the government. I code in FORTRAN.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Re: +++MELON MELON MELON+++ +++MELON MELON MELON+++!+++MELON

Postby Whizbang » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:13 pm UTC

+++MELON MELON MELON+++, treereenee, and Ook ook eek squeak squeak.

JeffdJohnson

Postby JeffdJohnson » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:36 pm UTC

Hello All,

My name, rather unsurprisingly, is Jeff. Having read through some of these introductions I now regret that I didn't choose a more creative username. Perhaps Flufflenuffagus or YbeeFly, but I'm old(ish) and my creativity was sucked out with my soul when I took a government research position a few years ago. Consequently I am forever stuck with jeffdjohnson as my username.

I've stumbled across many xkcd comics over the years. Most of them made me chuckle, but I largely ignored them until I needed a super cool intro for a recent presentation. This led me to the xkcd website, where I found the random button and subsequently lost several hours of my life. Like any true addict, I have decided to double down and really throw myself into my new found love.

And that is the story of how I ended up here on this forum.

JD

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:21 am UTC

Welcome to the forums, Jeff D Johnson!
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:39 am UTC

Welcome fellow addict!

Rosencrantz

Postby Rosencrantz » Wed May 13, 2015 11:41 pm UTC

Hello fora-goers,

Rosencrantz here. I'm a male 20-something currently going to college to get a piece of paper saying that I'm good at Computer Stuff. I live and learn in the upper-right United States. You can call me Rosencrantz, Rosen, Rose, something else, or maybe my real name if I ever share that. In my free time, I play games, do music (play/listen/write?), and hit people with foam sticks. Oh, and spend all of my life on the Internet so that I don't actually have any time for those previous things.

I've been following the comic and lurking on the fora for quite a while. In fact, I did create an account on here about five years ago, but quickly humiliated myself and stopped posting. But now I'm back, and hopefully more level-headed! That being said, I still think too much about what I say, so posting is taking for ever. Maybe that'll change.

In all likelihood, I will go silent again in a few months when I head back to college, but for now I'm here(ish).

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Thu May 14, 2015 7:49 am UTC

Welcome!
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Fri May 22, 2015 3:28 pm UTC

So. I'm also new. Hello!

You've probably heard this stuff before.

That's the thing with Echoes, mind. ;-D

I'm all sorts of things. Mostly a nerd, but all sorts of other seemingly incompatible things underneath. Which is where things get interesting.

Currently trying to occupy a minor leadership role in a STEM career. Which is... ugh. Draining and depressing, most of the time. Being female seems to put me in the position of having to justify every little thing I want, from first principles. My reaction to this is to get a little bit Black Hat Girl on people once in a while, but I try to limit the damage to the Deserving.

xkcd lightens the mood. And provides a handy source of explaining what will happen to anyone who ever tries to check in another "GOTO" without me thinking "Actually, yeah, OK, that one kind of makes sense". And there's all sorts of cool stuff in the forums, I discovered. So I joined. Hooray!

(You can try talking to an Echo now)
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sat May 23, 2015 11:18 am UTC

Welcome, Echo!

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Sun May 24, 2015 7:08 pm UTC

Welcome, Echo!
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Sun May 24, 2015 7:36 pm UTC

Welcome, Echo!
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Mon May 25, 2015 7:55 am UTC

<Hugs all the friendly welcoming people>
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

almach

Postby almach » Sun May 31, 2015 8:57 pm UTC

Hi all. I'm 24 years old and Canadian and I study cognitive science as an undergrad. I have a cat (pictured). That may be all there is to say about me. :)

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:10 pm UTC

Cats are good! CogSci is good, too!

GeorgeRichard

Postby GeorgeRichard » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:42 am UTC

Hey all, i am new to this forum....!!
How are you all???

Return to “General”