Connecticut meetup?

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Pixel

Re: Connecticut meetup?

Postby Pixel » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:30 pm UTC

Dakun wrote:Well if you don't mind some casual observers with soda and chips wandering around the yard / garage / house and mingling, sounds like you can do a joint event. Perhaps I'll find something to build - or maybe just bring my truck and create a pool in the bed :-D.

That's totally cool. I'll send you a PM with my address.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

Johnny9919

Postby Johnny9919 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:36 pm UTC

I've been toying with the idea of building a tie interceptor and putting it on wheels almost like a stroller for kids but huge sized it would be wood i guess ...

mention it and the mad scientist thing to see if anyone is interested

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Mon May 05, 2008 12:52 pm UTC

Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

leaf

Postby leaf » Thu May 08, 2008 3:55 pm UTC

So, Pixel has announced Car Chase Movie night a number of times... just to let people know, I cook for these, and if people want to show up and see a particular car chase movie, speak up, as we can get damn near anything from netflix. Next one is in two weeks, I think, and looks like American Graffiti.
Like I told my last wife, I said, "Honey, I never drive faster'n I can see, and besides... it's all in the reflexes." Jack Burton

leaf

Postby leaf » Tue May 20, 2008 2:42 pm UTC

So, Car Chase Movie Night is tomorrow. American Graffiti, and I am cooking, but don't know what yet. It's Pixel's thing though, so he can give details 8)
Like I told my last wife, I said, "Honey, I never drive faster'n I can see, and besides... it's all in the reflexes." Jack Burton

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Tue May 20, 2008 2:53 pm UTC

leaf wrote:So, Car Chase Movie Night is tomorrow. American Graffiti, and I am cooking, but don't know what yet. It's Pixel's thing though, so he can give details 8)

Not many details left to give. It'll be at my place in West Hartford. PM me if you want the address, anyone is welcome.

"Less bite, more wobble"

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Wed May 21, 2008 3:38 pm UTC

WOOHOO! i didnt know it was CAR CHASE movie night!!!

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Wed May 21, 2008 4:36 pm UTC

parkaboy wrote:WOOHOO! i didnt know it was CAR CHASE movie night!!!

Every other Wednesday is Car Chase Movie Night, we're predictable that way. :)

I've been slack about mentioning in here for a while though.

"Less bite, more wobble"

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:09 pm UTC

Car Chase Movie Night this Wednesday, we'll be watching Transporter 2. Indestructible Audi, improbable driving and a psycho assassin in lingerie. You know you want to.

"Less bite, more wobble"

Dakun

Postby Dakun » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:24 am UTC

So how about 8:30... lol.

I have class Wednesday 7-8:30, but i'd like to meet up at some point.
Jamie
---------------------
I have with me two gods, Persuasion and Compulsion. - Themistocles

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

8:30 would make it more likely for me and parka to show up (though the current price of gas makes that less likely) and I can still drive home since I usually don't sleep until 1:30 anyway.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:17 pm UTC

Or I can drive since my car gets better gas mileage. You want to split gas cost?

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:13 pm UTC

parkaboy wrote:Or I can drive since my car gets better gas mileage. You want to split gas cost?

If you two plan on coming PM me or call me and we'll put an episode of Top Gear in around 6:30 to hold us over until 7:30 so you have time to get here.

"Less bite, more wobble"

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:18 pm UTC

Figures I look at this thread the weekend AFTER you guys have a get-together :?.

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:23 pm UTC

We do Car Chase Movie Night every other Wednesday, so the next one is the 19th. Plan accordingly. :)

"Less bite, more wobble"

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:01 pm UTC

Sunday, June 15th: Autocross in Stratford, CT hosted by the Fairfield County Sports Car Club. Details at fcscc.com.

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:03 pm UTC

ZeroSum wrote:Sunday, June 15th: Autocross in Stratford, CT hosted by the Fairfield County Sports Car Club. Details at fcscc.com.

Meh. looks like SCCA doesn't allow xBs in their stock class, and the Comet is whoa broken and likely to stay that way for a while until I get replacement hubs machined.

"Less bite, more wobble"

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Meeting of the Mad Scientists Union this Saturday in West Hartford.

"Less bite, more wobble"

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:15 pm UTC

Car Chase Movie Night tonight, we're watching the first two episodes of the new season of Top Gear. We'll probably be watching a lot of top gear for the next two months, possibly interspersed with Car Chase Movies if we want to mix things up.

Saturday the 12th is this month's Meeting of the Mad Scientists Union.

"Less bite, more wobble"

leaf

Postby leaf » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:16 pm UTC

If you're coming to CCMN tonight, please reply -- I am cooking tonight and want to make sure there's enough for everyone.

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:58 pm UTC

Car Chase Movie Night. Tonight is Mother, Juggs & Speed, and possibly some new Top Gears.

"Less bite, more wobble"

leaf

Postby leaf » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

Tonight? Or tomorrow, Wednesday?

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:12 pm UTC

Tomorrow, because I am an idiot.

"Less bite, more wobble"

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:57 pm UTC

Car Chase Movie Night tomorrow (Wed), We have both The Great Race and the last two episodes of this season's Top Gear.

Saturday is the Mad Scientists Union.

"Less bite, more wobble"

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:17 pm UTC

I'll be hosting an OMGWTFBBQ at my place in West Hartford this Saturday, August 16th. The theme is "That's not right!" And everyone is encouraged to bring food, games, etc. that simply isn't right. The only rule with food is you have to eat the first bite of whatever you bring.

The party starts around noon and goes til we kick you all out. If you're interested in attending, PM me.

"Less bite, more wobble"

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:08 pm UTC

I HAS AN EXCITEMENTS!!! Tomorrow is going to be so fun ^__^

I'm going to see if I can burn Forbidden Zone before coming over, just in case we need a really really fucked up movie.

(oingo Boingo made a movie? Yes... sortof. Yes.)

leaf

Postby leaf » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:35 am UTC

So awesome to see you and Zerosum yesterday! The party was so much fun.... and thank you for the dramatic reading 8)

And the.... cake was awesome!

Leaf

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:46 pm UTC

Car Chase Movie Night on Wednesday, Leaf has snagged us "Herbie the Love Bug" for this week, not to be confused with "Herpes, the Lust Bug" which is a very different and much less appealing movie (though with car chases in it, go figure).

"Less bite, more wobble"

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:29 pm UTC

Car Chase Movie night this Wed. We're watching Pixar's "Cars" in honor of Paul Newman.

Sat is Mad Scientist's Union.

As usual, PM me if you need directions/info/etc.

"Less bite, more wobble"

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:50 pm UTC

For those who don't read the RI meetup thread:
----
Leaf & I will be attending this, should others be interested in joining us:

This Halloween, come down to the Steel Yard in Providence for another molten metal spectacular! The gates open at 6:00 on October 31st at the Steel Yard, and admission is $5. Activities from 6pm - 7pm will include a ceramic bowl sale by our Ceramics Cooperative, bike art and costume building with Recycle-A-Bike, and a pumpkin flinging trebuchet. Proceeds from the bowl sale will benefit the Ceramics Department and resident artists. Hot cider and snacks will be available by donation.

The Iron Guild's casting performance will start promptly at 7pm. The first Guild performance at the Steel Yard brought us a glowing skull with iron wings. Last year, they unveiled the giant flaming heart and poured molten iron into pumpkins. This year...zombies, brains, and candy.

Stick around after the pour for music from local Providence band Tides.

More info:
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/10/the_steel_yards_2008_hall.html
http://babel.massart.edu/ironguild/events/events.html
http://thesteelyard.blogspot.com/2008/10/iron-pour-2008.html

Pic from a previous pour:

"Less bite, more wobble"

leaf

Postby leaf » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:33 am UTC

HEY, everybody....
Car Chase Movie Night at Pixel's in West Hartford, Wednesday night, 6:30ish. Velvet and I are cooking, so PM Pixel to tell him you're coming for head count purposes, or to get directions!

leaf

Postby leaf » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:38 pm UTC

And another public service announcement:

The Meeting of the Mad Scientists Union has been moved to Springfield, MA this Saturday, Dec 6, 10am to 4pm. PM for address and directions.

Pixel has steampunk armor and a solar garage heater to work on, Ian will be doing something exciting with the forge (yes, folks, a real live smith with real live fire and HOT metal). You know you want to come. You're *dressed* like you want to come! one of uuuuusssssssss..... oooooooooone of uuuuuuuuuuuussssssssss..........

Oh yeah, hell if I know what my project will be, but it WILL BE COOL! 8)

leaf

Postby leaf » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:37 pm UTC

Sadly, as Ian is going to NC next week, and the holidays have been happening all over, we have to cancel the Meeting of the Mad Scientists' Union for January, but we will definitely hold it in Feb, after everyone has broken their resolutions and had a chance to recover from Christmas, New Year's and Arisia!

leaf

Postby leaf » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:56 pm UTC

I am happy to announce the triumphant return of The Meeting of the Mad Scientists/Open Forge Day in Springfield, MA, Sat, Feb 7th, 10am-5 or 6pm!

Come on out and work on a project of your own, or learn some basic blacksmithing!

PM me for address if you are interested.... should be fun. As always, we will have lunch stuff for the grill/stove, depending on weather, though contributions are always welcome!

reishka

Postby reishka » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:53 pm UTC

Dudes, I am so totally tired of being lonely, sitting in my house and drinking and playing FFXI on the weekends. (Weekends for me are Sunday - Tuesday).

Someone pleeeeeeeease let's do something? DDR, going to the cinema, a lunch date, something! I need to get out of my house and learn some social skills. ; _ ;

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:55 pm UTC

It isn't during your weekend, but we're still doing the Car Chase Movie Night every other Wednesday in West Hartford.

This week is either Death Race or Transporter3. Either one will have Jason Stathem, fast cars, bad acting and terrible scripts. Come for the explosions, stay for the mockery.

"Less bite, more wobble"

reishka

Postby reishka » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:54 pm UTC

:( Wednesdays don't work for me because of my work schedule. I work in Windsor until 6:45-7 PM on Wednesday and then I have to hike it back to Waterbury and go to bed, because I have to get up for 5 AM on Thursdays and work my 11 and 12 hour days.

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:05 pm UTC

Ouch. Well if we're doing anything on a more useful day I'll try and remember to post it here.

"Less bite, more wobble"

reishka

Postby reishka » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:51 pm UTC

Yeah, my work schedule looks something like this:

Wednesday: 12:45 PM - 6:45 PM
Thursday/Friday: 6:45 AM - 5:45 PM
Saturday: 6:45 AM - 6:45 PM

And I have that hour-long commute each way. I don't get in until 7 or 8 in the evenings, and I get up at 5 AM to leave at 5:45 in the morning.

BUT. I'm free Saturday nights/Sundays/Mondays/Tuesdays. And Tuesdays I can stay out a bit later as I don't have to leave until almost noon on Wednesday.

Vulcanis

Postby Vulcanis » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:02 pm UTC

:( Need moar meetups.
The only difference between insanity and genius is success.

Return to “XKCD Meetups”