[US] Burning Man

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Aluminus

[US] Burning Man

Postby Aluminus » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:34 am UTC

xkcd brings some interesting people together. So does Burning Man. I've never been myself, but from what I've heard and seen and read, it is something that must be experienced to fully appreciate.

http://www.burningman.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_Man

Must-see YouTube videos:
I highly recommend these two videos (about 30 minutes each) by Hedy1. The music fits the theme perfectly. Other YouTube videos by Mark Day are also very good.
Burning Man 2005<-- Watch this one
Burning Man 2006
Burning Man's Legendary Dust Devils
Running into a dust devil<-- Watch this one, too
Did you get that?

Here is a hilarious, if slightly cynical article about Burning Man and the interesting effect it has on San Fransisco health clinics on Labor Day weekend.
A sample of LED art projects featured at Burning Man
Have you built a project for Burning Man? Share it!
If you haven't been, what do you think about the whole thing?
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Re: Burning Man

Postby Mr. Beck » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:43 pm UTC

I was thinking that it would be cool to go to. My Uncle has participated a few times, and says he loved it. The only problem is that it might interfere with my school.

koneko

Postby koneko » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:49 pm UTC

There is school, my friend, and there is education at its finest.
ImageImage

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:40 am UTC

^Not to say it would not be "educational" (if I interpret correctly). But no, some family would think that taking a week of school to "go burn stuff with some hippies in the desert" would be a bad idea.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:13 am UTC

Isn't it like $350 to get in or something ridiculous? I can understand the overhead costs and whatnot, but it seems a bit... commercial.

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:34 am UTC

Tickets range from $210 to $295. But most of that money goes to supporting the event. A makeshift police force, medical center, radio station, BRAF, the LLC, coordinating with the locals, and all of the other things you need to do to make a 30,000+ person event work.

http://afterburn.burningman.com/06/financial_chart.html
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:49 pm UTC

I have some interest in it but a) it's not exactly local and b) most of the people there are only interesting in a 'circus freak' kind of way. I mean that the term "interesting people" is a nice way of putting "societal abnormalities".

Although I myself could be classified and am classified by many as a societal abnormality in many ways, I have not seen this maturate into an appreciation of all things weird. Indeed, I find that I am perhaps even more judgmental.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:52 pm UTC

I would very much love to go to Burning Man!
But I don't see it happening anytime soon for me. I just drool over the pictures I see from people there every year lol~ :3
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

xyzzy
Meta-Titled

Postby xyzzy » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:50 pm UTC

I've never been yet. I should be going to Burning Man or Nowhere in 2009 though. (Nowhere is the European regional burn, held in Spain).
"Wile E. Coyote was a theoretical mathematician." - Leliel
"Modern life can be so boring without elements of the bizarre or the fantastical. Hence, we have steampunk." - Me

cacp

Postby cacp » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:55 am UTC

It does rock. A couple tips: 1)fly into Reno rather than cross country drive, 2)bring a girl cause 1/4 of the stuff is couples based, and 3) don't accept any brownies on the day you have to drive back to town.
My jaw is sore from yawning.

Menagerie

Burning Man?

Postby Menagerie » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:23 pm UTC

Anyone else going?

Aluminus

Re: Burning Man?

Postby Aluminus » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:45 pm UTC

Here's another thread on Burning Man viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20704
A lot of people want to go, but not many are able (mostly due to the distance).

alnitak

Postby alnitak » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

Burning Man indeed!
I've been attending since... 2006. Before that I lived in a totalitarian state with no internet, so.
I'll give you a minute to think about that -.-

So yea, Burning man. Telescopes are a must, since the visibility is superb. The Mars/Moon eclipse last year was wondrous. Ever since, can't go out in the night w/o Lunar Lotion...
Next year I will be bringing this up, in case someone wants to Burn with me.
The moon has set, and the Pleiades; it is midnight, the time is going by and I recline alone.
-Sappho

alnitak

Postby alnitak » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:45 pm UTC

xyzzy wrote:I've never been yet. I should be going to Burning Man or Nowhere in 2009 though. (Nowhere is the European regional burn, held in Spain).

Let's do that!
I posted something about this in some other thread, so anyway: No matter what, we should take a telescope there. Must!

To me, specially during those chilly nights in the outer rings of the city, where the electro-beats and drums are left behind murmuring in the distance, it felt like being a vanguardist settler, dropped in some alien world where, disconnected from the mother-ship or the mother-Earth etc, things have gone a bit tribal while still keeping the LED-light artifacts and the taste for refined social interaction...Decadent yet luscious. How contradictory. Hm.. now I'm all misty :}
Then again, it shouldn't be brought down to naked hippies doing drugs and burning things... It's not.
Really really. ^_^

Bear with me while I improve my domain of this English deal... eventually I'll catch up and lose the irrelevant lyric flare :]
The moon has set, and the Pleiades; it is midnight, the time is going by and I recline alone.
-Sappho

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:55 am UTC

There are two kinds of Burners:
The first kind are the stereotypical hippies. They're there for the techno, the drugs, the lights and sounds and fire and light and sun. And maybe the sex.
The other kind are artists, engineers, and generally creative people with an unusual perspective and a good sense of humor. They are there for the experience. They want to depend on themselves, relying only on instincts and their senses. They want to create and display something that, quite honestly, would be out of place anywhere else. Burning Man is a huge pseudo-industrofunk-meta-sci-fi psychosocial experiment to them. (And breathtaking from the air)

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:18 am UTC

Things like Burning Man always make me feel cynical and raise my hackles. I don't know why. I think it seems to me like a lot of the people who go believe they're causing some sort of profound social change when really they're preaching to the converted in the VAST majority of cases.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

alnitak

Postby alnitak » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:40 am UTC

Marbas wrote:Things like Burning Man always make me feel cynical and raise my hackles. I don't know why. I think it seems to me like a lot of the people who go believe they're causing some sort of profound social change when really they're preaching to the converted in the VAST majority of cases.

...I don't think people go to cause social change, really. Mostly it's a personal experience, you may learn something from it, maybe not at all.
It is just so different that is worth considering.
I have hardly met a preachy person there, and found out soon enough that all attempt to describe what the place is to an outsider is pointless. I might forget at times but get snapped back to that realization as soon as I get tagged as preachy :mrgreen:

But if you like weird machinery, light beams and are a bit into performance art you would find it's a great place to get a lot of that. I have seen impressive steam-punk dragons out there. Quite dreamy.
[[Sorry, had to say it ]] :roll:
-Sappho

gibberishtwist

Postby gibberishtwist » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:18 pm UTC

mosc wrote:I have some interest in it but a) it's not exactly local and b) most of the people there are only interesting in a 'circus freak' kind of way. I mean that the term "interesting people" is a nice way of putting "societal abnormalities".

Although I myself could be classified and am classified by many as a societal abnormality in many ways, I have not seen this maturate into an appreciation of all things weird. Indeed, I find that I am perhaps even more judgmental.

That's a fairly cynical way to look at it. Sure, there are some "circus" variety people there, but the majority of people I met were anyone you could meet in the outside world. The only difference is that at the Burn, they're in a situation where their individuality is a boon to them, and completely encouraged. Would I like to go to all-day raves and eat vodka sno-cones while watching chicks with furry boots hula hoop on a normal basis? Of course I would. I also like to drink and burn things. Minus the drinking, none of this happens in my everyday life; What I'm trying to say is Burning Man is an outlet. An absurd outlet. You meet all types there. For instance, the first friend I made there was a guy in his late 50's who made lovely necklaces and handed them out to everyone who walked by his camp, and at night he rode around on the playa on a neon-lit Pegasusmobile spreading goodwill. In every respect other than his transportation, he was a "normal," and very enjoyable guy. He also looked like Santa.

Anyway. I'm trying to go this year despite some financial aggravation. Anyone else going?
"We have reached the limits of what rectal probing can teach us."Image

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:59 pm UTC

gibberishtwist wrote: An absurd outlet.
I originally read this as "absurd omelet".

alnitak

Postby alnitak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:17 am UTC

I also went last year to the New York Decompression... Didn't enjoy it too much, personal reasons I guess, but also because the interactions -imo- lose some of the naïveté that instinctively raises in the desert, maybe the lack of references in such a foreign environment make people more open, less cynic. Who knows.

Other than that, if any of you really wants to go, I would say a good way to keep updated is to join the regional group's mailing list.
http://regionals.burningman.com/

... and by subscribing to their mailing list they keep you updated on Easter eggs like open bars and the Container, which you will find useful if you want to travel light and still have some unnecessary goodies out there. The Container is um, a big container they* provide for people to fill with bigger stuff you wouldn't want to fly with: bikes, rugs, etc. Also, if you want to volunteer during the festival, that's the way to sign up: the regionals sites.
Volunteering is not as sucky as it sounds. You get to be a lamp-lighter, a greeter, a Black Rock City ranger... As a temple guardian, they even give you a staff!!
Or you can opt for less fun stuff, like sorting the ruins of the city after everybody leaves (since the city is brought down completely once the event is over) and taking care of donating / recycling those mats... etc.
The whole thing depends a lot on the volunteers, since the event doesn't support monetary transactions other than the actual ticket purchase and... um, electrolyte-charged juices you can buy there.
~_~

* the LLC people, they organize the city from scratch each year.
http://www.burningman.com/whatisburningman/people/project_bio.html
-Sappho

gibberishtwist

Postby gibberishtwist » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:10 am UTC

alnitak wrote:get to be a lamp-lighter, a greeter, a Black Rock City ranger... As a temple guardian, they even give you a staff!!
Or you can opt for less fun stuff, like sorting the ruins of the city after everybody leaves (since the city is brought down completely once the event is over) and taking care of donating / recycling those mats... etc.

I got to be a lamplighter, and got a pretty necklace as a reward! Lamplighting was surprisingly fun, even though I wasn't carrying anything; I just gave my friend drinks of water whenever he asked and basked in the glory of random people yelling "THANK YOU LAMP LIGHTERS" at us. Being DPW isn't so bad either. I've never done it but uh...On the way out, most people leave behind their liquor/drugs/fun things for the DPW to play around with as they clean up the playa. And they all seem like pretty cool people, handing out glowsticks to first-timers and lighting shit on fire with a passion.

bofthem

Postby bofthem » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:33 am UTC

Will be there. Won't see you there. But if you'd like to keep on the lookout, I'll be one of the many chaps tooled out in swat belts, otherwise naked save a helmet, american flag, goggles and a smile. I also have rainbow hair.

if you do find me, i will give you great love.
Visit my site here.
Follow me on twitter here.
I like you.

Sprocket
Seymour

HAVE YOU SEEN THIS GEEK?

Postby Sprocket » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:11 pm UTC

MISSING
dork.jpg
dork.jpg (13.08 KiB) Viewed 20962 times
Last seen Saturday, August 23, Somerville MA. Last heard from Monday, August 25, allegedly on his way to Nevada by prop plane.
If you have any leads, please contact Fontia@gmail.com
REWARD
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

mosc wrote:I have some interest in it but a) it's not exactly local and b) most of the people there are only interesting in a 'circus freak' kind of way. I mean that the term "interesting people" is a nice way of putting "societal abnormalities".

One of the nicest random people I ever met at a club had her head shaved and her tongue split like a snake's. Just as a random comment here.

gibberishtwist

Postby gibberishtwist » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:30 am UTC

CogDissident wrote:One of the nicest random people I ever met at a club had her head shaved and her tongue split like a snake's. Just as a random comment here.

At BM, I met a guy who not only had his tongue split, but he could move both parts independently of the other. I never got a chance to make out with him, sadly.

So how was everyone's Burn? I had a fantastic time being a week-long alcoholic and running around with a hot New Zealander the whole week.

leveldeaded

Postby leveldeaded » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:38 pm UTC

I knew it existed. I knew it. No camp, yet, huh? I was just posting in the "what XKCD means" comic forum that it's enough like a support group for people with oddities that there ought to be a camp for us at burning man.

Or at least a ten minute awkward meet up late at night with the aforementioned telescope. I can't afford one yet, but would respectfully peer through yours.

Asmodieus

Postby Asmodieus » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:32 am UTC

gibberishtwist wrote:
CogDissident wrote:One of the nicest random people I ever met at a club had her head shaved and her tongue split like a snake's. Just as a random comment here.

At BM, I met a guy who not only had his tongue split, but he could move both parts independently of the other. I never got a chance to make out with him, sadly.

So how was everyone's Burn? I had a fantastic time being a week-long alcoholic and running around with a hot New Zealander the whole week.

Is it anything like that episode of Malcom in the Middle? Obviously there wasnt as much sex or drugs in the episode, but do people there really have that philosophy of just "whatever?"
Tillian wrote:Yeah, but the polar bears get more territorial during the summer, so we have to stay indoors.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:22 am UTC

May I just be the first to sa-THE BEES! OH GOD THE BEES ARE STINGING MY FACE! KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GODDAMN HONEY! ARGH! MY LEG! OH GOD NO, NOT THE BEES!
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

thread bump. anyone for 2013?
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

Wow this thread is ancient. (Well, less ancient than me...) so anyone else going this year?
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

Every time I read about Burning Man, someone is always saying it wasn't as good as it was last year.

The whole thing just strikes me as very uncomfortable.

Anyway, there are other threads.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=104405&p=3440159
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=25360&p=774008

jeroboambramblejam

Postby jeroboambramblejam » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

Always loked like an uber experience to me... I'll look unto it...

Seven
Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One

Re: [US] Burning Man

Postby Seven » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:01 pm UTC

Wish I could have gone to Burning Man (I was working), as I've never been. Perhaps next year??

But I do live in Reno, if anyone else in The Vicinity wants to meet up.

Dunning–Kruger wrote:"The miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others".

Return to “XKCD Meetups”