xkcd random button not working

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

quetzal1234

xkcd random button not working

Postby quetzal1234 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:38 am UTC

Perhaps I'm dense and missing a joke? If I am feel free to blast this thread to oblivion.

When I hit the random button on the xkcd site I get a blank screen with "something went wrong" on it. Everything else appears to be working.
WibblyWobbly wrote:If the ratio of the length of the shaft of a 4-iron to the diameter of a blackberry is 3*pi^3 + 2*pi/3 + (2*e-pi)/(2*e*pi), how does that tell me whether I should use a sand wedge or a lob wedge against an opponent holding an apricot?

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Re: xkcd random button not working

Postby ConMan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:05 am UTC

There's a chance it picked comic #404, does it happen every time you try?
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Krealr

Postby Krealr » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

I'm getting the same thing. (never really tried it before so no idea how long it's been like this)

Using Opera 12.16 on a Win XP machine in case that makes a difference.

EDIT: And of course now it seems to work fine after previously giving me that message 4 times in a row....

quetzal1234

Postby quetzal1234 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

yeah, it happened every time I did it. It wasn't 404, the url was wrong. Whatever it was, it appears to be fixed now.
WibblyWobbly wrote:If the ratio of the length of the shaft of a 4-iron to the diameter of a blackberry is 3*pi^3 + 2*pi/3 + (2*e-pi)/(2*e*pi), how does that tell me whether I should use a sand wedge or a lob wedge against an opponent holding an apricot?

teryret

Postby teryret » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:59 am UTC

This is still broken for me... I click random and it tries to take me to http://c.xkcd.com/random/comic/ (which doesn't exist)

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:48 pm UTC

Data Point: Working fine from U.K. (BT) on Win XP / Firefox 29.0.1
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

osroot

Postby osroot » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:24 am UTC

Yeah, random-button links to
c . xkcd . com / random/comic/
After some time, the comic appears, but I have to wait a significant (ca. 4seconds longer than the "prev|next"-navigation) longer time (I'm in Germany, using Ubuntu, no proxy and latest firefox).
This makes browsing randomly through your site uncomfortable in respect to what it was some time ago (I don't know since when this occures).

I hope I could help you with the description.

PS: first post, so the link has some spaces

iamsherlocked

Postby iamsherlocked » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:18 pm UTC

Hello,

I am experiencing the same problem with the random button viz. when I hit the random button on the xkcd site I get a blank screen with "The webpage is not available" on it. Everything else appears to be working.

I am using google chrome (as I have done for the past few years!) and have never experienced this issue on the site until 2 weeks ago.

Any help would be welcome.

Return to “Site/Forum issues”