What are 10 future out of the box technologies/inventions

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Maximum7

What are 10 future out of the box technologies/inventions

Postby Maximum7 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:04 am UTC

What are 10 future inventions or technologies that you can think of that are creative and out of the box- not just generic and cliché ones like "Jetpack" and "Flying car".

p1t1o

Re: What are 10 future out of the box technologies/inventions

Postby p1t1o » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:53 am UTC

Take your pick out of all the sci-fi books.

Head up display on a contact lens.
Technological memory enhancement.
Drug that instantly and completely removes all effects of alcohol.
Mobile phone in a tooth.
Spray on skin (wound treatment)
Artificial blood.
Grow-your-own organs.
Massively distributed surveillance.
AI caretaker.
Space tourism.

andykhang

Postby andykhang » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:33 pm UTC

TBH, if you're asked that, I can't think of any other invention beside sex toys...Though they're surprisingly the pioneer when it come to new tech, so here goes:

1. Touch-me sex aid that bring osgasm with a touch.

2. Sensory-depravation, virtual reality tank for sexual depravity.

3. Sex change pill, will changed your gender within days (minutes for a quickie)

4. Brain-to-Brain Mind Sex.

5. Gential Adapter for Bestality.

6. Transmorphoism chamber, for furry.

7. Grow-a-Tentacles.

8. AI prositute (a Classic)

9. Insta-loli/shota beam (Named Legal Youth(TM))

10. Safe sex nanobot. (Depend on your imagination)

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:04 pm UTC

On transhumanism...

1. Memory augmentation: Having something like a USB port on your body that would allow you to download data directly into your brain. Or, more likely, some sort of internal WiFi receiver that would allow you to download information anywhere or connect to anything.
2. Prosthetic everything: Modifications to your eyes to improve vision, see other parts of the spectrum, etc. Modifications to arms to make you stronger. Modification to various internal organs to make them more efficient/resilient, with the corresponding massive enhancement to life expectancy.
3. Malicious uses for all of the above, ranging from malware to cyber warfare.
4. Alternative energy source for humans... plug into an electrical outlet for the night instead of eating.

Various technologies dealing with catastrophic climate change ranging from...

5. High-yield solar or photosynthetic renewable energy.
6. Genetically engineered organisms to soak up excess carbon.
7. Undersea mining or reclamation technology to salvage resources from areas flooded out by sea level rises
8. Ocean platform colonies
9. Massive desalination operations to create new freshwater

Miscellaneous...

10. Nuclear transmutation reactors to produce rare elements.
11. Effective hormonal contraceptives for men. Crazy world!

Bloopy

Postby Bloopy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:48 pm UTC

Surfaces that never get dirty or mouldy, perhaps by digesting the dirt somehow (the next step beyond self-healing paint).

Seats and furniture that can shrink and expand to accommodate different-sized people or for storage/moving purposes.

Swarms of microbots that can do things like shave your face/legs, move heavy objects and vehicles, retrieve litter from an area or debris from racing circuits during a race etc.

Movies, TV shows and music that support mods to the extent that some PC games do.

Along similar lines, food and drink products you can customise to your tastes or dietary needs when you order them from the grocery store.

An anti-gun device that leaps onto the end of the barrel and catches bullets as they're coming out.

An anti-gun/weapon device that uses a strong electromagnet to rip the weapon away (like an MRI machine but of a convenient size for shops, and able to switch on suddenly at a cashier's command). It'd have to be prepared to catch a bullet.

Watching sports via a miniature 3D augmented reality projection of the whole playing field floating in the middle of your living room.

A self-driving toilet which automates the process as much as possible, with robotic arms to hold you in an optimal position, catch errant splurts and wipe afterwards.

Surroundings that react to people, eg. if you transmit a dislike to a wall somehow (I think they just frowned in the old days) it changes colour, or if you like a tree on a city street, some more planter boxes with the same kind of trees roll over to join it. If you enter a bar wearing a band t-shirt, the jukebox recognises it and queues up one of the band's songs in its playlist.

p1t1o wrote:Grow-your-own organs.

Sounds like they're making progress on this one. After all, they were growing bone in 2004: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/5832265/ns/he ... ck-muscle/

p1t1o

Postby p1t1o » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:17 pm UTC

Bloopy wrote:
Movies, TV shows and music that support mods to the extent that some PC games do.

I have been known to go very mod-heavy with certain games and this idea blows my mind.

"Hey, you watching Game of Thrones?"
"Yeah, you got the StarWars mod?"
"Nah, just vanilla, Im a purist."
"Pfft, then you're not really watching Game of Thrones..."

Bloopy

Postby Bloopy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:45 am UTC

:D I used to play with 3D Movie Maker on Win95 so I guess I got a head start. Unfortunately I think I lost my creations.

Exactly how it'd work, I'm not sure. The extreme method would be shows and films where under the hood, the actors simply make a variety of expressions, speak every phoneme instead of lines, and do a variety of interactions in each scene, maybe under various lighting conditions. Maybe they only need one scene in front of a green screen where they pretend to pick things up and so on.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:34 pm UTC

I do not know why, but I keep coming up with dancing inventions. I do not even like dancing that much.

Speakers that play a sound that matches the beat of how people are dancing. Although you could end up stuck in a loop, where songs of a certain time signature are always played because people are always dancing to songs of the same time signature.

Along the same lines, you can have spotlights focus on whoever is dancing the best, so it is kind of like how movies direct people's gaze toward the protagonists.

2 player DDR where you actually have to dance with a partner instead of 2 people playing side by side.

The tuxedo from The Tuxedo (the suit sends electric shocks to muscles so that they contract in ways to always do things awesomely).

One the same note, disguising a large item (EMPs, guns, disguise kit) as a small item (pen, ring, bracelet) is always a good one for spies.

Link

Postby Link » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:38 pm UTC

AI companions: essentially "make your own friend" kits that can have whatever personality you want them to have. They can be there for you whenever you want them to be, and can take as much shit from you as you want them to. Want a sounding board to work on that brilliant stroke of inspiration at 4 a.m. in the morning? AI companion. Want a shoulder to cry on? AI companion (with optional shoulder-analogue [$199; batteries not included]). Need someone to tell you to get the fuck out of bed and start being productive? AI companion again.

Personal gene therapy kits (possibly CRISPR/Cas9-derived), for when you want to change your eye colour, boost your metabolism, or glow in the dark. Available at any pharmacy near you.

Experience recorder: a device that scans your brain and reconstructs sensory input. A basic version could be used to render visual and auditory data to a standard movie file (mostly useful for recording dreams), and a more advanced version could reinject the raw input into the brain, allowing you to directly relive experiences, and even share them with other people.

Return to “Science”