[EUR] Continental Europe!

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Zarq

Re: Europe..?

Postby Zarq » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:14 am UTC

End of June until end September, although I will probably be in the US during July. Assuming it's not then, I will definitely join if it's in Belgium, maybe if it's in a neighbouring country*, not if it's in any other.

*I'm counting England as neighbouring.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

gordo

Postby gordo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:11 am UTC

Jesse wrote:I don't get one, on account of actually working. But if people make a date I might be able to do it.

Rium

Postby Rium » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:49 am UTC

Beginning of September to mid-October, I think, but I’ll try to make it if it’s not then.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:55 am UTC

Holiday from end of June until 1. September. Maximum likelihood I actually join in is in July.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Apparently Anonymous

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:59 am UTC

I'm in Vienna these days, though probably will be in Norway (Oslo) for at least parts of the summer vacation.

Rium

Postby Rium » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:06 pm UTC

So, to recap:
thalia: I'm pretty flexible with my time next summer as I'll be between uni and what I hope is a job
Rium: Beginning of September to mid-October, I think, but I’ll try to make it if it’s not then.
AngrySquirrel: Ye, I'm probably fine with whenever as long as I have warning very far in advance (3 months at minimum) so I can save up money/get free from work.
SlyReaper: I can't do 16th to 18th August or 24th to 26th May. Other than that, I'm totally free in summer.
Jesse, Diemo, gordo: I don't get summer holidays, on account of actually working. But if people make a date I might be able to do it.
Zarq: End of June until end September, although I will probably be in the US during July. Assuming it's not then, I will definitely join if it's in Belgium, maybe if it's in a neighbouring country (including England), not if it's in any other.
Jplus: Holiday from end of June until 1. September. Maximum likelihood I actually join in is in July.

Looks like nobody besides Zarq and Jplus has strong preferences for any specific month.

thalia

Postby thalia » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:09 pm UTC

Thanks, Rium. I took a forum hiatus. But now I'm BACK.

July: thalia, jplus
August: thalia, SlyReaper, Zarq, jplus(?)
September: Rium, Zarq
October: Rium
Whenever: AngrySquirrel, Jesse, Diemo, gordo, thalia, Rium, jplus

Okay, so it is obviously a bit of a puzzle to work out so that it works for everyone. I think the most important thing is to organize a weekend, and then people are able to plan around it if they have enough time. That's how I figure, anyway. I mean, given advance notice I am sure I could make a weekend in October or September work.

Also, there are the practical matters. Would we meet up at someone's home? I don't own a home and so I can't volunteer one either. But I would be up for staying at a youth hostel somewhere (slumming it!), and they are actually quite fun. I don't know, I could also shell out for a hotel. How do you guys envision this?

I don't suppose anybody would want to stay in my tiny old hometown, where there is a cabin in a pretty idyllic location I could look into renting.

But, honestly: should we set up an IRC meet&greet? What if we all actually really don't get along.
One of these days.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:17 pm UTC

Well, I don't mind hosting people at my place. Which is a small 2-bed apartment I share with my gf and sister, so a) would need to check with them first (probably not a problem to be honest) and b) space would be severely limited. But if you gus don't mind sharing a floor then should be all good. That would mean coming to Ireland though :).

I think an irc meet and greet would be a good idea as well.

How about the first weekend in September/last weekend in August. That is pretty close to when everyone can make it (maybe a week before or after some people, but it gives a good starting point.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Rium

Postby Rium » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:49 pm UTC

thalia wrote:Also, there are the practical matters. Would we meet up at someone's home? I don't own a home and so I can't volunteer one either. But I would be up for staying at a youth hostel somewhere (slumming it!), and they are actually quite fun. I don't know, I could also shell out for a hotel. How do you guys envision this?

Since I’ll have to travel for the meetup (if I can make it), I think I’ll be staying in the country for a couple days, in a youth hostel. Probably there’ll be some people who would be content to just meet for food and perhaps play some games, and others (like me) who think it might be fun to do stuff together the next day (or days) as well—wandering around the area for a day or two and see what there is to do.

thalia wrote:But, honestly: should we set up an IRC meet&greet? What if we all actually really don't get along.

I’m not too worried about not getting along with people since the people around here are pretty cool in general, but introducing ourselves sounds like a good idea. Who volunteers for setting up an IRC channel?

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:50 pm UTC

I would agree both with a youth hostel and with somebody's place. Like Rium I prefer to meet more than one day, even if I don't need to travel far. I also think an IRC channel would be a good idea, but I'd have to figure out how to create one first so I'd prefer if somebody else set it up.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:12 pm UTC

I'm with J+. I don't really use irc, so don't know how to set up a channel (or log into one for that matter)
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:58 pm UTC

I get along with everyone ever, proven fact, and I'm available on most social networks including IRC, Skype and RaidCall.

thalia

Postby thalia » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:25 pm UTC

Well unlike probably 95% of people here (guesstimate) I actually don't know much about computers other than how to find things and turn them on.

I can log into IRC, but that's pretty much it. Would it be possible to request some help setting one up on the foonetics-network? I know from the wiki that they have several channel, might as well add a meetup one for this exact purpose. Shall I just go ahead and ask, since I already lurk/visit?
One of these days.

gordo

Postby gordo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:38 pm UTC

Wow. IRC. The last time I used that was in the previous millennium... Nostalgia, I'm in!

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:52 am UTC

Guys, log onto irc.foonetic.net and /join #xkcdeuro

I'm sat in there right now, but am going to bed. Hopefully it does not log me out.

thalia

Postby thalia » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:58 am UTC

Great! Simple as that eh? I'll start hanging out there.
One of these days.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:06 pm UTC

I've never used IRC before. Do you need a client?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:30 pm UTC

I seem to remember there are sites you can use, but I can't find it anymore. I'm using the XChat client.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

thalia

Postby thalia » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:37 pm UTC

http://www.mibbit.com

It's really simple. Type in the server though. irc.foonetic.net
One of these days.

Rium

Postby Rium » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:05 am UTC

I just had a look, but there wasn’t anyone in #xkcdeuro. Perhaps a good thing to do would be to state in this thread that you’re going to be online at a certain date. As far as I’m concerned, I’ll try to be there Tuesday evening (7pm-ish, UTC+01:00) and possibly also Monday at the same time. :)

boXd

Postby boXd » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:53 am UTC

I'm in the Netherlands, too. :D

As for scheduling and stuff, here's a few things:
- I'm fine with anything, as long as things are planned a number of week in advance and aren't during exam weeks - that kind of thing. Don't know exactly when and how long summer break is (shocking, I know), but I guess everything between the end of july and the beginning of september is free game.
- It would be totally fine with me if people were to stay for the night at my house, but unfortunately my room is quite small and can handle only two - maybe three if you don't mind cramped conditions - other people. It's fine for more people to be here during the day, but I don't think my housemates would appreciate more than two/three people staying for the rest of the night.
- Outside of the Netherlands, travelling gets expensive and I'm already in debt because college is a bitch. I also don't have a driving license and don't really intend to get one. Ergo, I'm cool with travelling to other countries, but it most likely makes planning things a bit more complicated.

thalia

Postby thalia » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:58 am UTC

Rium: barring any unforeseen event, I'll try and meet you there Tuesday. =)

boXd: Great to see you here! The meeting point is yet unplanned, these things can also be discussed in the IRC.. I realise that Norway is perhaps the least convenient location for everybody.
One of these days.

thalia

Postby thalia » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:16 am UTC

thalia wrote:
    thalia (Norway/Poland)
    Luge (Norway)
    Jesse (England!)
    gordo (Netherlands)
    SlyReaper (England)
    Rium (Central Europe [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Europe])
    AngrySquirrel (Norway/der ingen skulle tru at nokon kunne bu)
    J+ (Netherlands)
    Zarq (Belgium, the Dutch-speaking part)
    Diemo (Ireland)
    Coin (Uppsala, Sweden)
    boXd (Netherlands)

thalia wrote:July: thalia, jplus, boXd
August: thalia, SlyReaper, Zarq, jplus(?), boXd
September: Rium, Zarq
October: Rium
Whenever: AngrySquirrel, Jesse, Diemo, gordo, thalia, Rium, jplus

So it seems that we have five people in total from Central Europe/Netherlandsy area. No, those aren't the same, I know.

It just seems it would be more convenient to meet up either in these areas, namely perhaps Dutchland, or in England (for convenience sake, since they have super cheap airlines like EasyJet flying their way). Feel free to weigh in at this point, nothing's planned yet.
One of these days.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:59 am UTC

Of course I prefer the Netherlands, that's nice and easy for me. :)
But I don't mind England either, especially if we agree on a date at least four months in advance. That way, the tickets stay truly cheap.

If it's in the Netherlands I can host the meeting too. About three people fit on the floor in my room and another ~eight could sleep in the kitchen. I share the house with eight other people so the meeting could only take place in the weekend.

As for IRC, I'll just be there as much as I can. It might be nice to know that there are standalone IRC clients which you can run in the background while you do other things, e.g. Colloquy for mac and iOS.

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

gordo

Postby gordo » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:33 pm UTC

Rium wrote:I just had a look, but there wasn’t anyone in #xkcdeuro. Perhaps a good thing to do would be to state in this thread that you’re going to be online at a certain date. As far as I’m concerned, I’ll try to be there Tuesday evening (7pm-ish, UTC+01:00) and possibly also Monday at the same time. :)

Indeed it is a bit quiet. I'll stay logged in for the evening, but being on a laptop I can't "keep" the channel. If I remember correctly, it is possible to claim channels, but I forgot how. But probably won't be an issue to leave the channel unguarded ;-)

Anyway, I will try to log on in the UTC+1 evenings.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:39 pm UTC

Okay, I have found out how to log in using mibbit. I will try to be online in the evening time (GMT)(UTC)
--Douglas Adams

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:18 pm UTC

To avoid certain problems I went ahead and registered the channel, if there are any issues, let me know.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Pjotr

Postby Pjotr » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:12 pm UTC

Hey folks, another dutchie here (and no, not this kind), brought here from the Dear SB board (thanks, boXd!).

Meeting some of you fine folk would be cool. I don't see traveling abroad as a realistic option in the near future though.

But anyway, Hi! o/
Every finger is touching and searching / Until your secrets come out,
In the dance, as it endlessly circles / I linger close to your mouth.
--
This sentence is as succinct as possible.

thalia

Postby thalia » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:44 am UTC

Hey guys ><.

So this is pretty sad, but I've run into some unforeseen financial difficulties and I have to put everything on hold for now. I'm sad to say I can't commit to this or any other holiday plans at the moment. :( I'm really sorry about this, I hope the rest of you continue to plan and I'll for sure keep an eye on this topic and on the IRC.

I'll let you know when/if I win the lottery.
One of these days.

Rium

Postby Rium » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:59 pm UTC

Aw. :( I hope you can find a way to deal with your financial problems.

Are we still doing this? I hope so.

boXd

Postby boXd » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:29 pm UTC

Presuming nothing too serious happens (which you'll probs know soon enough - surgery tomorrow) and my financial situation stays relatively stable, I'm still in.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:11 pm UTC

I'm also still in. Haven't shown my nick on IRC for the past several days but I'll be back soon.

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Vieneoume

Postby Vieneoume » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:24 pm UTC

All above told the truth.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:32 pm UTC

Let me add my condolences thalia. Hope everything works out for you.

I'm still in as well.
--Douglas Adams

gordo

Postby gordo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:55 pm UTC

I'm still in...!

Rium

Postby Rium » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:02 am UTC

Okay, looks like the Netherlands is the best option, but when? July or August, or even later?

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:45 am UTC

I will actually be in Amsterdam for a conference in May. So, May? :)

But, if any of ye are in Amsterdam, we should go for a pint in May
--Douglas Adams

boXd

Postby boXd » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:59 am UTC

Well, if it's going to be in the Netherlands, datetime doesn't matter much to me, as I can go with public transport virtually any day. Almost everything from May to the end of the world is fine with me. :D

Drowsy Turtle

Postby Drowsy Turtle » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:20 pm UTC

I'm severely financially limited (literally down to loose change right now), but if you meet in sort of the northern half of England, it'll be within my reach...
Any offensive material posted is a consequence of societal pressure, the New World Order, the Mayans and David Bellamy. No responsibility will be taken for offense caused.
So suck it.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:58 pm UTC

boXd wrote:Well, if it's going to be in the Netherlands, datetime doesn't matter much to me, as I can go with public transport virtually any day. Almost everything from May to the end of the world is fine with me. :D

Same here.

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Return to “XKCD Meetups”