New York area meetup??

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

lazarus89

Re: New York area meetup??

Postby lazarus89 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:52 am UTC

Who would be up for Japanese pub night (alcohol completely optional) at Kenka, in St. Mark's Place on Thursday at around 8.30?

Cheap ramen, yakitori and assorted drinks. To put prices in this place in perspective, we were able to feed 7 people for under $60 (with tip) the last time we went here.
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:57 pm UTC

I support this idea.
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:09 pm UTC

Bumped for people should come eat cheaply with me!

I will be at Kenka (see above) for dinner after my Japanese classes tomorrow. Company is, as always, welcome.
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

circumlocuted

Postby circumlocuted » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:54 pm UTC

lazarus89 wrote:Bumped for people should come eat cheaply with me!

I will be at Kenka (see above) for dinner after my Japanese classes tomorrow. Company is, as always, welcome.

Hey.
I can swing by there, as long as it's not too late in the afternoon as I have another commitment tonight (Thursday, Nov 20th).

Also, while restaurants are fun, another cool place to meet during the winter is the 42nd street public library.

It's quiet, but not too quiet to talk and socialize, and it's very laptop friendly.
Anyway, let's keep this thread alive...

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:28 pm UTC

Sadly, I can't make it before 8:30 tonight, but we can reschedule for another time. Next week and the week after don't work too well (I'm going to be heading to fair India for Thanksgiving), but anytime after the 4th of Dec is good.

Tell me what you think!

Awesomely.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:41 pm UTC

Hm. I was thinking about coming this evening, but perhaps rescheduling would be better. I've been eating out a lot and not sleeping, both of which aren't remedied by tonight's meetup. A couple weeks from now?
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

circumlocuted

Postby circumlocuted » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:45 pm UTC

I too am going away for thanksgiving tomorrow morning, and wont be back until December 3rd.

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:47 pm UTC

Let's scupper tonight in that case and meet up for activity (+ | || ) food after we all get back.

Awesomely.

Pit

Postby Pit » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:19 am UTC

Hey, I recently got home from college, and is currently staying around the NY, NY area. I'll be here for a while (till like Mid-January). Anyone up for a meet up? ;3 there will be card games! and fun!
The only thing better than bacon is more bacon on it, potentially sprinkled with bacon salt.

Xoco Mint / Pit

LISStryfe

Postby LISStryfe » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:46 am UTC

After the holiday, Jan. 8 or so, I'll be up for an event. Anyone feel like getting something together?

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:12 pm UTC

My GOD. Someone other than Clintonius and me on the NY meetup thread?

I'm out of town until the 4th, and work will no doubt eat me alive when I get back... but of course I'm up for a meetup. Does anyone have any ideas for fun things to do in the new year?

Awesomely.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:45 pm UTC

Get insanely drunk and perform live reenactments of political goings-on from the previous year (bonus points if it happened on the same date)? In public?
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

Pit

Postby Pit » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

yes. I wouldn't mind making a fool of myself in public. ;O

I'll be here till the 18th, and I'm awat from the 5-11.
The only thing better than bacon is more bacon on it, potentially sprinkled with bacon salt.

Xoco Mint / Pit

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:42 pm UTC

Um...I'm on break until January 5th, so could do a meetup before then. But apparently everyone else can only do one after I go back to school? :P Great timing!
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

questioningmrow

Postby questioningmrow » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:54 pm UTC

Anyone else in the NY Area? Wouldn't mind a meetup as well. I'll bring Apples to Apples, Munchkin, Polarity, Fluxx, and a Magnetic Go Board

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:55 pm UTC

Meteorswarm... Cornell... you wouldn't happen to have a spare ticket to the Cornell/Princeton game on 2/7 would you?

Awesomely.

Killy_mcgee

Postby Killy_mcgee » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:48 pm UTC

Hey, Why don't we all meet up during the New Years bash?
[insert random quote/ some stupid "bunny takes over world" thing.]
FUCK BUNNIES.

Asija34

Postby Asija34 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:48 pm UTC

@Killy_mcgee see my new years time square thread

circumlocuted

Postby circumlocuted » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:39 am UTC

Anyone up for a mid-january meetup?

Pit

Postby Pit » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:28 am UTC

date?

Xoco Mint / Pit

circumlocuted

Postby circumlocuted » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:31 pm UTC

Pit wrote:date?

How about next saturday the 10th.

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:38 pm UTC

Works for me... I'm always down for meeting new people.

I need to carry out my annual wardrobe refresh early Saturday afternoon, but would be glad to meet up with others later on. What would you guys say to snacking/hanging out at S'MAC? Purposefully avoiding bars and such because I'm not sure of the ages of the people who are actually going to turn up.

Awesomely.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:17 pm UTC

I can't say for certain, but I doubt I'll be able to make Saturday. Have fun, and I'll get in touch with Laz if my schedule clears up.
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

a386

Postby a386 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:01 pm UTC

there's an animal collective show in new york on the twentieth, and i know that's inauguration day and people may have things to do but there's another one on the twenty first too. i'm not sure if i can even go to either of those but i would like to, and if not then hey it's ideas for you all

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:27 pm UTC

COLLEGE HOCKEY: Princeton vs: Yale
Time: Sat 02/21/2009 7:00 ET
Tickets: $10

We will be consuming "Sprite Zero" during the game, and will then head up to Hoagie Haven afterwards for the greasiest, best sandwiches in the tristate area.

Oh wait, you say the Greasetrucks in New Brunswick are better? Well, I suppose we could go there as well. Because, you know, I live in New Brunswick. If you are too drunk to make it home, you are welcome to crash at my place.

This is a plan that cannot fail to be awesome. Bring friends! If the evening is deemed successful, we will repeat it for all remaining Princeton home games.

I can pick up tickets before the game to ensure that we all get in.

NB: Sprite Zero is actually vodka. Adults will not be in place to supervise young'uns, so if you are under 21 or don't like the company of friendly drunks, this is probably not the meetup for you. Never fear, we will definitely have some all-age/drink-compatible events at some stage down the road... I particularly liked Clintonius' scavenger hunt at the zoo idea.

Awesomely.

circumlocuted

Postby circumlocuted » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

Maybe this weekend then?

I will be around.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:47 pm UTC

Hey anytime in Februaury (and prolly after), anywhere in the city. Guess which borough Im from (SPOILER: Brooklyn)

So nice to be on a forum with people actually from NYC. Last forum I was on the only two people from here besides me up and moved (bastards, who moves away from the center of the universe,m by which I mean NYC of course not me <.<)
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:53 am UTC

HEY GUYS. New York Comic Con is relatively soon, and I'm thinking of going at least for Saturday. Anyone else planning on it?

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:38 pm UTC

I'm not really into comics -- the last comic graphic novel I read was "Lost Girls" by the guy who wrote Watchmen.

But I'm always up for seeing newold faces. Anyone else in for this?

Awesomely.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:33 pm UTC

Yeah, I'ma skip the con, but am not opposed to some hanging out/inebriation later. Thoughts?
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:07 pm UTC

Right now I don't think I'll be going Friday (travel day, not sure how much I'll be able to see), so would def. be up for hanging out Friday night. Saturday, a panel I really want to see ends at 7:45ish pm (and I already half-expect it to run late), but later on is likely cool.

(And I'm not *that* into comics, either, I think it's mainstreamed considerably with all these superhero movies and there will be Big Movie Promotional Stuff as well as little promotional stuff/gamer stuff/panels about cartoons. And I like looking at art even if I'm not terribly familiar with somebody's work.)

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:52 pm UTC

Friday evening is boozit night at my boss's place. Apparently there are "53 bottles of beer and another 30 or so bottles of wine and scotch left over" from the New Years party she had.

Let's hang out Sat. night... while bars are cool, chilling at someone's place could be even better. I volunteer my place, but I know it's a "little" out of the way, what with it being in central NJ and all.

Awesomely.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

My place is open and is slightly closer (Newark).
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:44 pm UTC

I'll hold you to it, Meteorswarm. Although after the 36 second rally on Saturday night, I'll understand if you aren't too keen on having me up at Lynah next October... ;)

Awesomely.

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:37 am UTC

There is only one way to describe last night: great success!

Good times. Seriously, this needs to be repeated at some stage. Next home game is in the playoffs... anyone interested?

Awesomely.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:49 pm UTC

*breathes life into this thread*
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:41 pm UTC

This isn't reeeeally a meetup, but oh well. I'm moving back to NYC! I am trying to find an apartment to lease starting May 1st. I figured I would mention it in this thread because if anyone knows of someone who's looking for a roommate, or someone who's leaving a really great cheap studio or 1 bedroom (probably in Brooklyn or Queens), I would love to hear from you!
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

reishka

Postby reishka » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:51 pm UTC

Welcome back to NYC! :o

It'll make it easier to come visit you. >.>;

Pending on where Boy gets a teaching job (either in the city or in CT) we're thinking about moving out there. But he graduates like.. mid-May, and who knows when he'll end up getting a job, so. :(

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:52 pm UTC

Hey Lani... welcome back!

Like you, I'm on the prowl for an apartment somewhere in the city, although my timeline isn't quite as compressed as yours. Brooklyn is preferred, close access to red or green subways a bonus. Oh yeah... two bedrooms, because there'll probably be a roommate as well.

PM me with any leads!

Awesomely.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:40 pm UTC

And me!

And hey -- there should be an actualy New York meetup sometime!

Edit: I'm leaving that in there, because I think it's funny.
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

Return to “XKCD Meetups”