[US] Cambervillains (Boston Area)

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: Cambervillain Indecipherable Meetup Thread (Boston Area)

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:07 pm UTC

Are people interested in picnicking who haven't said so yet? Because four people (me, rath, EGE, and Meaux) seems like maybe a bit skimpy for a picnic. (If it is only a few of us, perhaps hanging out in an air conditioned establishment over coffee or something might be better?)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:39 pm UTC

I slept until 1 and it's hot as fuck-all isn't it.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

It is indeed.

I mean, I was kind of thinking of an evening picnic anyway, on account of said heat.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

I also slept way late, and theoretically have a bachelor's party to go to sometime this evening, but I'd be down for lunch at Panera in Porter or something. Keep in mind that Davis's station is closed due to someone getting hit on the tracks.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

Actually it's opened again now, according to the Somerville Police twitter.

I suppose we should see what rath358 says, since happenings today are primarily due to her being around.
---

(he/him/his)

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

Oh good. That was resolved really quickly.

Edit: it is now approaching 4:00, Belial and I should probably skip anything that happens at this point and head to our party. Sorry, would have liked to meet y'all.

rath358
Best Dressed 2017

Postby rath358 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

The last bus to Lexington (where I am staying) left at 6:30. There are no buses tomorrow.
Ah well.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

Huh. I missed all the picnic talk. Ah well.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

We should re-initiate. But ideally with a concrete plan including precise time/date/location that is not for a day that is over ninety degrees.

Also: this is probably just me, but I dislike picnicking "on the Esplanade." Because the Esplanade is practically the size of Tokyo, and it seems like we end up as far away from mass transit on it as possible, and nowhere near any easily identifiable landmarks. :P

I would so much rather do a thing like "meet at Cambridge Common by the playground," or "meet at Boston Common by the gazebo," (or by the frog pond).</whiny Sandries>

How would folks feel about Sunday, 7/28 at 4 PM on Boston Common and folks who want to hang around until 7 PM can stay and see Two Gentlemen of Verona? (Of course I cannot predict the weather that far out, but maybe we'll get lucky, and at least later in the day it's unlikely to be quite as brutal?)
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:30 pm UTC

Sandry wrote:How would folks feel about Sunday, 7/28 at 4 PM on Boston Common and folks who want to hang around until 7 PM can stay and see Two Gentlemen of Verona?

This works for me. Where on the Common? The gazebo like you mentioned before, or near the fountain (closer to Park Street for your whininess)?

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

I admit to gazebo inclination because a) I know where it is and it's point-out-able on a map, and b) it's a gazebo. How can you turn it down as a meeting point?
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:28 am UTC

Sandry wrote:How would folks feel about Sunday, 7/28 at 4 PM on Boston Common and folks who want to hang around until 7 PM can stay and see Two Gentlemen of Verona? (Of course I cannot predict the weather that far out, but maybe we'll get lucky, and at least later in the day it's unlikely to be quite as brutal?)

I'd be up for that at some point! I definitely want to spear!
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:20 pm UTC

Since this now less than a week away, I'm bumping and asking if it'll just be Sprox, sparky and I. I mean, we could just say "only people with handles that start with an S" can come, but that's probably ridiculous. Probably. Right? :P

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

Sandry wrote:Since this now less than a week away, I'm bumping and asking if it'll just be Sprox, sparky and I. I mean, we could just say "only people with handles that start with an S" can come, but that's probably ridiculous. Probably. Right? :P
Just to make sure I've properly parsed the preceeding planning posts: The topic of discussion is a picnic in the Common (meeting near the Gazebo) at 4PM on 7/28, yes?

Assuming so, I might be able to make it. I realize this ruins the "only people with handles that start with an S" rule, but perhaps we could replace it with "only people who created their forum accounts in 2007". (Or would that ridiculous too?)

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:41 pm UTC

Sandry wrote:Since this now less than a week away, I'm bumping and asking if it'll just be Sprox, sparky and I. I mean, we could just say "only people with handles that start with an S" can come, but that's probably ridiculous. Probably. Right? :P

I'm still up for it, but I might just come for the picnic/meetup part and skip the Shakespeare after because there's a high chance I'll have already seen it (tomorrow).

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

I think I can make it, and I also fit the 2007 rule!
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

Hahaha, great. Well, I will look forward to seeing/meeting you, and anyone else who feels like joining. :)

And yes, Missing Dividends, that is precisely the planning I proposed.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

I may or may not arrive based on whether I'm going to be at work. Which is likely.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:15 am UTC

So what's the plan? I don't know if I plan on revealing my (real) face to the world yet, but I feel like knowing the option.

My avatar face can be found comfortably resting in the Egyptian Art wing of the MFA, however.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:17 am UTC

I knew I saw that somewhere.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:22 am UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:I knew I saw that somewhere.

Yep, Djehutynakht the governor... or his wife. No idea which.

He owns an impressive collection of model boats. And a decent sarcophagus.

And now he rests comfortably in a little glass case. I visit from time to time.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

Not a ton of plan. I will bring hummus, pita, something to drink, a towel, maybe some fruit or olives. Other people will hopefully do similar things. </plan>

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

I give up. I've been hanging out alone for about 45 minutes and I have something else I need to do tonight. I don't know if the issue is timing or a bad pick for location or if I am just not patient enough.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

Sorry Sandry, I was thinking of going but I had a bunch of other stuff to take care of today and I was worried it would rain. I should have posted to say that, though.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

Yeah, I was having a bit of a similar concern re: rain, anyhow.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:18 pm UTC

I think I'm just out of it.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

Just a question for all you Bostonians; brokers fees.

I've never seen them anywhere but here, but the gyst seems to be 'if someone represents the apartment you're about to rent, and they 'show' you the apartment, by which I mean, show up and open it so you can walk through, you have to pay them a half's months rent'. That's... ludicrous to me, especially because both times we've been hit with this fee, we found the apartment on craigslist.

I know there are fee-less apartments, but I'm wondering if people have done anything clever to get out of paying this fee.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:57 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:you have to pay them a half's months rent
Or, if you're even luckier, a whole month's rent.

Izawwlgood wrote:I know there are fee-less apartments, but I'm wondering if people have done anything clever to get out of paying this fee.
If they include the exact location (or pictures of the exterior and the rough location) in the CL post, you can use Google Street View to check it out. Some buildings (e.g. mine) have a sign/plaque thing with the name of the management company. Especially for half-fee apartments (where your landlord is going to have to pay the broker a half a month of rent too), the management company might be willing to just work with you directly.

If you're particularly lazy and don't mind the moral grey area, you can get the broker to do the work for you. If you pretend to be interested in scheduling a time to meet them for a showing, they'll probably give you the exact address. If you actually schedule something and come up with an excuse for wanting it (e.g. you've been burned by bad brokers before and you just want to verify that the info they included in the listing matches what's on the paperwork), they may just email you an electric copy of the lease, which would have all the relevant contact info for the actual landlord. Until you actually show up and sign something, it'd be hard for them to force you to pay a fee.

Alternatively, if you find a place through word-of-mouth (either directly from the current tenant or from someone else in the building), you might be able to skip the middle-man. This is even better if you're looking for someting out-of-cycle; I've heard of landlords waiving/reducing penalties for breaking the lease of the current tenant handles finding their replacement.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

We're meeting with the property manager (not the broker) tomorrow to sign the lease, and are requesting some stuff on paper. Since the broker set up the meeting with the manager, I doubt we can broach the topic of not paying the brokers fee, but it's something that's always driven me crazy out here.

At our first apartment out here, my girlfriend found it on CL and called the owner to arrange a viewing. The owner sent over a friend (as in, the woman literally said "I'm a friend of the owner, we've known one another forever!") who opened the apartment for us, knew nothing about the place (weather proofing status of the windows, where the washer/drier was, if it was certified lead free, etc), and seemed like it was her first time even inside. At the end of walking around, she goes "So you'll have to pay me half months rent as brokers fee" and we were to stunned to argue.

At least this time the dude knew about the property, but his involvement representing us as renters was 'answering the phone when we called to see the place'.

Since our current land lord is so absentee (not bad, just absentee), we want to get some stuff in writing this time. Also, making it known now, this place is huge and I'll be having a move in party late Oct, everyone's invited.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Puppyclaws

Postby Puppyclaws » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

I remember when I first moved here, I was shocked by the very notion of a broker's fee. Unfortunately, many management companies will not work directly with you. I paid a fee once in my time renting in Boston, but it was "only" a half month's rent; the other place I lived that was a rental and I was on the lease, I worked directly with owners of a condo and sublet, thus avoiding it. That's really the only advice I can offer; don't rent from big companies, go direct through owners. But that is quite tough. I know some places say that the fee is "negotiable," but I have pretty strong reservations about trusting that.

I hate the Boston housing market; I'm not sure if that's the biggest reason, but it's certainly high up the list.

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:37 pm UTC

I think there are some places where it works backwards and the management company / landlord ends up paying the broker's fee. At least I think that's what happened with my last apartment. That makes a lot more sense to me as that's how it works when you buy a house. The commission for both the buyer and seller's agent is paid by the seller (and split between the two).

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

Anyone do any urban exploration? I'm particularly interested in abandoned buildings, with an emphasis on factories.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:11 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Anyone do any urban exploration? I'm particularly interested in abandoned buildings, with an emphasis on factories.

I am also interested, with an emphasis on literally anything.

Factories are somewhat special however due to a certain cartoon I watched.

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:41 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Anyone do any urban exploration? I'm particularly interested in abandoned buildings, with an emphasis on factories.

I also find that interesting. The only such exploring I've done around here was some construction sites near where I live, but it was a close call because it turns out they had more security than I realized.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

sparkyb wrote:

I also find that interesting. The only such exploring I've done around here was some construction sites near where I live, but it was a close call because it turns out they had more security than I realized.
Yeah, construction sites often have security preventing theft of materials (copper piping, etc) or equipment. Abandoned structures are typically much easier and safer, but you do run the risk of transients or the like, which is why I don't suggest doing it solo.

My friend is waiting on his camera, so there's no rush, but it'd be fun to find some places out here.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:06 am UTC

Let me know.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:36 am UTC

The Northshore mall used to be an outdoors strip mall kind of thing, but is now your normal temperature-controlled yuppie playpen. In the basement there's a door that is, ahem, not open. I'm told there's an old swimming pool behind it, and I plan to make it be open sometime in the near future. There's also an abandoned department store on the same level. I work here, if I find my way into these places I'll take pictures and post them.

Becani

Postby Becani » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

I live close enough that things could be possible but just far away enough for it to be a hassle. (Southern NH. Nashua.)

I should pay more attention to this thread. It'd be nice to meet people. I'm shit broke though, so I can't really do anything that requires money. >.>
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says "I'll try again tomorrow.”

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

Becani wrote:I live close enough that things could be possible but just far away enough for it to be a hassle. (Southern NH. Nashua.)
I have the same problem, opposite direction.

I checked out a few abandoned buildings when I was a teenager. I haven't given it much thought since I stopped being a minor. Now, the people who give me my security clearance would frown on me getting arrested, so I give it even less thought.

Almost 20 years ago, my friends Chuck and Shawn showed me a four-story building that was kind of like a college dorm, though there was no college around. Each floor had rows of bedrooms, with bathrooms at the ends of the hall. The bedrooms had built in closets, so it was a little too nice to be a flop house.

We decided that I would take our friends Kerry and Eric through the place, while Chuck and Shawn hid and tried to scare them. They had a few things to make noises with, like Christmas light bulbs to throw on the ground. I remember walking backwards like a tour guide, talking to Kerry and Eric, trying to keep a straight face watching Chuck and Shawn run in and out of rooms like a Scooby Doo cartoon so they could keep up with us without Kerry and Eric seeing them.

Eventually, Kerry and Eric decided to check out the noises they were hearing, and entered the room where Shawn was currently hiding in the closet. Kerry and Eric slide open the closet door and we see Shawn's hand. I think the joke's over. Kerry and Eric think they found a dead body. I think it was Kerry I caught up to inside the house; Eric was already back at the car. I told them about the prank, and they thought it was pretty funny.

I still find the idea of exloring abandoned buildings interesting and would like to see photos/videos if anyone takes them.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

There's a great abandoned nunnery that's extremely easy to get into on the Portsmouth/Middletown line, Isaac Hill, that I explored a few years back with some friends when I still lived on the Island. It's off of West Main just south of West Main pizza, if you were interested in driving up to it to check it out. I can probably get in touch with an old friend to grab and post some of the pictures we took there - we had a few shots of pleasantly creepy dust orbs that entertain most people.

Return to “XKCD Meetups”