[EUR] Continental Europe!

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Re: Europe..?

Postby Zamfir » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:55 pm UTC

Perhaps we should try to pencil in some details? In particular for people from farther away: when do you expect to arrive and leave? Do we want some kind of day-time activity?

Essah

Postby Essah » Sun May 12, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

I'm planning a interrail trip, starting a few days before and Holland will be my first destination. Highly anticipate being there, so put me on the list. I just need to make one last confirmation with my Exam dates before I'll be set in stone.
Plan so far is to arrive in Utrecht (by train obviously) on the 28th and stay there for the night so I'll be ready to meet up the 29th.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Sun May 12, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

My plan is to go from Brussels. I will be in Brussels on the 26th, and go up to Holland on the 29th or so by train, and then on to Berlin on the 30th or the 1st (probably the first).
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Essah

Postby Essah » Mon May 13, 2013 6:56 am UTC

Diemo check pm :)

Just found out, My exams will in fact be done in time so anticipate seeing ya'll there. Already looking forward to this.

Marvin

Postby Marvin » Mon May 20, 2013 12:51 pm UTC

I'm from europe as well, croatia.

Seems that i'll pass this meeting since i don't have a passport and croatia should join EU, oh the irony, two days later :mrgreen:
--
If God intended us to program we would be born with serial I/O ports.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

The meeting is less than two weeks from now! Time to check whether the list over here is still correct.

Could the following people please confirm whether you're still planning to come?
    SlyReaper (!)
    gordo
    boXd
    Pjotr
    Negrebskoh

Have the following people made your decisions yet?
    Rium
    PinkShinyRose
    Naurgul
    sirensinging

Those who are planning to come: please send me a PM with your email address. Also, I recommend that those who like that kind of thing lurk the IRC channel: #xkcdeuro at foonetic.net.
Last edited by Jplus on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:11 pm UTC, edited 5 times in total.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

Ah sorry, I'm going to have to flake out. Sorry to leave it so late; I forgot that I hadn't actually replied to your PM, J.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

It's OK. I mean, it's a shame that you're not coming, but I'm glad that you reacted in the end so I know what you chose to do. :P
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Rium

Postby Rium » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

Sorry for being so silent lately; I’m not coming, unfortunately.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

I just sent an informative email to Diemo, Zamfir and PinkShinyRose. If you're planning to come and you're not in that list: congratulations, you're now officially late. :) Send me a PM with your email address as soon as possible and I'll let you know where you have to be and stuff like that.

Rium wrote:Sorry for being so silent lately; I’m not coming, unfortunately.

Better luck next time!

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Essah

Postby Essah » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

Jplus wrote:I just sent an informative email to Diemo, Zamfir and PinkShinyRose. If you're planning to come and you're not in that list: congratulations, you're now officially late. :) Send me a PM with your email address as soon as possible and I'll let you know where you have to be and stuff like that.

Better luck next time!

I thought you were gonna send one for me in case, like you said. It looks like I might me making it. Got real lucky with a late offer for accomodation. You already got my Email

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:49 am UTC

Do you need accommodation? I think you can sleep at Julian's place, if that's full I got a bed left.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:54 am UTC

Essah wrote:
Jplus wrote:I just sent an informative email to Diemo, Zamfir and PinkShinyRose. If you're planning to come and you're not in that list: congratulations, you're now officially late. :) Send me a PM with your email address as soon as possible and I'll let you know where you have to be and stuff like that.

Better luck next time!

I thought you were gonna send one for me in case, like you said. It looks like I might me making it. Got real lucky with a late offer for accomodation. You already got my Email

Sorry, going to send it to you now! And as Zamfir said, you can stay at my place.

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Essah

Postby Essah » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

Email replied to, See you there people!

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:29 pm UTC

And the fun has begun! Looking forward to the morrow
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

My part of the meeting is over now, I dropped Diemo and Essah on the train to Amsterdam and just arrived home again. It's been great fun and I would do it again. :)

Also I'm looking forward to the pictures. If I'm right PinkShinyRose has a good one of the five of us (PinkShinyRose, Zamfir, Diemo, Essah and me) standing in front of a canal in Utrecht.

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:09 am UTC

Jplus wrote:My part of the meeting is over now, I dropped Diemo and Essah on the train to Amsterdam and just arrived home again. It's been great fun and I would do it again. :)

Also I'm looking forward to the pictures. If I'm right PinkShinyRose has a good one of the five of us (PinkShinyRose, Zamfir, Diemo, Essah and me) standing in front of a canal in Utrecht.

Yes, it was a lot of fun. Oh, and I'm not great with the photo sites (mostly, I have no idea which one to use), but I did send the photos to the others. We should do it again sometime, should we start looking for interested people now?

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:20 am UTC

I presume all the people who didn't make it to this meeting would be very much interested for a new attempt...

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

A+ meeting; would meet again

thalia

Postby thalia » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

Yes. When you plan a new meeting, there are -definitely- more people who are interested. I might be able to convince a friend to come along as well...

(now all I need is a job <<)
One of these days.

Essah

Postby Essah » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

Twas Great. you know you're among Great people when topics range from comics to relativity and quantom mechanics

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

Yeah, I would like to report in as another person who had a great time. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to make another meetup until next year, but the chance is always there so let me know.

I never got any pictures others took of the day (I took a few of Utrecht as well if anyone wants them, and I have one of pinkshinyrose standing by the bells in the Dom tower). Will send them on to ye on Dropbox on Monday hopefully (if I get around to it basically :P)
--Douglas Adams

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:49 pm UTC

It seems no-one got them, I'm going to try to resend them to everyone.

Essah

Re: [EUR] Continental Europe June/July 2014

Postby Essah » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:32 am UTC

Soo June/July Summer meetup anyone? Was good fun last year.
Drop a reply if you're interested and note your requirements/preferences on location.

I'm good for practically anywhere in Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg or France since I'll be out and about for adventure sometime June/July anyway.

Jplus

Re: [EUR] Continental Europe!

Postby Jplus » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:55 am UTC

I'm very much interested!

My circumstances in the summer are still completely unkown. I might or might not have a sufficient budget to travel abroad. If there's enough money I like travelling to another country, but just in case I won't I'll say I prefer a meeting in the Netherlands.

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:54 pm UTC

Count me as interested. I am on holiday from half July to early august. So unless anyone else is interested in a Thailand meetup, I would prefer a date before that :)

I would vote for a different location, but obviously the Netherlands are fine for me.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:24 am UTC

Id love to but have no money to travel. I people are willing to travel to Ireland I can host though.
--Douglas Adams

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:02 pm UTC

I'd be up for a meetup in NL! The meets in London were always great fun. Please do send me a PM should a date be set.
This too shall pass

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:12 am UTC

Just to remind everyone, there's still #xkcdeuro at irc.foonetic.net.

Please don't leave me alone...

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:42 am UTC

I'll be more active on irc. good call
This too shall pass

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:30 am UTC

Just in case this thread will be used to plan a new European XKCD meetup I wish to make known that I live in the Netherlands.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Sustainabilizer

OTTer Meetup in Europe, Feb/Mar 2015

Postby Sustainabilizer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:55 pm UTC

Hello,

I am organising a scientific conference – including an xkcd meetup – about the OTT, i.e. the particular “Individual XKCD Comic Thread” which is devoted to xkcd 1190: Time.

Place: Hochschule Bochum, Germany
Time: February or March 2015, most probably between 19 and 24 12 and 13 February 2015.

While most of the participants will be “OTTers”, everyone is welcome. In particular, if you feel like holding a scientific speech about the OTT, be welcome to register as a speaker. :)

For details, see the announcement in the OTT and the invitation.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Image Help addams!

Essah

Postby Essah » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:53 pm UTC

Essah's yearly thread necro.

So yeah, I'm hoping to do some travelling in June-July and I'm if there's some people interested in a meetup. Potentially some that didn't participate in the previous as I don't think I will be coming around Netherland this time around (Sorry chaps)

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:45 pm UTC

I am interested, even if it is far away from the Netherlands. No promises yet. I will be a father by then, so I do not know how easy it will be to get away.

Hasse, did you already have a plan where you might go?

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:30 pm UTC

I would also be interested. And I dont mind it not being in the Netherlands
--Douglas Adams

Essah

Postby Essah » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:46 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:I am interested, even if it is far away from the Netherlands. No promises yet. I will be a father by then, so I do not know how easy it will be to get away.

Hasse, did you already have a plan where you might go?

I have a list of Cities I'd like to go to, but I have no idea how many I'll be able to do, if any. Won't know till much later.
The cities I'm thinking are:

Leipzig
Prague
Vienna
Budapest
Split
Zagreb
Dubrovnik

But if someone says "Hey I'm planning to go to, this and this city, I'd be happy to consider going there to meet up, I'm quite open cos I usually have a good time no matter if it's not a place I had initially planned.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:26 pm UTC

Like Zamfir I'm not promising anything (though for other reasons), but I'm definitely following this with interest.

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Eternal Density

Re: OTTer Meetup in Europe, Feb/Mar 2015

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:43 am UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:Hello,

I am organising a scientific conference – including an xkcd meetup – about the OTT, i.e. the particular “Individual XKCD Comic Thread” which is devoted to xkcd 1190: Time.

Place: Hochschule Bochum, Germany
Time: February or March 2015, most probably between 19 and 24 12 and 13 February 2015.

While most of the participants will be “OTTers”, everyone is welcome. In particular, if you feel like holding a scientific speech about the OTT, be welcome to register as a speaker. :)

For details, see the announcement in the OTT and the invitation.

For anyone who cares, 'OTTerCon' did indeed occur, and many folks from the xkcd:Time thread did meet up for a couple days of 'interdisciplinary science', and some also got together for a trip to Köln the next day (Feb 14), which happened to be Carnival, so our hats fit right in!
Thanks Sustainibiliser for organising this meetup!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:39 am UTC

I'd be interested in a European meet, although it depends on date, location and finances.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Essah

Postby Essah » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:05 pm UTC

So somewhat important update from what I wrote previously. I'm now living in Prague, permanently, which means that I don't know if I'll have the vacation to do the trip I was planning, BUT hey, I'm in Prague and it's awesome, so if anybody wanna pay a visit let me know!

Return to “XKCD Meetups”