Search found 20504 matches

by gmalivuk
Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:49 am UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: What is the past tense of swing?
Replies: 11
Views: 892

Re: What is the past tense of swing?

The form "swung" is used one thousand times more often than "swang." This is pretty good evidence that it is the standard form. Not really. To invent a more extreme example, imagine a specific word for "to re-enter the atmosphere", with distinct and official first-pers...
by gmalivuk
Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:12 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1778: "Interest Timescales"
Replies: 34
Views: 1437

Re: 1778: "Interest Timescales"

English may have more pluralia tantum than many other languages, but it is far from unique in having them in the first place.
by gmalivuk
Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:07 pm UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: What is the past tense of swing?
Replies: 11
Views: 892

Re: What is the past tense of swing?

A simple google search reveals that some people think it is swang, while others say it is swung. There are results that are divided in their answers link another link , there are results that say it's definitely swung yet another link more links final link for this one , and there are results sayin...
by gmalivuk
Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:59 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 2246
Views: 228653

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Dauric wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:Why, what's more unethical about growing human?


For consumption? Inducing prion diseases in your customers for one.
Why would anyone include prion diseases in their lab-grown human flesh, though?
by gmalivuk
Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:16 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 2246
Views: 228653

Re: The Darker Side of the News

While you are hopefully correct that PETA won't have an issue with vat-grown meat, maybe it'll be seen as immoral the same way some people view fictional violence as immoral: Because it will lead people to want 'the real thing' or some such... Maybe some will see it that way, but PETA is explicitly...
by gmalivuk
Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:35 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 2246
Views: 228653

Re: The Darker Side of the News

I was just pointing out that some people will still believe animals are being 'abused' for 'fun'. The quotes should really go around "animals" more than any other word. I didn't get the connection because I don't know of anyone, including PETA-types, who thinks growing muscle tissue in a ...
by gmalivuk
Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:54 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: How to calculate energy in humans?
Replies: 22
Views: 992

Re: How to calculate energy in humans?

a mage ends up accidentally draining a human of all of its energy to power a spell You need to first specify what kind of energy this is. And if it's something mystical like "life energy" (i.e. the mage uses magical energy until the human dies), then you can just decide for yourself how m...
by gmalivuk
Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:43 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 2246
Views: 228653

Re: The Darker Side of the News

they believe owning animals is akin to slavery. Was just pointing out that growing meat in vats will not cure everyone's moral hangups re the 'correct' relationship between people and animals. I know some people view pet ownership as a kind of slavery. I'm still not seeing how that (or anything els...
by gmalivuk
Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:52 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 2246
Views: 228653

Re: The Darker Side of the News

they believe owning animals is akin to slavery. Was just pointing out that growing meat in vats will not cure everyone's moral hangups re the 'correct' relationship between people and animals. I know some people view pet ownership as a kind of slavery. I'm still not seeing how that (or anything els...
by gmalivuk
Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:47 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 2246
Views: 228653

Re: The Darker Side of the News

elasto wrote:
Weeks wrote:None of this will be a problem when we get vat-grown meat, surely.

Will still be a problem for those that believe owning a pet is immoral.
I don't understand the connection...?
by gmalivuk
Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:47 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Probability distribution on the power set of natural numbers?
Replies: 12
Views: 524

Re: Probability distribution on the power set of natural numbers?

On a second note, selecting each element independently from N with equal probability p, with 0 < p < 1, gives finite and cofinite sets with probability 0. What do you mean "with equal probability p"? There can be no such p if you're considering all of N. But if you select i in N to be in ...
by gmalivuk
Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:19 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]
Replies: 611
Views: 46754

Re: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]

In which case, the whole paradox boils down to saying "I want you to actually finish counting an infinite number of things (the discarded balls) without getting to an infinite number (the lowest-numbered ball remaining)." That seems like an impossible task to me. Why do you think it's imp...
by gmalivuk
Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:46 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]
Replies: 611
Views: 46754

Re: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]

kryptonaut, you keep getting bogged down with step numbers (and then you keep adding step numbers that never existed). So define the tasks TCn in terms of time. You don't add ball n on step int((n-1)/10)+1, you add it at 10*2^-int((n-1)/10) minutes before midnight. You don't remove ball n on step n,...
by gmalivuk
Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:18 am UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Probability distribution on the power set of natural numbers?
Replies: 12
Views: 524

Re: Probability distribution on the power set of natural numbers?

Yeah, I realized fairly quickly that the countability of cofinite sets implies they'd be measure 0, but decided to keep the thread because I was curious if more general probabilities could be addressed.
by gmalivuk
Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:30 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Probability distribution on the power set of natural numbers?
Replies: 12
Views: 524

Re: Probability distribution on the power set of natural numbers?

But then [0;1,1,1,...] and [0;1] map to the same set of naturals despite being distinct real numbers, while [0;1,1] and [0;2] map to different naturals despite both representing 1/2.
by gmalivuk
Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:25 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1775: "Things You Learn"
Replies: 47
Views: 3424

Re: 1775: Things You Learn

"Stop, drop, and roll" is what you do when you catch on fire.
by gmalivuk
Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:17 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Probability distribution on the power set of natural numbers?
Replies: 12
Views: 524

Re: Probability distribution on the power set of natural numbers?

The problem is that continued fractions can repeat numbers. Which set of natural numbers corresponds to 1/phi, which has just a string of 1's in its continued fraction?
by gmalivuk
Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:51 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Probability distribution on the power set of natural numbers?
Replies: 12
Views: 524

Probability distribution on the power set of natural numbers?

It seems intuitive that an infinite subset of natural numbers would have a finite complement with probability zero, but to actually demonstrate that we'd need a pdf over the power set of naturals. The most straightforward way seems like it would be to specify the pdf over [0,1] and then match those ...
by gmalivuk
Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:49 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]
Replies: 611
Views: 46754

Re: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]

kryptonaut wrote: Demki wrote: I did not see such a case described, could you describe it for me? Is it that hard to imagine? For each step of the supertask add 10 balls and remove 1. What do you have at midnight? In my point of view, it is underdefined. I am unable to know for any given ball if it...
by gmalivuk
Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:48 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]
Replies: 611
Views: 46754

Re: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]

I did not see such a case described, could you describe it for me? Is it that hard to imagine? For each step of the supertask add 10 balls and remove 1. What do you have at midnight? As we have explained to you repeatedly, it is impossible to determine . You have not specified which balls are remov...
by gmalivuk
Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:48 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]
Replies: 611
Views: 46754

Re: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]

The unnumbered (or unseen) version has been mentioned a couple of times, but kryptonaut is the only one who I remember claiming it always results in an infinite number of balls left in the jug. The rest of us contend that the unnumbered version is definitely underspecified, and thus no conclusions c...
by gmalivuk
Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:42 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]
Replies: 611
Views: 46754

Re: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]

Why can't a ball arrive in the jug at exactly midnight? Technically, the puzzle could be considered underspecified because it doesn't say that doesn't happen No, because if we define the state of the jug at midnight to be the limit of the states of the jug before midnight, then that does specify th...
by gmalivuk
Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:52 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]
Replies: 611
Views: 46754

Re: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]

To be honest I'm coming to the view that the problem is poorly specified. It's specified precisely to end up with an empty jug. It is certainly so specified if we also define "jug state at midnight" to mean exactly "set-theoretic limit (if it exists) of the sequence of sets of balls ...
by gmalivuk
Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:57 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1774: "Adjective Foods"
Replies: 64
Views: 3193

Re: 1774: "Adjective Foods"

Rombobjörn wrote:English is said to be unique among Germanic languages in that compounds are often written with spaces in them.
Yeah, and because of those spaces it seems many people persist in thinking the noun adjuncts are adjectives.
by gmalivuk
Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:05 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]
Replies: 611
Views: 46754

Re: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]

Take two Hilbert hotels, A and B, where A is occupied and B is empty. Tell everyone in A to write their current room number on a piece of paper and put it in their pocket. Now fill each room B n by taking the occupant of A 1 and moving everyone in A down one room. A will still be full at the end of...
by gmalivuk
Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:54 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]
Replies: 611
Views: 46754

Re: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]

There is no such argument, because if you don't define how balls are removed then you can't deine the limit, and if you remove balls in a different way you get a different limit. If you don't like it, define your own idea of a limit and mathematicians can figure out if it's a useful definition. The ...
by gmalivuk
Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:46 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]
Replies: 611
Views: 46754

Re: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]

I am not quite convinced that stuff with reaching infinity (and not just going against infinity) is something that makes sense at all. So how do you feel about Zeno? The point wise limit is about what is happening with balls that are added and tangential to the statement of it not being possible fo...
by gmalivuk
Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:22 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]
Replies: 611
Views: 46754

Re: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]

What is the fundamental difference between the arguments that there can't be balls that were added in no step and that the end state can't be something that can't result from any step? Where each ball is at midnight can be deduced by following its path throughout the supertask, as Ermes Marana said...
by gmalivuk
Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:13 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]
Replies: 611
Views: 46754

Re: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]

I would say a set of blue balls in the jug, isomorphic to omega, and a set of blue discarded balls also isomorphic to omega, bearing numbers less than those on the balls in the jug. An ordered set being isomorphic to ω isn't the same as telling what labels it has. The even numbers are a set of numb...
by gmalivuk
Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:42 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]
Replies: 611
Views: 46754

Re: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]

You seem to be leaning toward my option 3, but you keep talking instead about balls and labels that simply do not and cannot exist. If instead of sides we had colors, what do you think would happen? If each step involves removing the lowest ball and painting the next 10 balls blue, what's left at mi...
by gmalivuk
Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:37 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]
Replies: 611
Views: 46754

Re: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]

There is no last finite-numbered ball, and no ball with label omega (or beyond omega) can suddenly appear since at no step do we change any labels. At midnight, there are only three options if we start with natural-numbered balls: 1) Some remain in the jug. All of them have finite labels because all...
by gmalivuk
Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:06 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Verizon Math (Help!)
Replies: 4
Views: 771

Re: Verizon Math (Help!)

This thread is about an electric company, the title is a reference to the Verizon mistake you're referring to.
by gmalivuk
Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:04 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: What to Do With a Nearby Black Hole
Replies: 11
Views: 1175

Re: What to Do With a Nearby Black Hole

The thread title sounds like a helpdesk question from an awesome future. "We just moved in to this starsystem but there's a black hole in the neighborhood. What can we do about it? Has anyone else dealt with one of these?" "One of these"? Tsk. What's the problem you think "...
by gmalivuk
Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:44 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]
Replies: 611
Views: 46754

Re: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]

At the very least, I think it's clear that this is a matter of opinion now, not math. You can clearly take the limits of the p and f functions philip outlined, and they have the obvious limits. Whether you think p or f describes the supertask better is not something that can be deduced, really. It ...
by gmalivuk
Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:32 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1774: "Adjective Foods"
Replies: 64
Views: 3193

Re: 1774: "Adjective Foods"

somitomi wrote:
orthogon wrote:Nouning of adjectives restores the cosmic balance upset by the verbing of nouns.

All we need to do now is adjective verbs to close the loop.

http://www.perfect-english-grammar.com/ ... tives.html
by gmalivuk
Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:08 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1774: "Adjective Foods"
Replies: 64
Views: 3193

Re: 1774: "Adjective Foods"

Actually now I look at it, some of those are only adjectival nouns anyway: gourmet , calorie and flavor , and premium only got adjectived a century or so ago. I would argue that "calorie" still hasn't been adjectived at all, it's just used in a lot of compounds. Do US regulations make the...
by gmalivuk
Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:19 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: 2016 US Presidential Election
Replies: 8482
Views: 419834

Re: 2016 US Presidential Election

For the record, archive.is can archive a page on demand, if you want to prove that a tweet said what you claim it said.

(You don't need photoshop to lie about it, as you can directly edit what your browser displays and take a genuine screenshot of that.)
by gmalivuk
Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:08 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]
Replies: 611
Views: 46754

Re: Infinite Balls and Jugs [solution]

If they were ordinal numbers, which include ω (as well as ω+1, ω+2, ..., 2ω, 3ω, and oh so far beyond), then what you are saying could have some merit, if only because simply saying "infinite" does not tell us exactly which ordinal version of infinite have passed through (yet another exam...
by gmalivuk
Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:50 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1771: "It Was I"
Replies: 61
Views: 4058

Re: 1771: "It Was I"

The rule isn't about being after a verb, since, at least in my dialect (which has "it is me", etc.), I'd always say "Am I right?", "Is he the one?", etc., not *"Am me right?" or *"Is me right?", *"Is him the one?"; those pronouns clearly c...
by gmalivuk
Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:52 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1771: "It Was I"
Replies: 61
Views: 4058

Re: 1771: "It Was I"

Therefore, if you say "It is me.", then you'd logically say "Whom are you?", if you are the kind of person who says "whom". Right? Wrong. The intuition to use object pronouns in "It [be] {person}" sentences almost certainly has to do with the pronoun coming a...

Go to advanced search