Nomenclature of chimeric antibodies

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

J. Curwen

Nomenclature of chimeric antibodies

Postby J. Curwen » Sun May 31, 2015 10:14 am UTC

So today I learned about the nomenclature of monoclonal antibodies https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomenclature_of_monoclonal_antibodies. Before that, I thought there was no system to it and found it horrible to learn, but now I see it is quite nice with the stems and substems.
I especially like the "-ximab" for chimeric antibodies. Does anyone here know if "xi" was chosen intentionally for its similarity to "Chi" as the first letter in the Greek word for Chimera (Χίμαιρα)? Or is it a transliteration of the Greek letter "Xi" (Ξ)? Or is there nothing Greek involved at all and the similarity only by chance?
Toast, being an inanimate object, obviously lacks both the ability and the desire to right itself.
-- Wikipedia on the "Buttered cat paradox"

almach

Re: Nomenclature of chimeric antibodies

Postby almach » Sun May 31, 2015 7:50 pm UTC

Wiktionary (unfortunately can't link as this is my first post) suggests that it was chosen both for Greek "chi" and because the X represents the idea of "crossed/mixed cell lines".

J. Curwen

Re: Nomenclature of chimeric antibodies

Postby J. Curwen » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:30 pm UTC

almach wrote:Wiktionary (unfortunately can't link yet) suggests that it was chosen both for Greek "chi" and because the X represents the idea of "crossed/mixed cell lines".

Ah, thanks, your google-foo seems to be better than mine.
Here is the link for posterity: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/-xi-
Toast, being an inanimate object, obviously lacks both the ability and the desire to right itself.
-- Wikipedia on the "Buttered cat paradox"

Return to “Science”