Search found 5349 matches

by Chen
Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:03 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 3975
Views: 510455

Re: The Darker Side of the News

From USDA : Biological products produced in other countries may be imported into the United States for research and evaluation, transit shipment, or general sale and distribution, in accordance with Title 9, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 104. Basically, that means everything. Whatever we do, we...
by Chen
Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:51 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 3975
Views: 510455

Re: The Darker Side of the News

It doesn't help that they (i.e. all countries' customs forms) ask questions like "are you bringing food products into the country," when they really mean stuff like fresh fruit or vegetables or cheese, not cereal bars or chocolates, but nobody wants to tick any of the "yes" boxe...
by Chen
Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:14 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6248
Views: 901188

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Does private security really make a difference? What legally gives them the authority to physically remove someone from a location? I mean it gets around the training part since they are almost certainly more physically trained than regular store staff in this regard, but does it actually help in ca...
by Chen
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:16 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6248
Views: 901188

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Pressing Charges The discretion to prosecute rests entirely with the prosecutor's office. If "Starbucks declines to press charges" it basically means they refuse to cooperate with the prosecutors office (by providing evidence or testimony). This refusal to cooperate means the case will be...
by Chen
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:29 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: Luke Cage
Replies: 26
Views: 6091

Re: Luke Cage

This is probably the most prominent one. And you could maybe even argue that it's not a recast - she just wanted to fuck with Stark for some reason. No they're both different named characters though according to the MCU wiki. Just one of those random casting decisions no deeper meaning or anything ...
by Chen
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:49 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6248
Views: 901188

Re: Police misbehavior thread

In doing some reading, does Starbucks even have a legal say in whether or not charges are laid? From what I gather they can tell the prosecutor "we don't really want to go forward with this" but its on the prosecutor themselves to determine if the people are charged. When the article says ...
by Chen
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:51 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6248
Views: 901188

Re: Police misbehavior thread

I'm not interested in playing "who's the worst". But yeah, there's absolutely no reason for these people to spend the night in jail. Honestly there's no reason for the two of them not to be escorted out of the store and that's it - why do you need to do anything else to them? They refused...
by Chen
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:43 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6248
Views: 901188

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Thesh wrote:They could talk with them and try and understand the situation before arresting them.


I haven't watched the video (I'm at work) but the article that I provided indicated there was a discussion that went on. Clearly it was unproductive but they claim it happened.
by Chen
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:00 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6248
Views: 901188

Re: Police misbehavior thread

"It's hard to be critical of the police" in this case means you basically are OK with people having to spend the night in jail for no reason other than their blackness. Like, if everything went "by the book", that's an acceptable and reasonable result? This is why I asked can th...
by Chen
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:31 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6248
Views: 901188

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Did they really need to use force and handcuffs? Wouldn't they be able to tell the "intruders" that "now you get out" (and escalate if that does not happen)? Another article says they asked and the two people allegedly refused. https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/14/us/philadelphia-poli...
by Chen
Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:43 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6248
Views: 901188

Re: Police misbehavior thread

I guess in relation to this, under what circumstances could police choose to ignore a private store owner asking them to remove someone? The store owner removing them because they were black is presumably illegal discrimination so in that case would the police be justified in saying "no we're n...
by Chen
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:45 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: TSA not Bound by Constitution
Replies: 3
Views: 1940

Re: TSA not Bound by Constitution

I think this is more their internal lawyers and regulations don't have them check all of them vs federal or state law. I'm guessing with the intent that if they're doing something to violate federal or state law, it's on the government to come tell them to stop? I don't know how it works but it does...
by Chen
Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:49 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Trump presidency
Replies: 6177
Views: 464818

Re: Trump presidency

Aren't attorney's usually replaced at the start of a Presidential term?
by Chen
Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:43 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 3975
Views: 510455

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Was this always just an urban legend or something? I remember my parents telling me when I was a small kid to never joke about things like guns or explosives at airports because they will get you in trouble. I tried a quick google search but clearly the first 4 pages are all still about the article ...
by Chen
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:27 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 3975
Views: 510455

Re: The Darker Side of the News

I'm not sure why there's blanket distinctions between "adult" court and "youth" court to begin with. Why not just consider age as a factor during the trial? You can keep the special anonymity that youth defendants get but that hardly needs an entirely new court system.
by Chen
Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:24 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 3975
Views: 510455

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Angua wrote:And yet, the fact that the person is 16 (and was 15 when the crime occured in a crime with older youths), has no bearing on this whatsoever.


Yes that's another problematic aspect of this. Or well youth being tried as adults in general.
by Chen
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:57 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 3975
Views: 510455

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Pretty standard Felony murder. Realistically this should apply to some of these and not others. The example in the article of someone dying from a heart attack after getting mugged seems reasonable to me. For an accomplice I'd think the standard would need to be something like "would the initia...
by Chen
Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:34 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6248
Views: 901188

Re: Police misbehavior thread

The argument is your initial statement is that when dealing with violent white people they show restraint and violent black people they don't (paraphrased). The deaths on arrest and arrest statistics don't back that up. The statistics were showing black people corresponded to ~30% of the arrests/enc...
by Chen
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:17 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6248
Views: 901188

Re: Police misbehavior thread

There are dozens of cases of police calmly walking up to a white man armed with an actual gun and arresting them without firing a shot. Somehow the same doesn't happen with black people. I don't give a shit whether their fight or flight instinct is triggered or inoperative or they roll a die to dec...
by Chen
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:28 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Imagine you're an evil dictator...
Replies: 6
Views: 1921

Re: Imagine you're an evil dictator...

The whole universal redistribution of wealth clearly isn't the way most of these long lasting dictatorships work, so I need to question the conclusion on that being the best or most efficient way to run things. North Korea's regime has lasted a LONG time without anything like that. Crushing dissent ...
by Chen
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:01 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Trump presidency
Replies: 6177
Views: 464818

Re: Trump presidency

I mean this is a horrible waste of resources and time, but I find it funny the the national guard can't be used to prevent people from illegally crossing your borders. I mean isn't that inherently what a military is for?
by Chen
Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:50 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Census Dickery
Replies: 59
Views: 8089

Re: Census Dickery

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to get from your post, Chen. That your tax dollars go to fair number of things that documented or undocumented people can use. The majority of your taxes do in fact go to things that undocumented people cannot use (social security, medicare). The taxes that are diffic...
by Chen
Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:34 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Census Dickery
Replies: 59
Views: 8089

Re: Census Dickery

The main cost involved is public school - they can't collect welfare, social security, SNAP, etc. Communities with immigrants generally have lower crime rates so police cost isn't an issue. In any case, the point remain that an accurate tally is required. If there's a higher cost for infrastructure...
by Chen
Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:04 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Census Dickery
Replies: 59
Views: 8089

Re: Census Dickery

The census determines federal funds granted to local towns. It determines voting districts. It determines local programs to help residents. Whether I am a documented or undocumented immigrant, I still pay taxes, I'm still represented by elected officials, and I'm still a person living here. To impl...
by Chen
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:29 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6248
Views: 901188

Re: Police misbehavior thread

There are definitely less killings in many western countries. My gut attributes this to the gun culture in the US, but someone correct if other correlations have been made. In terms of overall police brutality though, that tends to be a problem anywhere you give people the authority to use force ove...
by Chen
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:18 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Census Dickery
Replies: 59
Views: 8089

Re: Census "Dickery"

And frankly only let the people who file taxes vote. ...and they get votes in proportion to the amount of taxes they pay? Note how I said file rather than pay. Now looking more into it, it appears some people don't actually need to even file their taxes so that doesn't really work in the system I p...
by Chen
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:20 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Census Dickery
Replies: 59
Views: 8089

Re: Census Dickery

Thesh wrote:No taxation without representation, I say.


Seems like a much better way to conduct the census, at least for determining representatives. Base it on the people who file taxes. And frankly only let the people who file taxes vote.
by Chen
Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:51 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Police misbehavior thread
Replies: 6248
Views: 901188

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Hypothetical. What happens if we were to require every cop to carry a flashbang? Would there be fewer injuries or more? Cops making a no knock raid, and bang every room befire moving in. Owner doesn't get the chance to be a "threat to my fellow officers lives". But every person in the hou...
by Chen
Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:48 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future
Replies: 1798
Views: 285059

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Yes, people can lie down on train tracks and get killed. Which is why civilized areas restrict access to train tracks, because otherwise people die from it. Insofar as they fail, those deaths are on the passengers and operators of the train system. A blood price for a faster commute. Decide if it i...
by Chen
Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:51 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future
Replies: 1798
Views: 285059

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

so they posted the video of the uber car: https://www.facebook.com/TempePolice/videos/2337144116311806/ which seems to contradict what was said earlier. far from "stepping out of a shadow", the woman was in the middle of the road, already having crossed the left lane. the "shadow&quo...
by Chen
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:32 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: Black Panther
Replies: 206
Views: 20228

Re: Black Panther

rmsgrey wrote:Of course, if you want to know all the background going into Infinity War, you'll want to have seen all the MCU movies (except possibly Incredible Hulk).


Ant-Man is not terribly important continuity wise (but a good movie). Iron Man 3 is also not too pertinent in terms of the Infinity War.
by Chen
Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:06 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future
Replies: 1798
Views: 285059

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

But how many are on the road? Most people are not axe wielding maniacs named Steve. If there were equal numbers of Steve's and not Steve's, and everyone not Steve killed more than everyone Steve, we could argue that axe wielding maniacs named Steve are less dangerous than the average. But if there ...
by Chen
Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:16 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future
Replies: 1798
Views: 285059

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

commodorejohn wrote:"...but the theory is sound!"


How many non-autonomous cars hit pedestrians yesterday? I imagine the number is a lot higher than 1.
by Chen
Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:49 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: More efficient airplane boarding protocols
Replies: 66
Views: 6441

Re: More efficient airplane boarding protocols

I assumed most people try not to check bags because it costs money. If I could check bags for free, I'd have no problem waiting at the carousel. There's the risk of losing it too. If I'm going on a trip and I only need what fits in a carry-on I will take it that way both to avoid needing to wait fo...
by Chen
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:30 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: More efficient airplane boarding protocols
Replies: 66
Views: 6441

Re: More efficient airplane boarding protocols

Realistically people should get a weight allowance and have to pay if it's over that, Why weight? The delay is due to bulk, not weight, and the two are not well correlated (especially when one is encouraged to put the heaviest things in carryon so that one's luggage doesn't go over the limit). The ...
by Chen
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:23 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: More efficient airplane boarding protocols
Replies: 66
Views: 6441

Re: More efficient airplane boarding protocols

And all that said, the different methods didn't really change the time all that dramatically. Changing carry-on vs checked bag rules would probably be FAR more effective in reducing that time. Realistically this would come at customer's cost in that they'd likely start charging for carry-ons. Realis...
by Chen
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:52 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: More efficient airplane boarding protocols
Replies: 66
Views: 6441

Re: More efficient airplane boarding protocols

I am very surprised, but also slightly doubtful of one test done by Mythbusters. I'm sure airline companies have a lot of data on this and I'd be interested in seeing it. https://arxiv.org/pdf/1108.5211v1.pdf Paper shows that rear ordered or block boarding is pretty slow compared to other methods l...
by Chen
Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:34 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: More efficient airplane boarding protocols
Replies: 66
Views: 6441

Re: More efficient airplane boarding protocols

:idea: I think it would be neat if an airline experimented with rewarding passengers for fast boarding. They could arrange for the optimal boarding system, tell passengers that if they follow all the rules they should board within a set time, and if that time is met then the airline will give all p...
by Chen
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:11 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Board games anyone?
Replies: 914
Views: 208257

Re: Board games anyone?

So our group just started our Pandemic S2 game. We absolutely crushed S1 with a score in the 900s if I recall correctly. Total of 2 losses. I think it was mainly carried by our Researcher/Scientist combination with the relationship that let them trade cards even easier Anyways, S2 gave us a nice rud...
by Chen
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:46 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: sick realization: you have negative dollars
Replies: 161
Views: 16717

Re: sick realization: you have negative dollars

Depending on where you live the government provides subsidies for housing as well as other basic needs such as food. You can definitely make an argument that they should do more. To me it seems your argument would be they should simply provide everyone with untradeable parcels of land. If that's you...

Go to advanced search