Melbourne meet-up?

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Re: Melbourne meet-up?

Postby dragon » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:21 pm UTC

The International Digital Entertainment Festival (iDEF '08) eGames expo will be happening on the 14th-16th, something that I hope to attend. Some stuff I definitely don't want to miss on the Saturday afternoon.

The anime club at La Trobe is holding a nerf war on the 29th which I'll be attending. Times haven't been sorted out for it yet, but I expect it will be held during the day, so I'd probably still be able to make a gathering if it was set in the evening.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:27 pm UTC

If you do go to iDEF, I'll be there, as swinburne has a stall for their games course. Look for the masses of red shirts.

However it looks like I might miss anything during the day on the 29th given that I'm helping set up the lan on that day, it turns out.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

ginnybee

Postby ginnybee » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:47 am UTC

If it's after the 15/16th I can't come, but I wish you all a brilliant time!

[EDIT] and of course I didn't read the last few posts. I might go to eGames but I also realised that I'm protesting on the 15th (yeah, we're really getting into it this month.) So I'm like, out.

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:06 am UTC

Might be in melbourne for the first week of december.

gnat

Postby gnat » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:48 am UTC

Hmm. Looks like the 29th/30th weekend is marginally more popular, so let's go with Sunday 30th of November. If anyone can think of some activities to do I'd really appreciate it. I didn't actually think that part through when making the suggestion. :/

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:59 am UTC

Or, y'know, we could all just go to egames. I mean, a decent amount of people are going anyway and I'm guaranteed to turn up (which is quite unusual).
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:59 am UTC

I can't make it to egames, but I am up for stuff on the 30th. I should have rock band by then as an option...
COMFORT, n.
A state of mind produced by contemplation of a neighbor's uneasiness.

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:47 pm UTC

/me licks meetup

When ever is good, really.
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:26 am UTC

I'm afraid I'm out of Melbourne for egames, but I'm very keen to meet up on the 30th!
"Consequentialism: The belief that doing the right thing makes the world a better place" Please visit felicifia.org, the forum for consequentialists, to meet some smart people with interesting ideas.

gnat

Postby gnat » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:04 am UTC

We could make egames into the meetup if lots of people want to go, but I'd probably sit it out.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:04 am UTC

I WOULD do eGames, but I'm in the middle of exams atm, and my Mum would prefer if I at least LOOKED like i was studying.

30th is good tho, I'll need someone to PM me details, because I WILL forget (Just like I forgot the Freeze at Flinders St Station... grmblmmmbl...)
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

vdong

Postby vdong » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:51 pm UTC

I'm not really sure the 30th will be good for me, my flight back is on the 3th and that is in sydney.
I will be ariving in melbourne this week, most likely traveling further after this weekend.

I can't be online alot so let me know as soon as possible if something is decided.

gnat

Postby gnat » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:30 am UTC

Ah, I was under the impression that you'd be leaving Melbourne on the 3rd. It's a bit late to change the meetup to this week I'm afraid, with such short notice. It's a shame we won't get to see you.

vdong

Postby vdong » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:48 am UTC

I will try to make that meet, I'll let you all know.....

gnat

Postby gnat » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:45 am UTC

That would be great :)

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:41 pm UTC

I plan to be at the Vintage Clothing Fair at 10:30 on Saturday, if anyone was interested in meeting up.
COMFORT, n.

rustedneurons

Postby rustedneurons » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:20 am UTC

So, who would be interested in the 30th? Let's get a list going, with activites and a meeting place.

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:54 am UTC

Let's...
"Consequentialism: The belief that doing the right thing makes the world a better place" Please visit felicifia.org, the forum for consequentialists, to meet some smart people with interesting ideas.

dragon

Postby dragon » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:35 am UTC

I'll attend, along with partner hopefully.

Potential activities:
Lunch at a not-too-expensive restaurant.
Visit ice cream or coffee/hot chocolate shop, for warm or cold weather.
... I thought of people chess on a chalked-out chessboard, but I don't think there's likely to be the numbers required for that to work.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:47 am UTC

Minigolf (probably not a city activity)
Picnic (we could actually plan to do one this time

I am fairly flexible and probably available.
COMFORT, n.

gnat

Postby gnat » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:37 am UTC

Minigolf would be great, but probably hard to get to using public transport. A picnic, however, would be great.

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:41 pm UTC

I'm all for a picnic or a dinner out or both.

I note that the weather forecast isn't all that flash for Sunday.
The bureau of meteorology says: Forecast for Sunday, City
Cloudy. Isolated showers, clearing around dawn, then isolated showers in the early afternoon. Winds west to southwesterly averaging 10 to 20 km/h becoming light later in the evening.
Cloudy. Min 13. Max 21

Let's meet in the afternoon to try to salvage some kind of warmth. Say 1.30? At a city train-station? If anyone's on IRC, you could solidify plans there?

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:13 pm UTC

I think I mentioned it already, but I'm unavailable on the 30th :( have fun anyway.

Website

rustedneurons

Postby rustedneurons » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

So far, it looks like we'll be meeting at 1:30pm at the IGA across from Southern Cross station, with a picnic in an undecided location.

If it ends up being miserable weather, dragon's idea of hot chocolate sounds good.

Coming:
dragon + partner
bruce
gnat + partner
theduffman + a friend
rustedneurons + a friend
Last edited by rustedneurons on Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:17 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

gnat

Postby gnat » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:52 am UTC

I should mention I'll be bringing a partner too, for the sake of accurate lists :)

And hot chocolate would be yummy and good.

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:30 am UTC

I may bring a friend too.
1.30 pm? At which station?

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:18 am UTC

I'm in, but there is nowhere picnicy that close to either of those stations.... are we bring supplies or purchasing there? Also, what IRC channel is best?
COMFORT, n.

rustedneurons

Postby rustedneurons » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:40 am UTC

theduffman wrote:1.30 pm? At which station?

Bruce wrote:I'm in, but there is nowhere picnicy that close to either of those stations.... are we bring supplies or purchasing there?

Well, to solve two problems, there's an IGA across the road from Southern Cross, so I suggest there.
If people don't feel like walking and finding somewhere, we could have an urban picnic!
Bruce wrote:Also, what IRC channel is best?

I thought #xkcd on irc.foonetic.net was the only one.

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:56 am UTC

rustedneurons wrote:
Bruce wrote:Also, what IRC channel is best?

I thought #xkcd on irc.foonetic.net was the only one.

Do you have another name there or not around at the moment? That channel is very chatty and S/N is very bad for organising much.
COMFORT, n.

ginnybee

Postby ginnybee » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

#geohashing usually is quieter, and there are a couple of melbournites who might be online (me, minerva, or hanna.)

gnat

Postby gnat » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:33 pm UTC

1.30pm sounds good to me, are we agreed on that?

There's the botanic gardens near Flinders, we could go there and pick up our picnic food independently beforehand. Or we could meet up at Southern Cross as suggested... though I don't know of any parks near there.

rustedneurons

Postby rustedneurons » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:19 pm UTC

gnat wrote:1.30pm sounds good to me, are we agreed on that?

There's the botanic gardens near Flinders, we could go there and pick up our picnic food independently beforehand. Or we could meet up at Southern Cross as suggested... though I don't know of any parks near there.

1:30 seems to be the consensus. I think we should meet at Southern Cross as planed; perhaps we could take a tram to Flinders (or walk).

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

yeah, I chatted to rustedneurons on IRC just then. I think we should stick with Southern Cross station to avoid confusion.
We've decided to meet outside the IGA outside Southern Cross Station.
I'll be in my no-raptors t-shirt. Rustedneurons says he'll be in a green jumper. If we can't think of any closer picnic locations, we can wander to flagstaff gardens :)

vdong

Postby vdong » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:47 pm UTC

It's a big station, where is the meeting point?

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:08 am UTC

Outside the IGA

vdong

Postby vdong » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:13 am UTC

I'll try to find it, but since I'm not really from around here it could be difficult.
I'll be in a blue poloshirt, so if you see a person confused and disoriented in a blue polo walking around, warn him :)
to make it more easy, I am 6' 5,5"

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:31 am UTC

I'll be there, some people here should be able to identify me.
COMFORT, n.

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:35 am UTC

Basically, you need to go for the Spencer street exit of the station, not a Telstra Dome exit. Before you even step onto Spencer street, you should see a large IGA express supermarket. If you want to try it out with google maps, type in spencer street/collins street melbourne.

vdong

Postby vdong » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:06 am UTC

I should be able to find it, I'm pretty close right now, City St, southbank

dragon

Postby dragon » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:45 am UTC

:( Danged train-replacement buses! I stayed at a friend's house last night, and thought I'd have time to duck home for a shower and some fresh clothes, but doesn't look like I'm going to make it back out to the city in time. Argh.

Assuming it would take the same amount of time to get back out as it did to get here, I would arrive in the city at something like a quarter past two, and I don't expect people will still be near the IGA then..
Sorry guys, looks like I'm missing this one.
Context? What context?

Return to “XKCD Meetups”