Search found 197 matches

by Velexia
Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:49 pm UTC
Forum: Language/Linguistics
Topic: You keep using that word...
Replies: 39
Views: 12887

You keep using that word...

But I do not think it means what you think it means.

(This thread is being dedicated to words you see used often which are amusing, speculative, strange, or whatever =) )

Inconceivable!

I'll start... Metric. I keep seeing it being used for conversation metrics. It's pretty bizarre to me.
by Velexia
Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:52 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Sleep-time holodeck experiences
Replies: 3381
Views: 686137

Re: What were your dreams last night?

Last night a small portion of my dream included a small lizard like creature that lived inside of my bed (in the dream it was a waterbed-aquarium). It was mostly bipedal, about the size of a one month old kitten, except with a tail as long as the rest of its body. It was also about as smart as a cat...
by Velexia
Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:19 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

Wait, wait. Are you saying....after all this...that what you mean is that something falling into a black hole actually does cross the horizon, its just that no one outside will ever be able to observe it happening?! yes, if you ignore the entire rest of the universe, and look only at the math, you ...
by Velexia
Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:07 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

Now you are just misquoting me for the sake of argument. All of those were relative to an outside observer. An observer falling in experiences time in their local reference frame normally... but what is actually happening is not so simple. So, if you ignore the entire rest of the universe, and what ...
by Velexia
Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:53 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

doogly wrote:This thread isn't about you. Usefulness is not determined by whether or not something I say makes a position impression on you.


I did not say it was about me, and what you said was worthless on any scale.
by Velexia
Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:38 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

doogly wrote:Oh wow, that must have been a terrible post! You couldn't even get Velexia to conjure up numbers that just sort of felt right to them this time.


Do you not having anything useful to say? You could just try not saying anything, in that case.
by Velexia
Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:17 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

So riddle me this, parrot: If at the inner horizon... Riddle me this: how can you even reach the inner horizon if you can't even cross the outer horizon? You've been stubbornly insisting that you can't reach the outer horizon, and now you're relying on what someone else has said you'd see if you cr...
by Velexia
Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:14 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

So riddle me this, parrot: If at the inner horizon there is a burst of light, which is infinitely speeded up, and the entire history of the universe... Why is it there, and how did it arrive there before you managed to get there? Yes that's right, I am asking you to think. Scary business. …the end r...
by Velexia
Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:59 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

A quick google finds the site you copied that quote from, which is quite explicitly not about the same Schwarzschild black holes everyone else in this thread has been discussing. That description is for a charged black hole, which indeed does behave differently than what we've been describing, beca...
by Velexia
Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:18 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

At the inner horizon, you are hit by an infinitely bright, infinitely energetic burst of light. The bright point of light is an image of the outside universe reflected by the gravitationally repulsive singularity. The burst of light contains, infinitely speeded up, the entire history of the univers...
by Velexia
Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:10 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Sleep-time holodeck experiences
Replies: 3381
Views: 686137

Re: What were your dreams last night?

I've done too much since I woke up, but I distinctly remember being on some kind of rover-bus with other people in Afghanistan, except we were on an alien planet... and I was discussing my plans for a Bad Piggies style contraption that would get us back into space. I had a lego model of it and other...
by Velexia
Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:54 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

Well aren't you all just pathetically smug. (Look at how cool we are, we used our stupidity and/or asshattery to get someone to abandon thread.)

Malconstant, I would love to discuss this with you, perhaps in PMs away from these trollish hyenas.
by Velexia
Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:03 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

Rule the third: Keep things civil. Sticks on the ice boys and girls. If you don't agree with someone on a particular theory/question do not attack them. Attack their math all you like, but for the most part we want to see people working together to help reach a common goal. Things like, what happens...
by Velexia
Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:51 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Dork Soulds
Replies: 780
Views: 120645

Re: Dork Soulds

Azrael001 wrote:
Velexia wrote:
Azrael001 wrote:
Velexia wrote:"It will be alright... I still have you, dear sister... don't I?" :cry:
Yeah, my primary covenant is with her because of that line.


I gave her all of my Humanity because I felt so... bad...
Spoiler:
If you give her 30, you can save Solaire.


Oh I gave her way more than that =3
by Velexia
Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:45 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

I'm done debating this with -------, It's giving me a headache. Enjoy wallowing in your ignorance. I doubt it is willful ignorance, but then, some people are being pretty dogmatic, and unwilling to seek out confirmation. Like I have always said, don't just believe me because I am saying it, do the r...
by Velexia
Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:39 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

Ironic, given Velexia just dismissed someone without any [proper] maths. I know I've had this explained to me before about black holes, but I'm confused about why the gravity well of a relatively larger blackhole is more gradual than a smaller blackhole? Is this because the more massive the blackho...
by Velexia
Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:34 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

Lets do a thought experiment. ... Be warned that I will not be using actual equations here, but I fully welcome anyone to do so if they feel like spending the time. The results will be analogous. ... And then you proceed to just make up some wrong maths instead of "using actual equations"...
by Velexia
Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:25 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

Stars don't vanish into a tiny circle behind you, they mostly flatten out into a ring 90 degrees from the radially inward/outward direction. You're continuing to ignore the velocity effects. http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/bhibig_gif.html I was referring to a case in which you fall straight in, ...
by Velexia
Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:11 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

2 O.M.G... Its basically a metaphor for "far away enough not to experience any significant effects from the object in question." It is not meant to be taken as a literal physical coordinate, what it means is "Alice is not being significantly affected by any effects local to d=0"...
by Velexia
Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:33 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

Thank you for posting this FancyHat! It makes it really easy to understand what is happening, and is only slightly patronising. ;) It's just unfortunate that it is also incorrect. Is it even true that an observer falling into a black hole, looking backwards at some distant object (radially and arbi...
by Velexia
Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:13 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

In fact, because the horizon actually expands to meet and gobble up the infalling matter, the matter actually does cross the horizon... Ah, see you made an error, right here. The horizon did not change its position. A new horizon was formed relative to the outside observer. Relative to the matter f...
by Velexia
Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:59 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

Nothing happens to the rest of the universe. It isn't doing anything. You are the one doing things. You just watch the rest of it. You see it blueshifted. This contradicts what you say - you have a sign error. If someone at infinity is waving bye bye to you as you fall in, you say the frequency of ...
by Velexia
Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:30 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

OK, I'll bite. As you fall into a black hole, you see the rest of the universe blueshifted, because the light from it is falling into a gravitational potential. To calculate the blueshift you do integrals in the schwarzschild metric, making sure to use coordinates that are continuous across the hor...
by Velexia
Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:16 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

Didn't you? How would I know? Knowledge of general relativity, and theories on black holes perhaps. Dude, the disagreements have been pointed out a million times, but that is literally all we can say: "Derp...that doesn't sound right...derp" - because you pointedly refuse to show that you...
by Velexia
Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:58 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

Note: the mathematics of general relativity are unambiguous about what happens to things falling into a Schwarzschild black hole. Sure, they may not actually be correct, because we don't yet have a solid theory of quantum gravity. But they are not hazy or poorly understood or up for debate, as they...
by Velexia
Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:38 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

To the best of my recollection, all we know of your theory is: Nothing ever crosses the event horizon as it would take an infinite amount of time to do so, due to various time-related effect. Matter builds up on the outside of the event horizon, gradually building a larger and larger shell and thus...
by Velexia
Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:06 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

FancyHat wrote:
Velexia wrote:...

I notice your latest post keeps changing. You seem to be posting it while still writing it. Wouldn't it make more sense to finish writing it first, and then post it once it's finished?


I'm obeying the no double posting rule.
by Velexia
Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:01 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

Quantum gravity (not quantum mechanics, which gives you QFT in curved space, Hawking radiation, all sorts of goodies, and is unambiguous) is not left out, we just haven't talked about it at all yet. We would like you to actually understand General Relativity first. There are not competing classical...
by Velexia
Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:27 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

You claim there is more than one theory on black holes. Doogly points out that your statement, while true, is uninteresting and rather off topic, as the multiple theories that exist are not about what folks in this thread are talking about. This thread is about black holes specifically, and whether...
by Velexia
Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:12 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Sleep-time holodeck experiences
Replies: 3381
Views: 686137

Re: What were your dreams last night?

Most of my last dream last night involved packing bags, and sorting out which pieces of laundry were mine, and then going on a roadtrip back home. All while being sure that I would be back in time to go to work at a reasonable hour... Which is funny because last night was one of the few nights that ...
by Velexia
Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:10 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

doogly wrote:Indeed.



Okay... so, what would your point be, then? Why bother to say it? I'm legitimately curious.
by Velexia
Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:06 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

One thing that many people seem to forget is that there is more than one theory on black holes. Clearly, I have chosen which theory I ascribe to, the one that makes the most sense to me. Only at the level of quantum gravity. Can you make that a complete sentence? I really have no idea what you are ...
by Velexia
Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:01 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: The Truth
Replies: 121
Views: 33729

Re: The Truth

How exactly would the plane take off, just wondering =P
by Velexia
Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:01 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0231: "Cat Proximity"
Replies: 180
Views: 43850

Re: 0231: "Cat Proximity"

I speak to my friend Catherine in cat <_<

It's all about inflection and tone and such =)
by Velexia
Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:17 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?
Replies: 279
Views: 44165

Re: Black Holes - not (yet) possible?

There could be any number of reasons for a lonely planet. It could have formed by itself from a small amount of nebular gas, it could have survived a solar system destroying event (seems unlikely, but who knows), it could have been pulled away by a passing system... the list goes on. The amount of m...
by Velexia
Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:53 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1135: "Arachnoneurology"
Replies: 107
Views: 24127

Re: 1135: "Arachnoneurology"

Klear wrote:BTW, that reminds me that I hate it when people assume that if there is an infinite number of universes, everything imaginable must exist.


I can see why you feel that way, but then again... infinity... I guess it depends on whether or not universal laws evolve as new universes are created?
by Velexia
Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:50 pm UTC
Forum: Gaming
Topic: Dork Soulds
Replies: 780
Views: 120645

Re: Dork Soulds

Azrael001 wrote:
Velexia wrote:"It will be alright... I still have you, dear sister... don't I?" :cry:
Yeah, my primary covenant is with her because of that line.


I gave her all of my Humanity because I felt so... bad...
by Velexia
Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:47 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!
Replies: 1371
Views: 315264

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC!

The Scyphozoa wrote:It's Wonderbolts.


So it is. It's been a while since I saw that episode =)

Weeks wrote:STOP THE PRESSES, SOMEBODY SAW SEXUAL INNUENDO IN A KIDS' SHOW


But... but that was the best part of the episode. Wait this is a kid's show?
by Velexia
Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:48 pm UTC
Forum: Movies and TV Shows
Topic: Mindfuck Movies
Replies: 72
Views: 37251

Re: Mindfuck Movies

I figured by putting Requiem for a Dream on the 5 end, it would be clear... if not, sorry... 5 is lots of Mindfuck (or just Fuuuuuuuuck...) 1 is No Mind fuck 2 is Minimal Mind fuckery 3 is Decent Mind fucking 4 is Satiating 5 is well, 5. Definitely not scaling this on how hard a movie is to understa...
by Velexia
Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:12 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Religion: The Deuce
Replies: 5301
Views: 554738

Re: Religion: The Deuce

Considering that Dark Matter and Dark Energy are not proven to exist, I would say that they fit into the same realm as anything people want to prove exists... like say God, but since I'm not the one with the purple text... Also, I have pretty good grasp on time dilation, and I love it. I think anyon...

Go to advanced search