Sleep-time holodeck experiences

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Re: What were your dreams last night?

Postby Sableagle » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:23 pm UTC

Snake wrote:I jump on a motorcycle (like in movies) and haha, don’t drive because I don't know how :lol: and after i just wake up. Thinking about getting an A license.
Right grip is the throttle. Roll back to open. Keep your wrist behind it so the acceleration doesn't throw your hand back and open it further. Lever in front is front brake. Left grip doesn't twist. Lever in front is clutch. Squeeze to disengage clutch. Gears are sequential on a lever in front of your left foot. Click up or down and release. 1 is at the bottom, then N, then 2, 3, 4, probably 5 and maybe 6. Right foot has the rear brake. Due to weight shifting forwards as you brake, the front brake is the really effective one. Braking too hard on the back will cause a rear-wheel slide. If this happens, release the back brake, keep the front wheel pointing where it's going and try to ride out of it. Indicators are a left thumb switch, left to start signalling left, right to start signalling right and push in at the middle to cancel the signal. Bikes go where you look, so look at the gap between the lorries, not at one of the lorries. If you get a chain drive, always make sure the tension's correct before you drive it. To set, off, hold the bike with the front brake, put your right foot on the ground, clutch out, click down into first gear, put your left foot on the ground, put your right foot on the peg and apply the rear brake, release the front brake, rev a little and ease the clutch in until the engine is pulling against the brake (or taking the weight, for a hill start) and release the rear brake. You should be able to lift your left foot up and put it on the peg straight away. This is easier if you put it down forwards rather than out to the side. To park on a hill, put it in gear, switch off, let it roll until the engine stops it and then put the stand down. If you get a heavy bike, leaning to turn it won't work fast enough. The way to turn a heavy bike is to turn the front wheel the opposite way. You want it to lean right, you push the right grip. You want it to lean left, you push the left grip. It'll lean to the side you push. Look around. Look around a lot. Bear in mind that you are surrounded by selfish, egotistical, arrogant, incompetent, impatient fools feeling very safe in their self-propelled shark cages. Wear full armour. Leave at least two seconds' travel between yourself and rear end of the thing in front and at least four seconds to the thing in front of that. Look around a lot. Get there alive later. Watch out for idiots. Look around a lot. If you are absolutely, definitely, going to hit a car, try to jump off the bike and go over the car. You'll slow down more gradually rolling and sliding along the road on the far side of it and thus take less damage. Look around a lot.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:44 pm UTC

I forgot to study for a test. It was a written test about video games, and ended up being about something like Halo, maybe Halo 2, or just nebulously the franchise. I was worried because I hadn't studied. It was open book, or maybe I tried to sneak reading a book about it. Spent an hour on the test, and wasn't even close to done because I was reading the book to find answers. That worried me, as most classes only give you an hour. Test was only about 8 questions long, and most parts were a quick sentence or two to answer, but I wasn't done. Teacher/professor said you can take more than an hour if you want. I'd started with the last question, and worked backwards through the test.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

New User

Postby New User » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:35 pm UTC

I can't quite make sense of it, even though it seemed detailed at the time. I was on some sort of journey or quest with a mismatched group of people. It seemed as if whatever we were trying to achieve was of some grand importance, as if the fate of the cosmos depended on it. Q from Star Trek was with us, but I suspected that he had an ulterior motive, because otherwise he wouldn't have chosen to remain in human form among us. In a junkyard, I met a very young girl who had some kind of psychic power or something. She could remotely locate the objects that we sought. She could barely talk, and needed diapers, but she didn't have any. We figured that dealing with her soiled clothes was the price to pay for how valuable her ability was to the group. She didn't have a name, so we just referred to her as the baby. Q and the girl are the only party members I remember, but there were enough to fill a four-door car, so four or five adults plus the baby.

After I roused slightly and went back to dreaming, I revisited the junkyard. There, I heard her voice. It was a warm feeling, like finding an old friend. I searched behind a metal panel on a large industrial machine or something, and found the girl there in a nest of dried leaves. I crawled inside to join her, even though I thought it was filthy. She talked to me as I inspected the leaves, and I found that her makeshift home seemed to be actually quite clean, considering it was mostly leaves and twigs inside a metal cabinet. I also then realized that she had grown up. She mentioned that her child was four years old, and I could tell that she was older, but still had a small body. I told her that she could live somewhere better, but she said that she lived there by choice. When she was a baby, she was found wild in that junkyard, and she always considered it her home so she returned there after our quest was completed.

I have the feeling there are a lot of other details but I just don't remember them. I drifted in and out of sleep sometimes (it's common since I am often awoken by noises), and sometimes the dreams seemed more connected than others.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:46 am UTC

Interesting night, lots of dream sequences. Early on (I think, if it wasn't a later memory-rerun-within-a-dteam thing) I was in Iceland and commuting by plane for four or five consecutive days. A low cost (but flashily super-jumbo-like, and huuuge windows) plane that took the route of the local major river (and canals) by actually flying under road bridges that passed over it. There were good reasons for this, but unless it was because of restricted rights to use the higher (above bridge-level!) airspace I have no idea why. But I had gotten used to where the pilot aimed us (towards a certain tree, on approach to a bridge, then swing over to miss the tree and be in line for under the bridge at an angle to be ready to aim at, then pass, the next obstacle). ...you know, I think this was more flashback, later on, than actual 'realtime' dream, but I've gotten it out of the way now.

And then I was dragged away from Iceland (for ...reasons... but not good ones, as I complained to myself, in-dream, about the distraction...) and had an on-foot encounter with an apparently deranged person with a large knife, who was a danger to himself and others. It's blurry how, but I was involved in subduing him, and gained possession of the knife. Which I was reassured was no longer needed for evidence/fingerprinting/etc, so I examined it myself. And found out that it was made of smaller bits of metal, tongue-and-grooved together into a brick-like (basic "stretcher bond", for those that know it) pattern of interlinks.

This, I theorise to... somebody... is how this knife was made. Instead of such a large blade blank being punched out by a sophisticated metal-press, then laboriously machined into 'bladeness', much smaller (smaller than a standard knife) pieces of harder material could be (really?!?) punched out on a more handy 'small pieces of metal' punch-outerer, *something somthing something about getting those tongue-and grooves machined into the internal edges, for some reason being trivial for edges in a super-tough material, on a width of metal maybe 2mm or so at the most, and perfectly enough to work!* and assembling. Perhaps with the outer edge being sharpened afteewards. In a knife that I was now casually disassembling, by hand, into its component shards, just like I might a segmented chocolate bar, and wrapping them up together, safe. Weird.

Departing the scene (I had given the blade bits to someone else) I passed by a cat, high on a wall. Clearly was an echo of the two or three cats encountered yesterday (for real) up on walls, or walking round corners, all of whom resisted my often-practiced 'attract the cat' vocalisations (a mixture of squeaks, whistles, rhythmic purrs and mews - employed according to the skittishness and curiosity of the cat, after catching its attention; the last friendly street-cat I encountered was several days ago, who was happy to be head-scratched and stroked in return for smearing his face-scent onto my hand (and possible spraying some imperceptible rear-scent onto my trouser-leg), unusually for the cats around here, who are generally much more cautious) and stayed atop their walls or dashed back around their corners.

None of those (real life) cats were totally black, nor an overwhelming number of the cats that roam my area. Yet the dream one was (I was already composing this in mind, after I awoke) and, when I went into the kitchen for breakfast, so was the cat I spotted stalking through my garden. Weird.

Anyway, back to the dream,.. I'd managed to get back onto the Icelandic air-commute (assuming this wasn't the point that the 'memories' of the earlier stint came to happen to me, to explain things) and from my superb view (at least row J, back, but with the huge up-and-over front windscreen/shield to the plane, I had perfect view and understanding) I could tell that we weren't flying the right line at all. The inevitable happened, in that on a sharp left turn, we clipped an wing-slung engine (but not the wing??) on the right-hand side of a bridge that we were supposed to have turned (sharply) left under...

Which, obviously, sent us casually spinning, arse-first under the bridge and grounding. No panic. Some people seemed to want to stay in the seats during the evacuation. I had to wait for the elderly couple (aisleward) next to me to get up and move off (and got tangled on ill-designed seat arms, something I was going to mention to the steward) and I had by then struck up conversation with the men in the row behind (who had spoken only thick Icelandic (or so my brain told me) and, but now were quite conversant in English with a generically American accent), until I could free myself from the awkward furniture.

Heading to the back of the plane, there was a superwide drop-down tail-ramp that hadn't dropped down, so people were hopping out of a side-door in the fully glaze plane side, onto a handily placed concrete step that was part of the bridge foundations. (Note to self: try to stop dreaming in Tomb Raider architectural/environment style.)

I let some other casual 'stragglers' leave first. Apparently, as I told everyone, "I'd rather like to be the last person who gets out of this door", possibly in the sense of Russian roulette with the fuel tanks or something (that enough other people clearly had not considered, given there were perhaps at least 5% of the seats still occupied by unconcerned travellers). And I dawdled, perhaps sort of hoping that I would step through the door just as the plane (which had no indication of doing so, and was clearly made of super-light indistructium, anyway!) exploded behind me...

Then, next thing, my alarm woke me. (And, getting breakfast, I saw that black cat.)

Soupspoon

Re: Sleep-time holodeck experiences

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:50 am UTC

Excuse the effective double-post, but I had a most memorable "outception" last night.

The core memorable dream was of travelling in France, apparently a redo of prior sequences which I don't recall so well, but this time realising I had been travelling, previously, on the assumption that I should be on the left hand side of the road (you know, like all sensible countries... ;)) and I can still remember much of this, but I'll spare you these details.

I wasn't going to spare you the details, though. I thought it worth writing it up (for here) and proceeded to do so promptly once I awoke, and had just got it finished to my satisfaction when...

...I woke up. Darn. I was just dreaming that I had been writing my interesting dream down. I now need to actually write it, this time, I realise. As I explained to some people I met whilst walking through an old town's narrow streets, by this old piano built into the wall. (I added some guff about having just dreamed about a dream about knowing how to play the piano, for the sake of this man's kids. No idea of why.) I of course knew that this was real, as I explained to the father, as he was just too real and didn't (for example) jump around inexplicably if I blinked. I blink, and he jumps around, and I'm left trying to rationalise this.

Out another layer? I'm not sure. That might have been when my 7 o'clock alarm went. The alarm that lets me doze another few minutes. Which I did. During which I sank into a separate scenario (based around the outskirts of London, but another Travelling Dream, in essence) during which I recounted some of my French adventures to the walkers and fellow cyclists with whom I was navigating the motorways (with special dispensation!) as I tried to accomplish our trip without undue incident.

Out and in again, and it's me and my parents in Cornwall (or some analogue of it) who eventually reach a harbourside 'test track' for various drivers (and riders) of vehicles to classify them into both levels of safety and of confidence (one recklessly overconfident 4x4 owner is blazing around, not realising that he's going to gain nothing from it), and while I don't recount the French adventure, I'm quite eager for this task to be over so that I can write about it... And/or so I can get back to the London show/performance/whatever that I was apparently looking forward to (actually arranged during this Cornish trip), whilst at the same time concerned that in the 'bring things that others might find interesting' post-test-track thing, my mother's own offering of a talk about <something of historical interest that my mother knows a lot about> had not had a single taker.

Then the 7:15 alarm went, and I had to get up. And (so far) it's been a somewhat typical day. And I've lost the desire to write about France, directly, and instead think the number of layers (both connected and disconnected!) that did directly hold that desire is more notable. But then it's always possible that one or other of my alarms is about to ring. I've already dreamt that I've been fooled before, so why not again?

And does this mean that I have to write this all again, including now the fact that I wrote about the dream-nesting only within a nested dream? I hope not. Although maybe it could be written better a second(/third/whatever) time round. ;)

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:08 pm UTC

Basalt! I traveled to Portland to visit a store that specialized in items made out of basalt. The showroom floor had a screen showing the company's quarry in western Oregon, and a very pleasant old man helped me decide what rocks to buy. I told him I had a budget of around $250 for some flat basalt panels to be used as decoration, and after walking around an enormous warehouse I finally settled on three pieces that were roughly 6" by 3' rectangles. They were $69.99 each, plus tax. And I have a heck of a time finding my way back to the car, due to the Inception-esque labyrinthine nature of the store.

Man, did these people love basalt. They didn't even have any other minerals. But there were all kinds of basalt statues, and basalt picture frames, and giant basalt spheres. They had different textures, if you wanted your basalt rough or polished or whatever. And there were stacks of slabs cut to pretty much every dimension, even though it would make more sense to make them by order.

I'm not sure what this means, but it might have something to do with Dwarf Fortress.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:58 pm UTC

(Makes me wonder if there's a Talcs'R'Us, a JP Periclase, TJ Mixite, Willemart, Horneblende Depot or MicaDonalds...? ;))

New User

Postby New User » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:21 am UTC

I got a new solid state storage device for my personal computer. It was long and narrow, in two pieces that were loosely joined by wires or a hinge. Altogether it was probably about four or five feet long, two inches wide, and one inch thick. Vladimir Putin and some of his Russian associates were nearby. They were acting friendly, but I suspected that they weren't sincere and I didn't trust them. They kept encouraging me to install the storage device on my computer as soon as possible, which made me suspicious. I imagined that they planned to hack my PC and use the storage device for malicious software.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:22 pm UTC

My nightmare was presented as a story-within-the-dream The story took place on facing pages of a picture book. The picture was of many blue-green paper dolls crowded on the red-brown pages, Where's Waldo style, and they were attending a pot luck dinner. The mass murderer doll killed all the other dolls at the pot luck except the mass murderer's wife-doll. While he was killing the others, she ate herself to death on all the food.

Talk about a downer.
In all fairness...

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:17 pm UTC

Ok, so, in a time-loop, I had negotiated an understanding between two participants in a pod-cast, one far-right in politics and one far far-far right, for some reason. (I had seen that they had been resolved, earlier, then went back in time into a gap in my participation and engineered this. For why, I don't know.)

Then I also helped everyone out by enlisting the help of the Milestone Society and the Letterbox Study Group (genuinely real organisations, as I had to explain to those in the dream) to get us somewhere important.

No idea why, or how we got to that point, or exactly what happened afterwards. But that's dreams, for you. Especially as it's only this afternoon that I finally think to make notes on this early-AM's little sequence.

emceng

Postby emceng » Sat May 13, 2017 12:05 pm UTC

I was on a tour, maybe on a bus, of this bear farm. It had open areas, then was broken up by fences of trees or maybe crushed cars. I Two planes flew by doing loops and flips and such. Then one straightened out and had this really big door open out - like the normal stairs, but much wider. Then I saw that people were on the door, while it was open, in the air. It was a wedding party doing photos. I said something about that being the dumbest thing I'd ever seen. Then some people got blown off the door. I watched them fall, and other things fell out of the plane. They landed on the bear farm, and crushed some of them, and I think the owner.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

New User

Postby New User » Thu May 18, 2017 12:19 am UTC

I went for a visit to a doctor. In the waiting room, I had to wait for a long time. The facility had some sort of malfunction, so the waits were abnormally long and there were a lot of people in the waiting room. My mother was there, also. Eventually, a man in a white shirt summoned me to see the doctor. I followed him alone, but I had to follow him a long way across an enormous hospital, including through an elevator, a very crowded food court (where I had to struggle not to lose him in the crowd, focusing on the white shirt), and through corridors. Eventually we came outdoors to an amphitheater-like space, which was crowded with people and also was some sort of waiting area. I asked him why it was so far away from the first waiting area, and his reply was that the facility was very busy and going through a lot of changes and malfunctions along the way. He led me up to the top of the amphitheater, where it was quite dark (night time), and indicated that the doctor's office was inside a low stone structure, kind of like an ancient Egyptian pyramid, truncated and crumbling. There were several of these structures in the darkness there. I commented that it looked like a tomb. The attendant opened the tomb. The top half folded back like a clam shell. As it opened, I could see inside and the interior matched. There was gold and lapis lazuli everywhere. There was a sarcophagus with two golden jackals on top. I jokingly asked if the doctor is a mummy. I cautiously went inside, and eventually saw the doctor behind a counter. It didn't look quite human. It was quite small, and had a ring of spikes around the crown of its head (rather like the statue of liberty). The doctor stood to greet me, and I ran to escape. The attendant in the white shirt pursued me, but I hid behind a pile of clothing. I thought that maybe he knew I was there, but he gave up the search anyway. I then wanted to find my way back across the complicated path I had taken, back to where my mother was waiting. I had to be careful to hide in the crowds so the attendant wouldn't spot me. I found that I had no pants (I know it's a dream cliche, but this was really the dream!). But nobody seemed to care. I found my way into an area of empty corridors, which had signs indicating that wing was being remodeled or something, and since it was late at night, nobody was present. I thought it would be convenient to take these corridors to stay hidden. Eventually I found a puddle of water, from where it seemed to be a leaky ceiling. I thought I saw a small shadow-like person, no taller than my knee. I became afraid and distressed, as if I was being attacked. It was rather Silent Hill-esque. It was about this time I awoke.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu May 18, 2017 3:09 pm UTC

In one, I was in this huge old farmhouse. Three or four floors. Really cool house, I think I've dreamed about it before. There was something about maybe renting out part of it. Then was moving to the pacific Northwest, and was going to try and buy a duplex or fourplex to move into.

Another one - the Joker did this cool bike jump where he spun the bike around, and then fired a bow and arrow and killed somebody. Another Joker was in the crowd, and we were trying to convince people that he was the real one and the bike one was fake.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri May 19, 2017 11:39 pm UTC

First part. Was sneaking around someplace. All stealthy, movie like. Did this a bunch of times repeatedly. Hid behind a counter, and there were tons of boxes of raisins under it.

Later, was with a group, and we were escaping bad guys. There were non-humans, reminded me of ancient Egypt with narrow heads and such. Was like a big action movie. At some point, we were betrayed by someone in the group. They turned into a monster, like a dinosaur. I turned into a massive dragon, and killed the bad guys, but all the rest of the good guys may have died. Then was trying to leave, and was a human. Was climbing something, and it turned into a flat wall of panels. Observers laughed at me. I fell and died. Then we repeated, and I kicked away from the wall, and instead fell and turned into the dragon again.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sat May 20, 2017 11:03 am UTC

Had one that was even more holodeck than usual...

The setting was New York State DMV (I've never been in the state, much less the DMV) whre apparently I'd just qualified for a license. The DMV lady asked if I'd be willing to take a depth perception test.

She didn't give me much guidance beyond where to sit and park my face.

A series of movie scenes appeared. The ones I remember were a group of animals of some type; the employees behind a counter at a deli; a monster truck that had a near accident and rolled to a stop near something lying next to a curb. The animals/people/objects would order themselves by depth and then freeze frame for a second.

At first I wondered how it would work; but during the third grouping (deli) I realized/suspected I was supposed to be remembering how each group was arranged for a post-test. I was annoyed because I suspected the DMV lady omitted mentioning that on purpose.

The truck scene was particularly interesting because my view was a foot or two from the left tire, at pavement level. In that one, I think the objective was to correctly determine if the right tire or the object near the curb were farther away (object).

My alarm went off after the truck tires turned left and drove around the object. There were about five scenes in total but I only remember these three.

Bonus dream concept: There was more to this other dream, I recall it was worthy of inclusion here. But sadly, all I remember now is "peanut butter french fries." Which do not sound like a culinary winner.
In all fairness...

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun May 21, 2017 12:30 pm UTC

For some reason, I have a recurring dream in which I'm visiting my parents but all of their light bulbs have burned out so I stumble around in the dark.

New User

Postby New User » Sun May 21, 2017 12:48 pm UTC

I dreamed I was shopping for shoes. The saleswoman offered me two shoes in a style that she claimed was traditional, "as made by the English for hundreds of years." One pair was black leather with long pointed toes. The other was blue leather, but the toe had a round hole. I immediately rejected both, but then told her that I'd consider the blue pair.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:11 am UTC

Attended a family reunion. Became tired. Lay down next to a couch. (Remained awake in the dream still.) Attracted a long-haired Dalmatian with the same plan. Overheard a relative talking. Described the scene as cute. Exchanged the dog for a cat at some point. (Woke up twice during this. Suspects around then.)

Felt relaxing. Avoided a scenario preventing rest, thankfully. Carried little to no fatigue into waking hours.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:31 am UTC

I had a strange dream recently that I got in some kind of argument with a person walking the streets near my house at the same time as me (probably a smoker?), and it turned into a fist fight, wherein I basically just absorbed the punches and laughed at the guy for "only play-fighting", intending to mock him for being an ineffectual fighter, but somehow mistakenly giving him the impression that the whole conflict in the first place was some kind of friendly joke that he had violently misunderstood, and the whole thing ended with him thinking we were friends and giving me a hug, and me thinking that that was weird and no I really don't like him and did mean everything in the argument but okay if this makes him stop fighting me I'll accept it.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

New User

Postby New User » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:54 am UTC

I think real life should be more like that dream.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:36 am UTC

I was in a national park on some kind of tour, and we saw a bunch of geese floating down a river in a V formation. The park ranger explained that migrating waterfowl will frequently use rivers for travel because it burns less calories than flying.

... When I woke up I realized this is probably bullshit, but I haven't done any research because I want to believe.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:41 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:I was in a national park on some kind of tour, and we saw a bunch of geese floating down a river in a V formation. The park ranger explained that migrating waterfowl will frequently use rivers for travel because it burns less calories than flying.

... When I woke up I realized this is probably bullshit, but I haven't done any research because I want to believe.

I had a hearty chuckle.

Most of the dreams I remember are on the more disturbing side, since they wake me up in the middle. Or at least the Lynch side.
kalira wrote:But your own butt is always in the past, because it's behind you.

New User

Postby New User » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:50 pm UTC

I dreamed I was cooking macaroni and cheese, and it needed more water added. So I added coffee from the mug in my hand. I only realized this wasn't a good idea after I had added too much. The dish became more watery as desired, but it tasted too bitter.

Return to “General”