Search found 6000 matches

by LaserGuy
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:02 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D2)

Only maybe Vic and LaserGuy would stick to the cold logic of "it's the best in game choice". :roll: Meta Mafia Scum QT Post 5 mpolo: Is he a good NK target?: As a professional courtesy I'd rather not, since mpolo has a tendency to be NKed N1 very often. Meta Mafia LaserGuy private notes P...
by LaserGuy
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:41 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D2)

Yes, you say you were reluctant. But what made you decide to share? You've been dropping hints and said you've "practically revealed it already" when no one had any idea what your claim was. You've wanted to claim since the start of the day. I wanted to claim very much on a personal level...
by LaserGuy
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:21 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D2)

@LaserGuy: Do you think BoomFrog is just not trying, or that he's a Godfather or something? Looking more closely, I actually think that it may be that he is avoiding interacting with me personally for some reason. I will endeavor to return the favor. @BoomFrog: ha, we going to have another damn NNY...
by LaserGuy
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:42 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D2)

heuristically_alone wrote:Wam, laserguy, sabrar, and madgewho would you vote for if you didn't vote for a claimed cop?


If we don't lynch Vicarin, I'd probably go for No Lynch at this point. I might do wam in a pinch, but the other options are better IMHO.
by LaserGuy
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:44 pm UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D2)

Also, I should add, the fact that LaserGuy proposed No Lynch, does indicate non-scumness in the two town cops scenario. Which is why I'm not fully satisfied with my conclusions yet. Not sure how to parse this exactly, but I didn't propose that because I think that both are cops. If you're basing yo...
by LaserGuy
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:14 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D2)

The very next read I want to see is from LaserGuy. He had very pointedly avoided drawing any conclusions. This was heavy handed. I'm happy for others to continue speculation about each other, but I want LaserGuy to be the next one to give an opinion about the 2 cops issue. Also, the fact that you p...
by LaserGuy
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:10 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D2)

BoomFrog wrote:What do you think of the insane cop theory?


Why do you think this is more likely than claim/counterclaim from scum/Town?

Why is Vicarin Town?
by LaserGuy
Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:55 pm UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D2)

Sorry everybody busy weekend. Few things have stood out. 1) laser how do you know were at evens? I can count? We started at 11 players and lost one. Surely nl only works if scum are even too? Nope, doesn't matter. If we're 7-3, then one mislynch puts us at 5-3 MYLO, which means we can safely NL. If...
by LaserGuy
Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:24 pm UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D2)

wam wrote:Sorry everybody busy weekend. Few things have stood out.

1) laser how do you know were at evens?


I can count? We started at 11 players and lost one.
by LaserGuy
Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:03 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D2)

Although I don't expect anyone to have a serious interest in this, I will mention that since we're at even numbers, No Lynching is probably a valid play here. Would likely give some clarity on bessie/Vic if nothing else.
by LaserGuy
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:55 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D2)

Okay, let's see here. If Vic is scum, bessie was rolecopped last night. Vic probably would not have attempted this gambit unless he felt reasonably certain that bessie had a result on him, which means he probably knew that she was the cop at the start of D2. Moreover, this is the only way I can see ...
by LaserGuy
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:06 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D2)

Can you paraphrase the flavor text?
by LaserGuy
Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:57 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D2)

I was curious if your result was flavored or not.
by LaserGuy
Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:33 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D1)

I'm Berana Shemon, Aes Sedai of the White Ajah. I can use my logical abilities to determine whether the people around me are town or non-town, one person each night. I've already explained my second wincon, it's because I'm prideful and want to be right about my early choices. @Vic, just to confirm...
by LaserGuy
Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:28 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D2)

BoomFrog wrote:The very next read I want to see is from LaserGuy. He had very pointedly avoided drawing any conclusions.


When a man points a finger at someone else, he should remember that four of his fingers are pointing at himself.
by LaserGuy
Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:59 pm UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D2)

I think there's only two plausible scenarios: 1) Vicarin is Town, scum tried to shoot him and but he was protected. 2) Vicarin is scum, scum deliberately withheld to fake scenario 1. The third scenario involves Vic being roleblocked and scum hunting for a potential doctor, or scum faking the same a...
by LaserGuy
Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:52 pm UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D2)

Pretty sure that Jimbob usually gives safe claims, and if that's the case then I think Bessie and Vicarin both would be town. I don't see how scum having safe claims would imply both are Town. Note also that Vicarin is claiming a mafia result on bessie, which makes it much more difficult for both t...
by LaserGuy
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:40 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D2)

does it make sense for town and scum to each have one? Since the randomization of alignments occured after the assignment of powers, this would require a setup that would allow scum to control two roleblocks. It's not impossible, but I wouldn't bet on that having been the setup. I don't think this ...
by LaserGuy
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:26 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D2)

Should my feelings be hurt that you automatically assumed Vicarin would be telling the truth, and not that he was alive because he was mafia? :( I generally believe claims unless I have a compelling reason not to. I'm not sure I've ever actually seen a situation with a strong fake claim on D1. Have...
by LaserGuy
Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:35 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D2)

Unvote

Hmm... I was roleblocked last night so given Vic was alive I was expecting him to have a result. This is not so clear.

@bessie, can you claim flavor? I'm assuming you targeted Boom?
by LaserGuy
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:28 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D2)

Have reason to believe that claim is probably true.

Vote: bessie
by LaserGuy
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:55 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Libertarianism
Replies: 856
Views: 22001

Re: Libertarianism

That average income does not much resemble that of the US's, though. I based it on the actual income distribution in the United States. I was lazy and overshot a little bit, but the change is pretty negligible. The highest quintile in the United States has 59% of the income. My distribution used 62...
by LaserGuy
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:11 pm UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D1)

Unvote
Vote: moody
by LaserGuy
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:54 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D1)

Unvote
Vote: Vicarin
by LaserGuy
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:47 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D1)

Why is moody Town? Why is BoomFrog? I'm seeing moody as mostly town at the moment because of the 5 person pileup he recently had on him, and I think he wouldn't be in this situation without scum trying significantly to push it along (I guess he could be an indie and accidentally drew attention?). T...
by LaserGuy
Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:36 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D1)

@LaserGuy: basically everyone who isn't bessie, and I'm trying to get people to vote for bessie, because she's scum. I'm not sure how that wasn't obvious from what we were arguing about originally. Because you were voting for Mark until just recently. I'm not sure why you think you were going to co...
by LaserGuy
Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:03 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D1)

@Vic: Can you give an ordered town-scum list? I don't need reasons at the moment since time is short, just a straight list is fine. . I'm mainly trying to convince other people. If they have specific issues with my argument, I'll look at it closely, because trying to get other town to vote against s...
by LaserGuy
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:35 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D1)

[And if BoomFrog honestly truely believed you were indie at the time he made his bottom three list, I will consider it his application for the position of “bessie’s D2 tunnel”. I’m wondering if he already figured that out, since he went back in to character. I was going to provide immediate transla...
by LaserGuy
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:33 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2025: "Peer Review"
Replies: 13
Views: 2166

Re: 2025: "Peer Review"

I've always been a little confused at the existence of for profit journals.You'd think that universities themselves would have cornered that market, what with having direct access to most every researcher alive. Status. If you publish in the first rank journals, your status is higher. The perpetuat...
by LaserGuy
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:10 pm UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D1)

mpolo wrote:I have a certain suspicion that I may be playing a miller here.


Is there a way you can you give a flavor reason for this without going into too much detail about your role?
by LaserGuy
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:21 pm UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D1)

You aren't in my scum pool, btw


Lynch pool, that is.
by LaserGuy
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:20 pm UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D1)

Is not I don't care. I phrased it badly. Basically wanted to know if anything had updated your views since nothing had apparently. Well, it had only been a day or so, ~2 pages, between my reads and when you asked me about this (during which moody/Madge had barely/not posted), so I am not sure why y...
by LaserGuy
Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:29 pm UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D1)

My bottom three are Madge, moody, and Vic. Any more detail you would.like to share? Here are my reads on all three players. What additional details would you like to know? Basically I'm feeling your less engaged in this game than normal and am trying to work out if it is alignment indicative. That ...
by LaserGuy
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:24 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D1)

Unvote
Vote: moody

That post pings vaguely Town to me.
by LaserGuy
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:08 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D1)

My bottom three are Madge, moody, and Vic. Any more detail you would.like to share? Here are my reads on all three players. What additional details would you like to know? moody7277 : Kind of active lurky. Seems to be throwing a lot of shade at people without really backing it up. Leaning scum. Mad...
by LaserGuy
Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:47 am UTC
Forum: Mafia
Topic: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (N5)
Replies: 1130
Views: 15889

Re: Wheel of Time 3 - A Divided Sisterhood (D1)

My bottom three are Madge, moody, and Vic.
by LaserGuy
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:55 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Libertarianism
Replies: 856
Views: 22001

Re: Libertarianism

Sorry, what's the alternative assuming libertarians also believe in morality?
by LaserGuy
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:42 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Libertarianism
Replies: 856
Views: 22001

Re: Libertarianism

So, for the US, the average income* is $39kish, so a 50% solution ends up being 19.5k/yr, and the distribution you propose is roughly a 27% solution. Ballpark, almost 10k allowance is what it'd translate to in US terms. I'm not sure that 10k/yr is actually a basic income given that full time minimu...
by LaserGuy
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:06 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Where are all the balls?
Replies: 13
Views: 2234

Re: Where are all the balls?

Someone with better knowledge of the math can probably explain this better, but my understanding is that this kind of problem ill-posed. You can't perform an infinite number of steps because the number of operations you need to perform is unbound. I think the best you can say is that the balls are s...
by LaserGuy
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:34 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Libertarianism
Replies: 856
Views: 22001

Re: Libertarianism

If you wish to give everyone 27.5k/yr in basic income(half the average), you need to tax everyone an average rate of 50% in addition to the 10% for other services. Even taxed at 100%, an obviously unattainable amount, you need to tax a few of the highest earners. Feel free to construct whatever hyp...

Go to advanced search