Could it be a trap?

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

UltraNurd

Could it be a trap?

Postby UltraNurd » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:36 pm UTC

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I wonder if anyone has considered the possibility that the raptors somehow hid this message in the relevant comic panel, hoping to lure the most vigilant of us to a single location so that we might be dispatched with a minimum of effort.

warhorse

Postby warhorse » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:49 pm UTC

It's ok. I modified the lawn sprinklers to spray grape juice.

Know any good raptor recipies?
It's OK to be social, just don't tell anyone about it.

warhorse

Postby warhorse » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:40 am UTC

You know, when I read the Dream Girl comic, I always find the last panel to be depressing. I feel like, despite all of the hype, I'll travel all the way to Boston, wait at the spot, and discover that I've been punk'd and then it'll start raining and a bus will drive by and splash me.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:12 am UTC

warhorse wrote:You know, when I read the Dream Girl comic, I always find the last panel to be depressing. I feel like, despite all of the hype, I'll travel all the way to Boston, wait at the spot, and discover that I've been punk'd and then it'll start raining and a bus will drive by and splash me.

I'll be there.

If all else fails, Spike's hot dogs and Guitar Hero? (You probably haven't heard of Spike's. It's awesome.)
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

warhorse

Postby warhorse » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:16 am UTC

I'm being facetious of course. I'm 80% sure that XKCD is not just an elaborate ruse to get me to travel 500 miles just to be eaten by raptors!

warhorse

Postby warhorse » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:19 pm UTC

CreemyNougat wrote: Spike's hot dogs and Guitar Hero? (You probably haven't heard of Spike's. It's awesome.)

I'll have to keep Spike's in mind. I'm a big fan of good hot dogs. Back home, we have a place called Shorty's and there is a picture of the original Shorty with a dozen or so hot-dogs in buns lined up his arm (perpendicular to his arm, of course) where he would efficiently put toppings on all of them. Yum.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:06 pm UTC

the Nazi's are controlling Randall, holding his family hostage, and threatening to kill the woman he loves if he doesn't make geeks converge in Cambridge. Get the out of the safety of Hogw...er...MIT, and into the open where they can be rounded up. Those whom agree to help may live.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:14 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:the Nazi's are controlling Randall, holding his family hostage, and threatening to kill the woman he loves if he doesn't make geeks converge in Cambridge. Get the out of the safety of Hogw...er...MIT, and into the open where they can be rounded up. Those whom agree to help may live.
I'm sure the Nazis would have capitalized the "t" in "The" and wouldn't have had an apostrophe in "Nazis." Hoax!
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Davis Square Rocks

Postby Davis Square Rocks » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:47 pm UTC

They might even know how to spell Somerville :)

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:53 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
CatProximity wrote:the Nazi's are controlling Randall, holding his family hostage, and threatening to kill the woman he loves if he doesn't make geeks converge in Cambridge. Get the out of the safety of Hogw...er...MIT, and into the open where they can be rounded up. Those whom agree to help may live.
I'm sure the Nazis would have capitalized the "t" in "The" and wouldn't have had an apostrophe in "Nazis." Hoax!
woah yeah, where did that apsotrophe come from? But I wans't saying I was the Nazis.

Davis Square Rocks wrote:They might even know how to spell Somerville :)
I thought it was Cambridge. i'm pretty sure the end of Cameron Street is the edge of Somerville. It's in Cambridge.

Also, you're mean.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:02 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:I thought it was Cambridge. i'm pretty sure the end of Cameron Street is the edge of Somerville. It's in Cambridge.

Also, you're mean.
Have you looked at your location recently?
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:42 pm UTC

you're still mean.

UltraNurd

Postby UltraNurd » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:40 pm UTC

I'll be there, but I need to take certain precautions.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:28 pm UTC

Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:31 pm UTC

I'd go if I were in the area. But I'm not.

(and it's hard not to calculate the probability of me getting another speeding ticket trying to drive there...

I only drove about 220 miles (one way) last weekend on a quick trip to the beach, but managed to get pulled over for 96 in a 70. The road was so open! and empty! and calling my name! (and BORING!)

At 1969.42 miles, I would average 8.95 tickets (Probably $300+) each way. I can't afford it...)

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:38 pm UTC

Or you could maybe drive the speed limit.

Just sayin'.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:44 pm UTC

Yes, good point. But where's the sense of adventure?

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:45 pm UTC

You spend the $300 on a crack whore once you get here. The adventure is finding out what diseases you end up with.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:27 pm UTC

CreemyNougat wrote:You spend the $300 on a crack whore once you get here. The adventure is finding out what diseases you end up with.

Crackwhores aren't that expensive, are they? Also, I assume her $300 figure is per ticket, meaning an adventure with 8.95 crackwhores at $300 each! In other words, a very busy (and very deadly) night.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:31 pm UTC

But a decidedly good sense of adventure

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:39 pm UTC

Clerria wrote:I'd go if I were in the area. But I'm not.

(and it's hard not to calculate the probability of me getting another speeding ticket trying to drive there...

I only drove about 220 miles (one way) last weekend on a quick trip to the beach, but managed to get pulled over for 96 in a 70. The road was so open! and empty! and calling my name! (and BORING!)

At 1969.42 miles, I would average 8.95 tickets (Probably $300+) each way. I can't afford it...)

indeed but you could always ya know, road trip?

and have some other poor schmuck drive. The again just sitting there can get real boring. UNtil you cover the driver's eyes, in a rain storm, while being chased by the cops, who are in turn being chased by killer bees.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

Return to “XKCD Meetups”