Math Rules - Updated 2010/12/16

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Math Rules - Updated 2010/12/16

Postby gmalivuk » Tue May 01, 2007 8:42 pm UTC

Math: it makes science work, bitches.

Alright dudes/dudettes here's the shake down.

The following rules are in addition to standard fora etiquette.

Rule the first:
If it's doesn't have anything to do with Mathematics, and especially if it doesn't have anything to do with the original idea behind the thread (if it goes off-topic but is still about science we can split it so that's not a huge deal, but you should be starting new threads on your own initiative) it will most likely be <strongbad>DELETED</strongbad> (or moved/split, at moderator discretion)

Rule the second:
Only a small amount of pseudo-science is permitted, mostly to debunk it, and if we feel everything has been said we'll probably lock it (if you're still convinced after 3 pages that 0.999... is not equal to 1 it gets boring)

Rule the third:
Keep things civil. Sticks on the ice boys and girls. If you don't agree with someone on a particular theory/question do not attack them. Attack their math all you like, but for the most part we want to see people working together to help reach a common goal. Things like, what happens at the singularity of a black hole are not things anyone is close to determining for sure so we're going to have differing opinions, but that's no reason to get nasty. Flames will definitely be deleted, as it's easier to delete a post than edit out the flameness. Don't run the risk of a perfectly good argument being deleted because you wanted to make someone feel like an idiot.

If you have the words "idiot" or "arrogant" in your post, reconsider it.

Rule the fourth:
While these are the forums for a humour comic, don't get carried away with silliness. The mudkip thing was kinda funny, but as you can see it only encourages offtopic discussion which is a bit annoying. There's always General for that sorta thing. We herd they leik mudkips.

Rule the fifth - Homework and things that look like homework:
If the question you're asking is homework, say so, and let us know what work you've already done on the problem. If it's the sort of question that looks like homework but isn't, tell us that as well. If you don't, you may not find our answers particularly helpful. In fact, we may very well purposely write overly complicated and/or impractical solutions. (See this thread for an example.)
Seriously, we don't mind offering homework help to people who are honest in requesting it, and who have clearly done some work on their own before getting stuck. But we are not here to do your homework for you, so please don't just copy math or science questions directly from your problem set and expect us to kindly do all your work for you. Also, any person who abuses this and posts little other than homework questions will start to wear on our patience.
2008-12-22 Update: If you've figured out a homework problem, let us know. It means people no longer need to continue giving hints. (And if it's not a problem I expect to involve much discussion, it means I can go ahead and lock the thread.)
2010-12-16 Update: For everyone else, if someone is asking for homework help, don't just tell them explicitly how to do it. We like to help people with homework, but we shouldn't do it for them.

2009/10/21 Update: Rule/suggestion the sixth - Please make thread titles somewhat indicative of the content therein
I don't expect the title to give all the details of the content of the thread; that's what the OP is for. But I would like to be able to skim through the forum and know whether I've looked at or posted in a thread simply by reading the title. So things like "Interesting question" or "What if..." are not helpful. I've been editing these threads to change the subject line, but it would be helpful if you did the same. "Interesting question about a mirrored sphere" or "What if pi were 4?" would be much, much more useful to everyone.
Last edited by gmalivuk on Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:05 pm UTC, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: rules expansion/upgrade
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Wed May 02, 2007 2:12 am UTC

Isn't everything math-related though?
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Wed May 02, 2007 5:31 am UTC

only topics n when n=math?
Last edited by 4=5 on Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Wed May 02, 2007 5:42 am UTC

All three of these posts deserve to be deleted, and I would support such an action.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Wed May 02, 2007 9:37 am UTC

HYPERiON wrote:But do we really need more forums?

This is the rules thread - if you want to talk about this sort of stuff, go here...

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Wed May 02, 2007 3:00 pm UTC

Perhaps this would be the location to say how much I love the group title "Numberologics and Alchemy". :D

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Re:

Postby skeptical scientist » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:49 pm UTC

VTHodge wrote:Perhaps this would be the location to say how much I love the group title "Numberologics and Alchemy". :D

Seconded. But perhaps we could get a cooler subtitle than "For the discussion of math. Duh." - you know, something that bespeaks the beauty and majesty of this glorious subject. Something like "For the discussion of math, with applications to high explosives, car chases, and world domination." far cooler than anything I could come up with.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

iammercy

Re: Math Rules - Updated 2007/11/08

Postby iammercy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

1. For every natural number x, x = x. That is, equality is reflexive.
2. For all natural numbers x and y, if x = y, then y = x. That is, equality is symmetric.
3. For all natural numbers x, y and z, if x = y and y = z, then x = z. That is, equality is transitive.
4. For all a and b, if a is a natural number and a = b, then b is also a natural number. That is, the natural numbers are closed under equality.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: Math Rules - Updated 2008/12/22

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:36 am UTC

Added a request to let us know if you've solved HW problems.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

P13808

Re: Math Rules - Updated 2007/11/08

Postby P13808 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:15 am UTC

iammercy wrote:1. For every natural number x, x = x. That is, equality is reflexive.
2. For all natural numbers x and y, if x = y, then y = x. That is, equality is symmetric.
3. For all natural numbers x, y and z, if x = y and y = z, then x = z. That is, equality is transitive.
4. For all a and b, if a is a natural number and a = b, then b is also a natural number. That is, the natural numbers are closed under equality.

Why is this relevant to the thread?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: Math Rules - Updated 2010/12/16

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:22 am UTC

It's a list of math rules.
---

(he/him/his)

P13808

Re: Math Rules - Updated 2010/12/16

Postby P13808 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:28 am UTC

:lol:
I get it now. Thanks.

Return to “Mathematics”