HEXATTACK 4.0 (now moderated by emlightened)

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

patzer

HEXATTACK 4.0 (now moderated by emlightened)

Postby patzer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:49 am UTC

This game, invented by Lawsome (a member of these forums!), was played a lot on here in 2012-15. I've spoken to some friends, and there seems to be some interest in a revival, so here goes!

Link to original thread and its two sequels.

Here are the rules. Mostly the rules of the original game, written by Lawsome, without any of the later more complicated modifiers so we can keep things simple.

If there's any confusion about how the game works even after reading the rules, feel free to look

Hexattack

(Although this post looks daunting at first, it is mainly pictures, and should only take a few minutes to read.)

Hexattack is a game of prediction and teamwork, you control a great warrior (Or warriors), represented by a coloured hex on the battlefield, you, in co-operation with your allies, must defeat the other team and take over the battlefield, there are two ways to play, depending on how many players join, but the basic rules remain the same.

BASIC RULES
(There are a few rules, but you'll pick it up very fast)

Spoiler:
You control a warrior or multiple warriors, each turn you will post in a spoiler the actions you wish to carry out, For instance: ATTACK UP, or DEFEND DOWN-RIGHT, you may only perform ONE ACTION PER WARRIOR A TURN.

Once everyone has posted their moves for the turn in a spoiler, I will activate all your moves at THE SAME TIME, there is no turn taking here. This means that a lot of the game will boil down to trying to guess your opponents next actions. “Should I attack them? Or are the greens going to attack me? If they are, I should block, But what if they are too busy defending against to yellows...” And so on, basically, it could very well rip your head to smithereens.

Needless to say, you may not look inside the spoilers posted by other players.

Warriors are represented by dark filled hexes:

Places where warriors WERE LAST TURN are represented by filling ALL AVAILABLE BORDERS WITH THAT HEX'S COLOR.

The green hex moves:

The green hex is destroyed by the red hex:

I would like to point out here that to remove difficulty with the rules I perform all moves in the following order.

Grab
Defend
Attack
Move
Push

That means I carry out ALL THE GRAB MOVES, by ALL THE PLAYERS, ALL AT ONCE. Followed by all the defends, than all the attacks, etc etc. This will come in very useful later on.

There are 5 different moves, the first I will cover is the ATTACK MOVE.

Attacking
Spoiler:
The attack move, if successful will destroy the warrior at the hex, if there is no warrior at the targeted hex nothing happens. It is represented on the board by FILING IN THE BORDER THAT MATCHES THE DIRECTION OF THE ATTACK, RED.

Attacking down-right, destroying the yellow warrior:

As stated before, attacking counts a a move, and you can make one move a turn, therefore, you cannot attack two hexes with one warrior in one turn.

IF TWO HEXES ATTACK EACH OTHER, THE ATTACKS BOUNCE OFF AND NEITHER IS DESTROYED.

Now, attacking would be boring if there wasn't a way to defend yourself, right?

Defending
Spoiler:
Another move you can do is called defence, defending prevents any future moves carried out that turn that could directly affect the hex (By moving it, destroying it, or directly preventing it from being moved or destroyed) from working. Provided they are coming from the direction the defence is aimed, or the direction directly clockwise or anticlockwise to the direction it is aimed. This is a pretty freakin’ complicated definition, but for now we can just say that defence blocks any attacks coming in from the direction it is aimed and the two directions to either side. Like this:
(As you can see defence is shown by shading borders blue)

However, in this scenario, an attack from down, down-right, or up-right would have killed the warrior.

Not that this move was done by blocking up left, not by blocking up or down left. Blocking up left also blocks from up and down left as well.

I hope you understand that this move is impossible to perform.

Moving
Spoiler:
It would get seriously boring if your warriors couldn't move. Well, you can also order your unit or units to move into adjacent Hexes, with the MOVE command.

The yellow warrior moves Down-right

If two hexes warriors attempt to move into the same hex neither of them move.

Two warriors may not directly change places.

HOWEVER three or more warriors may ROTATE places provided no two warriors directly swap.

It IS POSSIBLE to move into a hex that was previously occupied by a warrior who was killed, OR move into a hex that was occupied by a warrior who moved out of the hex DURING THE SAME TURN.

However, in the above example if the first hex gets interrupted for some reason and CANNOT move. None of the ones behind it can move either (Think of it as cars getting caught in a jam.)

Grabbing
Spoiler:
This move exists primarily to stop players from cowering in the corners of the map continually blocking. It is also the only move with a set range of 2. If the hex the grab move is performed on is free, the next hex in that direction is instead effected (if it contains a warrior that is).

The grab move brings the hit warrior one hex closer to you.

Here the attack is out of range.

If a warrior is grabbed by two or more hexes at once it does not move.

To remove complications we think of the grab move as a two part process. First is selection. In which we find the warriors being targeted by the grab move (By finding the closest warrior within 2 hexes of all units performing the grab command. And discluding warriors that are being grabbed by more than one unit), second is the movement, where we move the targeted hexes using the usual move command toward the origin of their grabs. These are a few of the results of that

A warrior still counts as being “grabbed” even if they cannot move any closer to the performer of the action. All this really does is mean that in this scenario the green hex counts as being grabbed by two people and therefore does not move.

Also note that a warrior cannot be grabbed and pulled into the way of another grab, and then be pulled by that grab. So the green hex is not then grabbed by the blue hex in this scenario.

You can still perform a grab even if you are grabbed yourself:

To have a good example of how all these come into play, take this tricky scenario.

Let's first do the selection stage, if we determine which hexes are going to move and where, we get this:

Now we can try to move those hexes, and this is what we get:

Take out the moves and put back in the grabs and we get this:

Also, note that a grab cannot be blocked by the defend command, as it happens before the defend command in the turn order, and the defend command only blocks moves that happen after it in the turn.

And finally, Pushing
Spoiler:
In this game, the push command may only be used by wizards.

----------

When it comes to the point of the turn where all the push commands are activated, I freeze time (effectively) I then create a green ball at each warrior who is using Push. That ball will move in the direction specified as if it were continually using the move function.

If the ball collides with a player and that ball IS NOT CARRYING ANOTHER PLAYER that player gets picked up and carried by it until neither the ball nor the player can move anymore.

If a ball collides with another ball both balls are destroyed, if one or more of those balls were holding a player the player(s) are dropped and left in their new location.

If a ball collides with a player and it IS carrying another player already, the ball is destroyed and the player it is carrying is dropped in its new location.

ALL BALLS AND PICKED UP PLAYERS MOVE SIMULTANEOUSLY AND AT THE SAME SPEED. Once no more balls and players can be moved, the Push turn ends.

Here are some effects of the rules stated above:

If a warrior is the target of two or more pulses it will be affected by the one closest to it and the other pulses or pulse will pass by unaffected.

If two or more or the pulses are of equal distance, then he does not move, even if there seems to be a plausible way out of it.

Also, A push move can be blocked. In this case you do not move.

The moves in combination

Spoiler:
You may remember me saying that the moves were carried out in the following order.

Grab
- Selection of units to grab
- moving of selected units
Defend
Attack
Move
Push

This means I carry out all the grab orders, then the defend orders, followed by all the attack orders, then all the move orders and then all the Push orders. This removes a lot of problems. For instance, it is impossible to move away from an attack, as all attacks are performed before move actions. The only way to survive being attacked is to block that attack. However, because move actions come after attacks, it is possible to move into a hex that is under attack and survive.

Also, because Push is performed last, both of these moves are possible.

Moving out of the way of as pulse.

Attacking and killing a warrior while being hit by a pulse.

Also, because grab is performed first, these moves are possible.

Using a grab to move a single warrior 2 hexes in one turn,

Attacking and killing the hex attempting a grab on you.

Using a grab to pull a warrior out of combat.

Also, killed warriors still carry out their actions, so if you use a push command that order will happen even if you are killed in the process, it also makes this funky move collection possible.

However, you may say that the “actions still carried out after you die” rule directly contradicts the rule that you cannot run away from an attack and survive. Well think of it this way, you are killed by the attack so no matter where you move you will only be moving a dead body, therefore your unit is removed and the outline represents where it was last turn :)

So, now we are nearly at the end of this long haul through the game, there is just one more thing.

Kill points
Spoiler:
There is much variation between different matches, I will post up the special rules for the match when it starts. However, a lot of them rely on accumulating “points”, if a warrior that one of your warriors attacked is destroyed. Than you earn a kill point for your side. If more than one warrior attacks the same warrior and it is killed, you earn a point provided your attack would have made the kill without all the other warriors attacking the victim too.

In this situation. Red earns one point as only one kill was made. Yellow earns one point as well. But green does not earn a point as their attack was blocked.

The spoiler submitting your moves should go as following. Although the format doesn't really matter, this method is most compact.

W MOVE UP
1 BLOCK DOWN-RIGHT
2 ATTACK UP-LEFT

In this game, there are two types of warriors: wizards, and standard warriors. Only wizards (Represented by a W) may use the push command, but they may not use block defend.
Last edited by patzer on Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:01 am UTC, edited 8 times in total.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

faubi

Re: HEXATTACK 4.0

Postby faubi » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:49 am UTC

/in

patzer

Postby patzer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:51 am UTC

The game is best played with 3, 4, 6, or 8 players (for symmetry). If necessary to bring the number of players up to an even number, I can play too. (of course submitting my own moves prior to opening other players' spoilers to make the gameboard!)

Here's an example of what the starting gameboard may look like (image again courtesy of Lawsome):

Spoiler:

but the exact layout used will depend on the number of players.

LIST OF SIGNUPS:

Code: Select all

1. faubi
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:34 am UTC

/in
/out
/in
/out
/shake
/it
/all
/about
/in
← approximately how gay I am.
"a nebulous cloud of different combinations of styling bodily features"
"on either side of a wrought iron fence made of tigers"

threetwoone

Postby threetwoone » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:57 pm UTC

/in!
---Three Two One!---

patzer

Postby patzer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:36 pm UTC

LIST OF SIGNUPS:

Code: Select all

1. faubi
2. emlightened
3. threetwoone

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:26 am UTC

If we don't get any more signups in the next few days, I'll start this game on about Thursday with those three players, on a triangular board.

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:18 am UTC

Here's the board that I plan to use, assuming we get no more signups:

Spoiler:
hex1.png

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:37 pm UTC

/in
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:22 pm UTC

Woo! Now we just need one more person to make it an awkward number!

rosewinsall wrote:*gets summoned*

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:13 pm UTC

I'm pretty good at making things awkward on my own.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Rosewinsall

Postby Rosewinsall » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:41 pm UTC

/in

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:42 am UTC

Currently making a 5-player gameboard, will start game later today assuming no more signups!

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:44 pm UTC

/watching, maybe to join game 5.0, unless you're not anywhere near finalising the 5-starter setup and can stand a bit of a n00bie bulking out the simpler 6-player layout without wasting that effort.

(i.e. If you've come back with your 5-board ready to post, definitely do that.)

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:22 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:/watching, maybe to join game 5.0, unless you're not anywhere near finalising the 5-starter setup and can stand a bit of a n00bie bulking out the simpler 6-player layout without wasting that effort.

(i.e. If you've come back with your 5-board ready to post, definitely do that.)

I actually haven't managed to find a fair 5-player setup at all, unfortunately, so will take up your offer to play (unless someone else joins ofc).

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:14 pm UTC

Ok, make that official /in, unless anyone wants to fight me for it. ;)

(I was wondering how a 'fair' 5-player map would look. Couldn't think of one myself, off the top of my head.)

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:27 pm UTC

You could do something like this for 5. (Though playing with 6 is preferred!)
Pentagon-level-4.png
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:59 pm UTC

Slightly less non-Euclidean than my 'best' idea to tesselate pentagons all the way to the chosen edge (subset of the infinite {5,4} regular tiling?), but that's why I didn't want to waste effort put towards an elegant solution, by joining prematurely, and yet after the problem had been solved without my help…

(But just tell me to shut up about it and go read the OP again. I was going to volunteer after reviewing prior games and absorbing the rules. Now it seems I've got to cram!)

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:03 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:You could do something like this for 5. (Though playing with 6 is preferred!)

Soupspoon wrote:Slightly less non-Euclidean than my 'best' idea to tesselate pentagons all the way to the chosen edge (subset of the infinite {5,4} regular tiling?), but that's why I didn't want to waste effort put towards an elegant solution, by joining prematurely, and yet after the problem had been solved without my help…

The issue with these, though, is that it's harder to input moves. We can no longer say things as elegant as "up" or "down-right" or "up-left", in case there happen to be two contenders for up-left, say.

Soupspoon wrote:(But just tell me to shut up about it and go read the OP again. I was going to volunteer after reviewing prior games and absorbing the rules. Now it seems I've got to cram!)

I think the only reason I joined so quickly was because I did that a year or two ago, when there were no games to be had.

patzer

Postby patzer » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:34 pm UTC

And we're off!
Submit your moves in a spoiler now!

TURN 1
hex4.png

Pinging everyone.

Spoiler:
emlightened wrote:

heuristically_alone wrote:

threetwoone wrote:

faubi wrote:

Rosewinsall wrote:

Soupspoon wrote:

emlightened

Re: HEXATTACK 4.0 (game started!)

Postby emlightened » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:44 pm UTC

Hey, so, anyone wanna team?

Spoiler:
All move up-left

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:55 pm UTC

Spoiler:
1,3: Move Down-left
2,4: Move Up-left
5,W: Idle No, defend up-left/down-left (respectively) just for the colouring-in lulz...;)

@Em: I've no idea whether I can team well with you. I'm certainly furthest from you and on a hex-diagonal so am unlikely to be able to attack you for long enough...

threetwoone

Postby threetwoone » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:04 am UTC

sure, i’ll team with you.
Spoiler:
1 move down-left
5 move down-left
2 move down-left
3 move down-left
---Three Two One!---

Rosewinsall

Postby Rosewinsall » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:26 am UTC

Spoiler:
All move down

faubi

Postby faubi » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:28 pm UTC

Spoiler:
1 Move Up
2 Defend Up-Right
3 Move Up
4 Move Up
5 Move Up-Right
W Push Up-Right

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:53 pm UTC

Spoiler:
4 - move left
3- move left
W - move left
1 - move up
2 - move up
5 - move up
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:56 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:@Em: I've no idea whether I can team well with you. I'm certainly furthest from you and on a hex-diagonal so am unlikely to be able to attack you for long enough...

threetwoone wrote:sure, i’ll team with you.

How about this - none of us attack each other until one player is dead. If we defend each other, that extends until two players are dead. If one of us attacks another, the first to attack is attacked by the other two. Sound good?

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:28 pm UTC

It sounds suitably complex. And it's better than an equilateral alliance where the "other three" could just form an entangled opposing alliance until some Archie Duke finally shoots an ostrich because he's hungry.

I'm game to give it ago. Especially as I wouldn't admit to knowing what my own tactics are going to be yet!

patzer

Postby patzer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:39 pm UTC

Turn 2

redundant spoiler
Spoiler:
hexturn02.png

faubi

Re: HEXATTACK 4.0 (Turn 2)

Postby faubi » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:42 pm UTC

Well at least I'm not the only person who mixed up left and right :p

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:50 pm UTC

Crud.

*sigh*

Spoiler:
all move down-right

faubi, rose, I'm probably about to become adjacent to one of you. Do you want to engage?

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:08 pm UTC

Spoiler:
1, 4: Move D
2,W: Move LD
3: Defend LU
5: Defend U

(Strictly between you and me, I've probably still got no idea. :P)

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:11 pm UTC

(edit: Identical double-post.)

threetwoone

Postby threetwoone » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:08 pm UTC

emlightened wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:@Em: I've no idea whether I can team well with you. I'm certainly furthest from you and on a hex-diagonal so am unlikely to be able to attack you for long enough...

threetwoone wrote:sure, i’ll team with you.

How about this - none of us attack each other until one player is dead. If we defend each other, that extends until two players are dead. If one of us attacks another, the first to attack is attacked by the other two. Sound good?
Sounds good.

Spoiler:
1, 2, 5 move down-left.
3, 4 move down.
W move down.
---Three Two One!---

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:26 pm UTC

Spoiler:
4 - move up
3 - move up
W - move left
5 - move up-left
2 - move up-left
1 - move up-left

Threetwoone, wanna team up against soupspoon with me? Emlightened, wanna team up againat faubi with me?
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:31 am UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:Threetwoone, wanna team up against soupspoon with me? Emlightened, wanna team up againat faubi with me?

Soupspoon and threetwoone are both in an alliance with me, and if one attacks another, all attack the first, so I figure that you'll have a better chance asking rose, or against rose.

I'll team up against faubi if she confirms she wants to engage with me, but otherwise, I'll put your offer on hold.

@Moderator: Are we allowed to communicate privately, and if so, through PM or spoilers?

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:52 am UTC

emlightened wrote:@Moderator: Are we allowed to communicate privately, and if so, through PM or spoilers?

hmm.
Yes.

Communicate with each other by PM, please (to avoid confusion with the moves that are in spoilers).

And please add me as a recipient too in the PMs, just so I can check that nothing bad's going on in there.

faubi

Postby faubi » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:07 am UTC

Spoiler:
1 Move Up
2 Defend Up-Left
3 Pass
4 Move Up-Left
5 Move Up
W Push Up-Right

Rosewinsall

Postby Rosewinsall » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:25 pm UTC

Spoiler:
1 Move left
3 Move left
4 Move left
W Push

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:45 pm UTC

Apologies for the delay posting the turn- I was out.

TURN 3

redundant
Spoiler:
hexturn03.png

Return to “Forum Games”